Sign in to follow this  
dongo

Unearthing the temple

Professor Howard Carter and his team have found a giant dune in the middle of the Nubian Desert. A sand storm forced them out of the site but when they returned they discovered that the storm had removed sand and rocks and a smooth surface just appeared on the top of the dune. It’s time to excavate.

1306019154m_SPLASH.jpg

1306019166m_SPLASH.jpg

1306019148m_SPLASH.jpg

After a lot of digging a roof and part of a chapitel came out from the sand...

1306058559m_SPLASH.jpg

1306058564m_SPLASH.jpg

That is awesome, your choice of colors works perfectly.

Is the entire thing solid bricks? Or is it hollow inside?

The dune is half hollow and half solid. What it is inside we will see... :grin:

Quite honestly, I thought it looked a little boring at first. But now that I know this is an actual unearthing of a temple, it's a lot more exciting! I can't wait to see the finished thing!

Ha haa! I wasn't the only one to call a figure Howard Carter! This looks like it will develope into something even more interesting than a well landscaped dune!

Good Work :thumbup:

Now this is we can call a REAL work-in-progress ! :laugh:

Fantastic idea 'dongo', I can't wait to see what's inside.....hope there is no curse ? :devil:

AWESOME construction, sand dude through to the outer walls of the temple - oh, what will see inside ? :grin:

Brick On 'dongo' ! :grin:

Pretty good job on the mountain landscaping dongo, the tan color and effective sloping of the rock formations make for a realistic-looking excavation site. I'd also love to see what will this team unearth beneath. Very well done so far! :thumbup:

Awesome idea, and I really like your concept of unveiling the MOC progressively!

The excavation continues under the sun. Professor Carter examines every detail of the temple.

1306086608m_SPLASH.jpg

1306086617m_SPLASH.jpg

1306086624m_SPLASH.jpg

SOOO much tan!!!!

I love the idea behind this ... WIP-MOC I don't think I ever saw someone do a build that was .. let's say alive progressing.

Can wait to see the rest of the build excavation and the treasures it holds!!!

The landscape and back-story add so much value to the build!

Pirate

Excavation continues... Professor Carter thinks he has succeeded in finding the temple of Debod and hurries the people in digging and digging... but he won't take a shovel!

1306273501m_SPLASH.jpg

1306273508m_SPLASH.jpg

this is just beautiful!

It's a very nice idea, and I just love archeaological themed MOCs.

Great work Dongo! This excavation took me by surprise and it continues to dwell on me. The beautiful work on the tops of the columns leaves me drooling haha! Keep working on excavating!

No more digging for Carter's team. They have finally removed all the sand and stones accumulated along the centuries and the temple of Debod now shines under the fierce sun of the Nubian Desert. Professor Carter is now taking pictures with his old "Leica" and he also finds time to take the last shot of the whole team in front of the temple.

1306273515m_SPLASH.jpg

1306273554m_SPLASH.jpg

1306273567m_SPLASH.jpg

1306273579m_SPLASH.jpg

This MOC was inspired by the real temple of Debod that you can see in Madrid, Spain, my hometown. It was a present of the Egyptian government for the Spanish collaboration to save the famous temple of Abu Simbel from drawning after the construction of Asswan Dam.

That temple really was worth the wait (but the wait wasn't so bad, as your story and landscape made it interesting). I like the pillars a lot. However, how did the temple not fill up with sand? :tongue:

Well done, and thanks for sharing!

A fantastic and interactive build, Dongo. :thumbup: I had no idea at first this was going to progress, so when I looked at this topic for the second time, I was like 'Wait...there's something different about this pic.' And then a few days later, it's completley unearthed! I like the little story behind it, and the architecture (And the sand) is amazing. Were you actually removing your dune from around the fully-built building, or were you doing it another way? Oh, and the professor should hire some...er, less 'chunky' workmen. :laugh:

Wonderful wonderful idea! I was going to say to the first picture that it was well built, but rather bland, and that it needed something to focus on. And then you go and are creative. Awesome, I love the scenes as well of the evacuation, it was a lot of fun to watch.

Now I wasn't expecting to see that underneath all of that default_thumbup.gif. All those explores need are few windows and doors and they will have themselves a great holiday home default_tong.gif.

I've enjoyed seeing this expedition and I am hoping to see you do something similar to this in the future.