aawsum

Moccing a new train with a 3-axle bogie

traintech1.jpg

Coming out of my dark ages was step 1, buying sets step 2, Moccing new trains step 3.

So that is where I am right now, trying out some ideas for a new train that I have thought of.

Which one is still a bit of a secret, but for sure it will have 2 bogies with eacht 3 axles and it will be motorised using PF.

Biggest problem in using 3 axle is taking the corners on a track. Scanning flickr I saw some thoughts that I used to create my own version.

The idea is that the left and right axle are powered, and the middle one is able to move a bit sideways so that taking corners becomes easier.

First some pictures.

onderstel-1.gif

The whole bogie in one piece, the mid axle can slide.

onderstel-2.gif

Mid part taken off to show the construction.

Biggest problem of this construction is the stability, the axles have to much space to move, and because the middle part is not attached the whole bogie is bending and sometimes even breaks in 2 parts because of the force of the pf.

I am looking for other ideas or tips and tricks how to make my construction better, I am open for all kind of ideas

Please reply with your thoughts on this.

ps.

something different, the bogie has traction problems, while on full speed it has a hard time to come around a small oval test track. The bogies is palced underneath a 24 wide train base, an xl engine on top, and the battery set in de middle.

there is a excellent article about diesel with PF in railbricks #6

there are instructions for a 3 axeled bogie made for PF that works very well

railbricks

just download the web version and find the article about PF and there should be instructions at the bottom

I have used the Railbricks three axle bogie design, and it does work pretty well. However, the first thing you should do is get some O-rings like the ones recommended by SavaTheAggie. The grey rings that come with those train wheels are totally inadequate.

EDIT: And make sure to gear the XL motor for more speed. I had an XL motor attached directly to a bogie like yours, and the train was so slow that it didn't work well at all.

Edited by soc399

I can't help you much with the sliding center axle, but this photo might be of some help:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swoofty/28545...57601107812903/

I can, however, help you greatly with your traction problems.

http://www.railbricks.com/railblog-categor...unctions-primer

Thanks, I did see your pictures on flickr. I am still puzzled how you fixated that center part, the black color prevents met to see it in detail. Do you have any other detailed pics ?

Also the article on the o-rings I saw, however I am still searching in the Netherlands to find them :(

there is a excellent article about diesel with PF in railbricks #6

there are instructions for a 3 axeled bogie made for PF that works very well

I saw this one, creating the 3-axle bogie is not an issue, but taking corners is :( and thats why I am trying to build one like I mentioned above

EDIT: And make sure to gear the XL motor for more speed. I had an XL motor attached directly to a bogie like yours, and the train was so slow that it didn't work well at all.

I tried gearing it, but for testing prurposes I attached it directly for the moment. Do you have an example on what gears you used and how you created your construction ?

Thanks a lot sofar for the help.

I saw this one, creating the 3-axle bogie is not an issue, but taking corners is :( and thats why I am trying to build one like I mentioned above

I had a look at the bogie in Railbricks and that should do what you're looking for; it has a sliding middle axle.

I tried gearing it, but for testing prurposes I attached it directly for the moment. Do you have an example on what gears you used and how you created your construction ?

The construction is really simple, with the XL motor slid into the cab of the locomotive like the Emerald Night. I used one of these attached to the motor to drive one of the smaller bevel gears like you already use in your bogie. The smaller gear sits on the axle coming up from the drive wheels, and the larger gear meets it at a right angle (that's why you need two bevel gears). Sorry I don't have pictures, but I would have to disassemble my loco to take them. You may want to use an even larger gear or multiple steps. My setup drives large Lego train wheels, and the locomotive is about the same speed as the Emerald Night.

If you can't find proper o-rings (try wherever you would buy plumbing supplies), the small white Lego rubber bands might work. I haven't tried them myself, but they look to be the right size.

I had a look at the bogie in Railbricks and that should do what you're looking for; it has a sliding middle axle.

:blush::blush::blush::blush: I totally missed that article on page 63-65. I was confusing it with something else. How the .... could I have missed this :blush::blush::blush::blush:

I used one of these attached to the motor to drive one of the smaller bevel gears like you already use in your bogie. The smaller gear sits on the axle coming up from the drive wheels, and the larger gear meets it at a right angle (that's why you need two bevel gears).

mmmm, I will give it a shot, until now my constructions are a bit unstable, but I am learning fast

mmmm, I will give it a shot, until now my constructions are a bit unstable, but I am learning fast

I have that same problem. I just rebuilt my loco yesterday because the gears were slipping occasionally. You will be surprised how much difference a little extra speed will make in the train's performance, so it is worth the trouble. It took me three complete rebuilds and many more tweaks to make my first power functions loco work well. Good luck!

Great idea, I may have to lift this for some of my "covered wagons"! (EMD E-series, Alco PA, FM Erie-Built and 5-axle C-liner) Possibly even adapt it for the big eight-axle DD35/40, U50 and C855... (OTOH, DD series were D-D, IIRC C855 was B+B-B+B and there were two U50 options, a C-C and a B+B-B+B.) Originally, I had just been planning four complete 9v power-trucks, so my DD's woulda been more like the C855 below the walkway...

Thanks for the inspiration!

----------------

Now playing: Basil Poledouris - The Bomb Run

via FoxyTunes