BNSF Caboose MOC

13 replies to this topic

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:57 AM

I stumbled upon this today.  It's a great rendition of a BNSF caboose.  This would go very nicely with the BNSF engine.  A very nice MOC:

Posted Image

#2 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:22 AM

I saw this, too, yesterday. Since I'm not all too familiar with American train colors and don't know if it's common cabooses sport the same colors as the locos I'm not really fond of the color scheme. I love it on the loco, but I like this builder's Santa Fe Caboose more.

Posted Image

The BNSF version somehow is... so colorful... dunno, cabooses to me are either brown-ish or red-ish, that's just how I picture them ;-)

But the models look darn good, either one of them!

#3 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

Member: 839

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

This is a picture of a real BSNF caboose.
It's pretty dirty!

Posted Image
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#4 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

View Posthighlandcattle, on Jan 17 2007, 10:47 AM, said:

This is a picture of a real BSNF caboose.
It's pretty dirty!
Yeah it is ;-) But it shows the models are pretty accurate...

#5 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Impressively accurate....  8-|  
I think I should buy the TLC Burlington Northern Santa Fe Locomotive set.... right now.

#6 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:32 PM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2007, 01:11 PM, said:

Impressively accurate....  8-|  
I think I should buy the TLC Burlington Northern Santa Fe Locomotive set.... right now.
Hurry, they're already sold out in the US and I haven't seen any in the Stores here. S@H still has them (but for 41.99 now, used to be 39.99 a year or so ago)...

#7 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 01:32 PM, said:

Hurry, they're already sold out in the US and I haven't seen any in the Stores here. S@H still has them (but for 41.99 now, used to be 39.99 a year or so ago)...
I was in the TRUīs at the Simmeringer HUMA center on 23. December and there were approx. 4-5 of them....
I donīt think they sell like hot Leberkässemmeln there, so maybe Iīll be lucky....

#8 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2007, 01:45 PM, said:

I was in the TRUīs at the Simmeringer HUMA center on 23. December and there were approx. 4-5 of them....
I donīt think they sell like hot Leberkässemmeln there, so maybe Iīll be lucky....
Really?!?! You know the price? Sometimes TRU is a little lower than SRP...

#9 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 02:06 PM, said:

Really?!?! You know the price? Sometimes TRU is a little lower than SRP...
Not too cheap, € 40,- or 41,-.... I was grabbing one, but then I skipped my decision in favor of the
Building Crane.... Anyways, Iīm not completely sure how useful this set would be for me.... I donīt
own any train set and the new Cargo Train is on top of my most-wanted-list, and I donīt know if
the new motor and IR system (whene`er available separately....) can be build into it....
But itīs so nice....  :'-)

#10 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2007, 02:34 PM, said:

Not too cheap, € 40,- or 41,-....
It used to be 39.99, some shops sold it for 40.99, on S@H it's now 41.99.

I was grabbing one, but then I skipped my decision in favor of the
Building Crane.... Anyways, Iīm not completely sure how useful this set would be for me.... I donīt
own any train set and the new Cargo Train is on top of my most-wanted-list, and I donīt know if
the new motor and IR system (whene`er available separately....) can be build into it....
But itīs so nice....  :'-)
It is, and I need two more...

The cargo train already comes with the RC system. Or do you mean if the new motor fits into the BNSF? That would be blasphemy ;-)

If you can fit the BNSF on the new base plate it's no problem. Another possibility would be to use a battery waggon (like 4.5V) and have the new motor powered from there. No nifty modification needed. Or you throw a battery pack into the back of the BNSF (it's hollow, 2 studs wide) and have the motor powered from there (needs a bit of cabling modification).

Anyway, when you have the cargo train I might just drop by in the "eleventh" and have a look see ;-)

#11 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 03:21 PM, said:

The cargo train already comes with the RC system. Or do you mean if the new motor fits into the BNSF? That would be blasphemy ;-)

Anyway, when you have the cargo train I might just drop by in the "eleventh" and have a look see ;-)
Thatīs what I meant, the new motor and IR receiver into the BNSF I think.... If I start now with trains it would not be very handy to have two systems I guess.... And you would need to drop till Schwechat....  ;-)

#12 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Posted 17 January 2007 - 04:01 PM

View PostAsuka, on Jan 17 2007, 03:37 PM, said:

And you would need to drop till Schwechat....  ;-)
I like the airport ;-)

Back on topic: does anybody actually know what's in that cabin on top of the roof? The MOT caboose just uses a "container" on a 4x6 plate with no connection to the main cabin below. Is that a sleeping compartment or what? A look-out? I haven't "googled" yet...

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It's a cupola where "The crew sat in elevated seats in order to inspect the train from this perch."

Elevated seats... hmm... that would make an interesting modification ,and shouldn't be too difficult... hmmm...

Edited by Hobbes, 17 January 2007 - 04:19 PM.

#13 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

Member: 839

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 17 2007, 05:01 PM, said:

I like the airport ;-)

Back on topic: does anybody actually know what's in that cabin on top of the roof? The MOT caboose just uses a "container" on a 4x6 plate with no connection to the main cabin below. Is that a sleeping compartment or what? A look-out? I haven't "googled" yet...

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It's a cupola where "The crew sat in elevated seats in order to inspect the train from this perch."

Elevated seats... hmm... that would make an interesting modification ,and shouldn't be too difficult... hmmm...
You should check it out on wikipedia. The box on top is actually a look-out so the can check if any of the cargo has come loose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caboose
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#14 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

View PostHobbes, on Jan 16 2007, 11:22 PM, said:

I saw this, too, yesterday. Since I'm not all too familiar with American train colors and don't know if it's common cabooses sport the same colors as the locos I'm not really fond of the color scheme. I love it on the loco, but I like this builder's Santa Fe Caboose more.
It is common to have a caboose in the same color(s) as the engine; although I rarely see the same when the train is rolling.  

Here's a shot of the real thing:

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users