gormadoc

Ninja Sword

In the old Ninja sets, the base of the katana was octagonal in shape. 30173.png

The New PoP Shamshir has a squarer base. 30173b.jpg

Which one do you prefer, old or new?

Edited by gormadoc

Funny, PoP is not set in Japan.......... a sword used back in the times of the Persians was called a shamshir.

Shamshir1o.jpg

To answer your question - sitting on the fence - both are fine by me.....one is Ninja, the other is Persian.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I prefer the new one to the old. There is a pic in one of the PoP review threads that I can't seem to find now. Hmm...

Edited by UsernameMDM

I don't have any Samurai sets unfortunately, but I ordered some Prince of Persia sets so I will have the new katana.

4479473767_1e328a61d6.jpg

Aside from the guard, the Shamshir and Katana are identical, down to the detailing on the handle. My guess is that it's just an updated mold.

Here are the Bricklink pages for the Shamshir and Katana.

Edited by Ricecracker

The old one came in silver, too.

Which set? I don't see it on Bricklink. Well, in Fight for the Dagger, but I'm sure that's some kind of mix-up.

Which set? I don't see it on Bricklink. Well, in Fight for the Dagger, but I'm sure that's some kind of mix-up.

Who said that? :grin:

Who said that? :grin:

Who said what? What said who? Who are you? Who am I? What is the meaning of life?

WHAT ARE HOTDOGS MADE OF?

So...the only difference is color and guard shape. Even so, I still like the new. I have 6 old golden katanas, they are everywhere. I really need a use for them.

From part of the animal that is not used in other products. Example of the meat that goes in a hot-dog is the face and feet.

OK now to get back on topic. I will just go with the older style because I got more of them and none of the newer ones (at this time).

I suspect that the mould was changed purely for a practical reason - to sit more solidly in the new double katana backpack piece, probably.

I don't have a spare old katana at hand to check this out but I honestly don't see why they would change the mould for any other reason.

Personally, I like them both. Variety is always good. :thumbup:

Of course though, I'd like the old katana in the pearl silver. :tongue:

I think the old one looks better from the pics but I don't have the new one yet so I cant compare. From the pictures though the end looks too big in a minifigs hand.

I prefer the old one because it comes in a variety of colors, including my-hearts-desire, the gold one!

I do think that it's great to have a silver one too, and people will amass these newer ones quicker than the previous ones, for TWO come in each PoP set (I'm enjoying my 2 :grin: )

Thankfully, I'm vegetarian, so try not to eat my high horse :tongue:

Imagine two of those on the back of the Prince :P

It doesn't fit!!!!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

It doesn't really matter to me. If I didn't know about the difference I don't think I would even notice it until further inspection.

I think the old one's better. It fits better into the minifigure's hand (the shape of the square hilt makes it look a bit odd)