Sign in to follow this  
Digivolution

Ultra Dragon (Uber Mod)

Hello All,

Thought I would share one of my winter projects.

This is my uber mod of the Ultra Dragon from set 9450 "Epic Dragon Battle"

Just before New Year's eve 2014, I stopped into my local Target and found set 9450 on a clearance end cap. It had

apparently been purchased online and returned to my local store. It was marked at $65 US. So I couldn't pass it

up.

I'm a big Ninjago fan, but had skipped this set, as I wasn't loving the look of the Ultra Dragon compared to the

series. After building it, my thoughts were confirmed. The heads had no necks. And the wings flipped forward like

the tail of a peacock. I decided to MOD it to make it appear more menacing. I started by adding posable necks to

the heads. This made it front heavy for the mostly 2 stud wide body. I thickened up the body to mostly 6 studs

wide. And got rid of the leaver mechanism for the wings in favor of 2 ratcheted sockets on either side of the body

to make the wings posable. I then redesigned the wings themselves to better resemble the earlier dragons from the

series, only much larger.

I've easily tripled the part count.

60cm long

51cm wing span

DSCN2553b.jpg

Sorry about the lack of a background. It was too big to fit into my photo tent. More pictures can be found here:

http://blue-devil.ne...o/Ultra_dragon/

What do you think?

Cheers,

Duncan

Edited by Digivolution

Nice, but the position of the wing-hands looks a little awkward, as does the way the body tapers into the tail. I'd suggest moving the hands to the ends of the wings and making the body slightly longer so that it decreases in width less abruptly.

Nice, but the position of the wing-hands looks a little awkward, as does the way the body tapers into the tail. I'd suggest moving the hands to the ends of the wings and making the body slightly longer so that it decreases in width less abruptly.

Thank you. And good point about the hands on the wings. I swapped them around to the ends of the wings, and it does make it look more like Wisp and Flame. I.E. both the blue and red dragons have claws at the end of the wings. I also swapped in larger gold claws to match the others dragons. The heads can now reach a minifig held in the claws. Bonus!

http://blue-devil.net/Lego/Ultra_dragon/DSCN2659.JPG

http://blue-devil.net/Lego/Ultra_dragon/DSCN2660.JPG

I will have to think about the rear body width/length. I see what you are saying from the top view. I'm not sure how that would change the side view which looks good to me. I will have to play with the idea.

Thanks for the feedback and your idea! :)

D.

Copy: both the blue and red dragons have claws at the end of the wings35.gif

Edited by koufirede