Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #44: My Best Friend

"Bad idea my friend, I'd hate to have the Great Eubric Riot on my name. Well, this name anyway."

"Clearly we are never going to get through. Pretty soon they will be attacking us. In their desperation they have reverted to their most primal instincts. We have what they need and if we stop giving it to them... there will be trouble hehehe."

Guts winked at Hybros, and said:

"See those rooftops, we could totally access them from those barrels over there. Besides, we are faster than them."

Keeping so many heroes in line was like herding cats.

There were always stragglers . And the beggars were a constant feature of the streets.

And Nerwen worried. She had read enough books by the merchants about groups this size getting into confined locales, and then a subgroup turning on the others and murdering them horribly. She looked around at the others. But no.. the books said you couldn't tell by looking, only by a secret they kept hidden. Invariably the groups had to rid themselves of the betrayers with the fear that they would choose the wrong people and convict the innocent.

Perhaps Nerwen needed to read some different books... maybe ones with talking anthropmorphic animals...

Bending closer to De'kra, she asked quietly,

Are you wearing that elvish cloak? I do not think any individual beggar would be a threat, but perhaps if a group came along. You would be able to tell their intent perhaps.

Sarick had fallen into the middle of the group. He was away from the nearly endless supply of begging hands. There were no beggars under the sea where Sarick had come from. Everyone had a place and had a way to be useful. Sarick followed along, looking for their client.

Are you wearing that elvish cloak? I do not think any individual beggar would be a threat, but perhaps if a group came along. You would be able to tell their intent perhaps.

IC: De'kra clicked, "I have cloak and I, though it not work immediately. Depends on if we have element of surprise or plenty of time to talk before potential fight, otherwise it not very useful. It still might be good idea to use, so I will keep it close by. You okay? Is something wrong?"

Edited by Tanma

The Metasimian mother was very grateful for all the gold she gained. Tears streamed from her eyes as she repeated "Krathie! Krathie! Krathie!" The other woman was less satisfied, and the half-mad mage left muttering curses.

But the beggars kept coming, seeing how lucrative begging from the group of heroes was.

heroicaquest44-beggarelf.jpg

"Life plays nasty tricks on unfortunate souls. I was born as an elf, the most beautiful and graceful race in the entire world, yet my sickness took it all away from me. My kin shunned me, for they could not fathom the concept of an ugly, sickly elf. Please, nobody will help me. At least have the decency of not turning your eyes away from me, and perhaps give me a few gold so I can eat."

heroicaquest44-beggargranny.jpg

"I may be blind, but I sense the kindness in your ranks. Such sweet, generous souls... If you give this old hag a few gold from your pouches, I can tell you a story of another soul who was the opposite of kind. Her mind was full of jealousy and deceit. Her eyes shone like those of a hungry owl, waiting for its prey. I was one of her victims, silly old me. I should not have trusted a witch so easily. I should've known, being a witch myself... But I digress. Do you want to hear the story of this evil soul? Then pay up, tehehe."

heroicaquest44-beggarsailor2.jpg

"Yarr! I used to sail under the Hinckwell flag from trading port to another until I lost me leg in a duel against the Seaprince of the Merfolk. Please have mercy on this old deckscrubber, and throw a few golds me way. I can tell you of the monster of Loch Mess in return - or as the local farmers call it, "Messie"."

What are the party's responses?

Party:

heroica_1.jpg

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09)

99 years old elven Ranger

Level 1

Power
: 4
(1+3)

Health
: 6/6

Gold
: 10

Equipment
: Bow (WP: 3)

Inventory
: Amethyst (
Darkness
), Potion, Smoke Bomb,

assassin_benji.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (Flare)

27 years old male half-elven Assassin

Level 21
*Counterstrike*
*Encouraged*

Power:
(21+13)

Defense:

Health:
32/32
(6+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP: 13;
Darkness
Ice
Light
Elemental), Tricorne (SP:3),
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
5 Grand Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 6 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 3 Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 3 Bones

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Knight

Level 14
*Immune to Weakened, Bound and Slowed*
*Encouraged*

Power:
(14+8+2+1)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(10+13)

Gold:

Equipment:
Great Sword (WP:8), Mockthril Shield (SP:4), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects)

Inventory:
Tricorne (SP:3), Paladin's Armor (unsuitable), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years Female Human Mystic Knight

Level 19
*Immune to
Fire
*Encouraged*

Power:
(19+12+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
31/31
(5+18+7+1)

Ether:
25/25
(5+18+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:12, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, null fire), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year)

Inventory:
Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Healing Staff (WP:5), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, Tonic, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, 4 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (Tanma)

11 year old "male" "echo" Assassin

Level 17 ½
*Immune to Enamored and Confused*

Power:
(17+7)

Defense:

Health:
28/28
(7+16+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Kapura (WP:7,
fire-elemental
), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP: 1), Heart Locket (Protects from enamored effect and confused effect)

Inventory:
Chiara (WP:7,
lightning-elemental
), Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, , 10 Potions, 3 Grand Potions, 2 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

av-28776.jpg

Dreyrugr (Vash the Stampede)

1000 year old male vampire Rogue

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
(7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Longsword (WP:3)

Inventory:
Potion x2, Venom, Bedroll

IMG_2373.JPG

Erik Tyrvarr (Myrddyn)

18 years old male human Barbarian

Level 10 ½
*Restoration*

Power:
(10+13)

Health:
17/17
(8+9)

Gold:

Equipment:
Voltedge (WP: 13,
lightning-elemental
), Barbarian's Boots (Natural Respite>Restoration)

Inventory:
Spear (WP: 9), Holy Bomb, 2 Death Progg Claws

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

42 year old male human Raider

Level 20
*Natural Respite*
*Dance*
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(20+14)
(29 for ranged attacks
(20+9)
)

Health:
33/33
(7+19+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer (WP:14,
ice-elemental
, attacks restore 3 health), Dancing Shoes (Wearer dances well, in the turn after a miss is rolled, the wearer can act twice)

Inventory:
Throwing Knife (WP:9, retrievable,
light-elemental
), Hollow Dagger (WP: 6, hollow), 9 Grand Potions, 1 Grand Tonic, 1 Elixir, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 4 Meads, 4 Nostrums, 4 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Telescope, Bedroll, Beholder's Eye (allows one round per quest to be replayed), 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril)

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 20
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(20+15)

Defense:

Health:
32/32
(7+19+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth-elemental
), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect)

Inventory:
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 10 Potions, 10 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

gc5570571444584664818.jpg?width=80&height=75&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff&size=thumb

Mizuki Kimura (zakura)

21 years old female human Rogue

Level 11
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(11+10)

Health:
17/17
(7 + 10)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:10)

Inventory:
Potion, Grand Potion, Remedy, Venom, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Nostrums, 2 Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)
***Party Leader***

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 21
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 31
(21+12)

Defence
: 8
(5+3)

Health
: 28/28
(5+20+3)

Ether
: 32/32
(5+20+1+1+5)

Gold
: 44

Equipment
: Snake Staff (WP:12), Fanged Helm (SP:5), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing)

Inventory
: Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire. Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, 2 Phoenix Essence, 6 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll, Venom, 3 bones

Spirits
: Xut the Daemon (
Darkness
), Raiju the Raiju (
Lightning
), Ni the Shrubbery (
Wood
), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (
Ice
), Clay Golem (
Earth
), Battle Angel (
Light
), unknown (
Fire
), unknown (
Wind
)

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

261 year old female elven Cleric

Level 12
*Immune to
Wind

Power:
(12+6)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(9+11+3)

Ether:
16/16
(5+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Staff (WP:6,
Wood
), White Cloak (+3 Max health), Winged Circlet (SP:2, Immune to Wind)

Inventory:
Hammer (WP: 6), 2 Potions, Tonic, Grand Tonic, 3 Elixirs, 4 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences,Venom, 2 Ice Bombs, Shovel, Bedroll, Bone

HeroicaRaven-1.png

Raven Ashcroft (Raven Brickroft)

18 years old male human Rogue

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
7/7

Gold:

Equipment:
Main Gauche (WP: 3)

Inventory:
Potion, Venom

headressnaga.jpg

Sarick Lanse (Xarrzan)

27 years old male naga Mage

Level 12 ½
*Lucky*

Power:
(12+6+1)

Defense:

Health:
16/16
(5+11)

Ether:
16/16
(5+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dragon's Wrath (WP:6)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Dragon's Heart (WP: 15,
wind-
and
fire-elemental
), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Tonic, Phoenix Essence, 4 Nostrums, 3 Smelling Salts, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Bone, Mythril Shard (1/4 of a Mythril)

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mage

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:3)

Inventory:
Ruby (
Fire
), Potion, Bedroll

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick (Professor Flitwick)

44 years old Metasimian Black Knight

Level 19
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 29
(19+10)
(27 for ranged attacks
(19+8)
)

Defence
: 4

Health
: 34
(7+18+9)

Gold
: 200

Equipment
: Sabre (WP:10), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do damage to undead), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP:8), Bedroll, Telescope, Dragon Scale

harkenshire_sig.jpg

William Harkenshire (VolcanicPanik)

Unknown years old human male Ranger

Level 15
*Hastened*

Power:
(15+5)

Health:
20/20
(6+14)

Gold:

Equipment:
Repeating Crossbow (WP:5, unupgradeable;
fire-elemental
, permanent
hastened
)

Inventory:
Hand Cannon (WP: 5;
lightning
- and
wood
-elemental), Wave Sword (WP:11, inflicts cursed-effect), Croise Crossbow (WP:11), Lion Knight Shield (SP:4, unsuitable), Chimera Armor (+2 SP, +2 Health, unsuitable), Sapphire (
Wind
), Remedy, Venom, Mead, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Elven Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Shovel, Pickaxe, Skeleton Decoy, Horse

The smile from helping a fellow Metasimian was soon washed away by the blue Witch. "Bah! I can never be free of them!"

"Madame, if you dabble in Witchcraft you deserve every misfortune that comes to you! The woman in the violet livery is sympathetic to vermin like you, take your case up with her!"

Edited by Professor Flitwick

The gruff voice of the old sailor catches her ear when he mentions a monster in the deep sea. Cinna breaks off to speak to the old sailor

"Sir, what is this monster you speak of? This Messie? I don't have much gold myself, but I can offer you 1 gold to tell more me about the monster."

"Don't say I did not warn you, now they come multiple times."

Guts pointed at the sailor, who was the same as one they met earlier, that had introduced himself as a former sailor under the Bonaparte flag earlier.

"They will keep coming, and if we stop giving them what they want, they will take our money by force."

Hearing Guts' words, Cinna lets the group of heroes engulf her once more before the beggar is able to take the one gold. She hurries to catch up with Namyrra and continue down the street.

Alexander heards Gut's word and having no intention of running out of money, follow the rest of the heroes down the street.

Edited by Wedge09

Hearing Guts' words, Cinna lets the group of heroes engulf her once more before the beggar is able to take the one gold. She hurries to catch up with Namyrra and continue down the street.

IC: De'kra nods in understand, and forces his gaze to an icy blue. The echo followed on after Cinna, pushing the thoughts of the crowds out of his mind. Every so often his eyes cracked into a bright green, though the cyan hue soon cased over them. As he looked at the crowds, De'kra used his Cloak of the Elven Spy to detect their features.

Edited by Tanma

Chris Pulls out his coin pouch and then quickly puts it back into his pocket after receiving numerous death glances from the other member of his party. "Ok ok." Chris says as he starts running with the rest of his party, though he can't

actually figure out why.

Nerwen speaks to the elf.

Aaye, Heru en amin.

Manakoi naa lle sinome? Mani marte? Lle Holma ve'edan!

Lle amin anta tanka harwar? Ale' lye tela sinome, tula amandil de Celebryon a elenya.

With those questions and instructions Nerwen paused a moment to see if the elf understood, ready to follow the others.

Erik followed after the rest of the heroes, pushing past beggars.

"Excuse me, Don't have any money, 'scuse me."

He shakes his head at the poverty around him, and mumbles curses at the 6 great houses for allowing people to live in such squalor.

Not looking back to see if the others are coming and avoiding eye contact with the beggars Namyrra keeps walking towards the Shrine.

"Information for gold... hmm, could be interesting." Hybros tosses 5 gold to each of the beggars, interesting in hearing what they had to say. He looked at guts. "I am not giving this away, I am paying for something, eheh."

"Information for gold... hmm, could be interesting." Hybros tosses 5 gold to each of the beggars, interesting in hearing what they had to say. He looked at guts. "I am not giving this away, I am paying for something, eheh."

"No. No you are not, their stories don't hold any significance. If it's stories you are after, meet me in the hall after the quest, I have seen more than these three beggars and their friends combined, I'll tell you that for a fact. "

"No. No you are not, their stories don't hold any significance. If it's stories you are after, meet me in the hall after the quest, I have seen more than these three beggars and their friends combined, I'll tell you that for a fact. "

"Then tell me what you know about the monster of Loch Ness. I am sure you have seen much of this world, as have I in my many years of traveling eheh. But you do not know everything. Information is power."

"Then tell me what you know about the monster of Loch Ness. I am sure you have seen much of this world, as have I in my many years of traveling eheh. But you do not know everything. Information is power."

"I'm pretty sure he just made that up, he lied any way you turn it, he gave us two different stories about how he lost his leg. At least one of em ain't true. If I were to guess? Debt collectors, probably Sharkling or Metasimian, took that leg of his as repayment for gold he did not pay back. They are prone to tactics like that, you know, makes sure others pay up."

Hybros' generosity had changed Chris's mind so he butt into their conversation saying "Guts, the gold is hybros' and it isn't really your place to tell him what he can and can't do with it.

If we decide to help these people and maybe make a difference in this place is itreally such a bad thing? If we decide not to abandon them like the great houses did is it really that horrible?

Their aren't unlimited beggars (Hopefully) and I doubt the gods (Quest Master) running this particular quest arecruel enough to penalize us for giving our gold away and going to extra

trouble to help people. If everyone else wants to move on I will, or if the party leader decides to move I will also, but as long as anyone else wants to keep giving to the beggars I'm with them.

But I feel that we are vary close to being through the beggars anyway so we might as well just stick through to the end."

OCD:Sandy may I just say that when you're causing an intense moral debate among the members of your quest your definitely hosting right.:thumbup:

Edited by Fred Fred Burger