Sign in to follow this  
edon581

6296 Shipwreck Island

Hi there! I'd like to sell off one of my old LEGO sets , Shipwreck Island (6296), on eBay. The set is about 98% complete - there are only a few pieces missing. Do you think I could make more by selling off the whole incomplete set or by selling off the individual parts in separate lots?

Apparently this set is pretty valuable. It was produced by LEGO in 1996, which is considered vintage. I've seen it listed new and complete for $100-$200. Each individual piece is valued at $0.13773, according to brickset.com

How should I sell this set and for what price?

6296 is not that rare, and the price will highly depend of the missing parts. If it's uncommon parts (like the blue cannon base, the sail, the armada minifig...), you won't be selling it over 15/20$. The part quality is also important.

For a complete set with instructions, I wouldn't go over 30$. Don't be fooled by the MISB prices, they are always very high and are not represantative of the used price.

On top of that, it's far for being the most sought-after set, since it's one of the ugliest Pirate Set ever :pir-grin:

Boomchill has some good logic there. Plus I always tell people "Something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it".

Meaning bricklink may have a sealed mint in box set for say $500, but if it sits on bricklink and never sells, it's not WORTH $500, that's just the price the seller thinks it's worth.

I'd say maybe you could get 10 bucks for it if you are able to sell it at all. If its not new and sealed, that particular set has almost no value as it is not at all sought after like some of the other sets. Basically, its a piece of crap set.

I personally love buying sets with missing pieces off Ebay. It makes me feel good to restore an old set to it's original glory and add it to my collection. Shipwreck Island my not be pretty or sought after but if the condition of what was there was right, the starting price low enough and it could be restored without too much hassle and cost I'd bid on it.

It seems people are sprouting off their personal opinions on the value of this set rather than bothering to do research.

On BrickLink the cheapest used 6296 is around $30 while on eBay its around $25.

This set does have some value because:

a) it includes Imperial Armada minifigures and the rarer "Spanish" pirate minifigures.

b) it contains a blue cannon base and is the only LEGO set to this that particular part.

c) the three leave water plants are also uncommon

Also the box and instructions can add value overall, so depending on condition and where you're selling it, you could get between $20 to $35.

The trick is finding those who understand its value.

This set does have some value because:

a) it includes Imperial Armada minifigures and the rarer "Spanish" pirate minifigures.

b) it contains a blue cannon base and is the only LEGO set to this that particular part.

c) the three leave water plants are also uncommon

And therein lies the problem of a "nearly complete" set. If the missing pieces are the rare ones, it's pretty much worthless. If the missing pieces are common ones, you'll lose a lot of value unecessarily because people will generally prefer complete sets. In fact, if the missing pieces aren't too expensive, I'd consider replacing them with parts from Bricklink first, especially if you still have the box and instructions.

I don't think there were any 3 leaf plants in it though, were there?