roamingstop

7812 Observation Coach

I recently won an auction containing some incomplete models of the classic 7740 set. Included were additional instructions, train bases, doors and large yellow windows. Sorting through the lot I came across a set of instructions for a model 7812 entitled Pullman Observation Car, in the colour scheme of the classic 7740 TEE series. Looking through peeron / bricklink drew a blank - no such instructions / model listed there... and I was wondering whether it might have been a prototype? The seller claimed to have once worked for TLG.

7812-PullmanObservationLoungeScan.jpg

Working through the various parts and instructions I was able to assemble most of the model - unfortunately some brown seats were missing, and replaced with yellow ones for the first photoshoot.

7812-PullmanObservationLounge1.jpg

7812-PullmanObservationLounge2.jpg

From what I could find it seems to be similar to some of the Pullman observation cars, such as the Devon Belle, now restored to original status at Swanage Railway. An earlier photo shows some of the original details. However it seems no such cars were used on the TEE system.

apmw035.jpg

dbpoc10.jpg

A few bricklink orders later and I was able to complete the interior according to the original instructions. It is worth noting that the chairs easily become dislodged because of attachment with only a single stud, and this might explain why it never got released?

7812-PullmanObservationLounge-K.jpg

7812-PullmanObservationLounge-J.jpg

Certainly it adds a nice end to the 7740 / 7815 / 7819 sets, even if I still have a few bricklink orders to complete the models; and obtain a working 12V layout

7740-Rake.jpg

Does anyone else know anything about the 7812 model - indeed was it even a small country based release?

Very interesting. It certainly makes for a very impressive 7740.

I was wondering if you could post scans of the complete instructions? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

Hmmm very strange. You must be really lucky to get one of those! :cry_happy:

Edited by Rail Co

That is a rare find.

It isn't on Lugnet, Brickset, Bricklink, or Peeron.

It looks like a very nice companion set to the 7740.

Thank you for posting this.

Nice mod's to an unusual set 'roamingstudio', I never knew such a set was ever made.....gives the tiger ideas for his tram design. :wink:

the fact no-one has seen this set....i'd say it's pretty rare :oh3:

looks good though :thumbup:

EDIT. wait, wait, wait.....april fools?

Edited by mikka says

the fact no-one has seen this set....i'd say it's pretty rare :oh3:

looks good though :thumbup:

EDIT. wait, wait, wait.....april fools?

My thoughts exactly considering in my part of the world it's the 1st of April, nice try roamingstudio the main giveaway was this part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3069bpx6 it was not released until 1996 which is well past the retirement of the 12v Train range :laugh: .

Edited by Steinkopf

Good one RS - I also notice a little wear on the face of the female minifig on that first image.

Nice photo-editing work though. Our members here have pretty sharp eyes for the details.

Well, you gave the tiger some tigery ideas, so I guess all's well that ends well, right? :wink:

Well, you gave the tiger some tigery ideas, so I guess all's well that ends well, right? :wink:

Seems I arrived a teensy weensy late. I noticed the cards 1 x 2 tile. I also noticed the hairdo the girl is wearing and that hairdo wasn't on sets 'till the 90's. And her printed torso seems off, because it was a torso we saw mostly on the 90s and because the torsos of the minifigs that came with the extra cars for 7740 were not printed.

Seems someone already noticed the same I did. I noticed the cards 1 x 2 tile. I also noticed the hairdo the girl is wearing and that hairdo wasn't on sets 'till the 90's. And her printed torso seems off, because it was a torso we saw mostly on the 90s and because the torsos of the minifigs that came with the extra cars for 7740 were not printed.

Well it was important to let one or two minor details through for those with eagle eyes!

Dan - sure I'll post the scans of the instructions later - currently at the in-laws so it will take a while.

Speaking of january jerks day and trains, I remember when "Ben" Beneke from Germany posted fake trains on Lugnet and FGLTC from

the year 2000.

Also noteworthy is the january jerks wiener where someone posted on Lugnet that Lego was releasing specialized "theme" tubs.

But Ben's wiener was the best because of the scope of what he did.

Not to take this thread on a tangent.

Thanks for the wiener Roaming Studio. Well Played.

Ben

if you'd done it fully legit, im sure you would have had us fooled for a good month. not to mention that awkward, new-found fame when 7812 made it onto the eurobricks frontpage....heh :laugh:

but as always, looks grand, shame TLG didnt do an observation car till the 2000's...ah well

You guys are gullible. The BS meter should have been on high alert. The photoshoppery is a bit sloppy around the number 2, the strange printed tile and the general aged look of the bricks were immediately apparent.

That aside, it is a great model. But where is the guard meant to stay?

You guys are gullible. The BS meter should have been on high alert. The photoshoppery is a bit sloppy around the number 2, the strange printed tile and the general aged look of the bricks were immediately apparent.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320780305

;)

Brilliant. Love it. All the more convincing because some of these older Lego sets can be genuinely hard to spot. Shame the Internet offers such a complete catalogue...!

The photoshoppery is a bit sloppy around the number 2, the strange printed tile and the general aged look of the bricks were immediately apparent.

Unfortunately an overload of work meant that any photoshoping was done in a quick 1 hour blitz before having to leave home. The tile was purposeful as a hint; the best April Fools are those which are believable to a point, and then make you laugh. I hope I succeeded on that.

Thanks for the compliments - I would be willing to get some feedback on how to improve the model inside, and then perhaps release a limited edition run of 7812's for those fans who want them (Eurobricks Special? Railbricks Special?). Unfortunately the large 3x6 windows in yellow tend to be very colour faded or mis-shaped, and not many on bricklink. If you look at the photos of the Devon Belle, then there is no guard position, just a bar.

I also should thank AussieJimbo who first published the idea of the Devon Belle for his Emerald Night collection. The lack of Tan windows would always be a problem, but it worked well for the 7740 series. And there is a grain of truth to the story; I did receive most of the 7740 models partially built with some tatty instructions, just not for 7812. Pity.

And for Dan, yes I will generate the instruction - but reverse engineering the model not too hard. I dont have L-Draw installed; just LDD (which does not have the windows) but will look to generate these in the future.

RS.

Edited by roamingstudio

i think the thing that really let me on was the date. i know that somehow there's those "too good to be true" moments around the start of april (being an april fool, by birth). so i think i would have not thought about it twice otherwise....

but yet again, roaming studio, you've done a great mod towards the 7740 and really captures the essence of the 12v train line :)

As someone who lives in the boonies and can only gets access to teh interweb Monday through Friday I didn't realize the date of the thread and so was I completely taken in by it.

Well played Sir!

I enjoyed this thread. May be it was a bit of a "disappointment" to discover it was an April Fool's prank, but great craic all the same.

I am looking forward to buying 7812 on Bricklink sometime. lol

Sometime over the summer I also did a Panorama wagon in the style of the older 182 models

127252.jpg. I think the 7812 works better, but im afraid still no time for instructions.

Sorry for the bump; I added the LXF file online here (finally). the 1x1x2 yellow windows; and 1x6x3 yellow panels are missing, replaced with equivalents. The 12V wheel blocks are also made from technic bits; but you get the general idea.

7812-PullmanCar.png

Edited by roamingstudio

So I finally got around to sorting out some bricks - and have built a new version of the observation car and placed it on Ebay if anyone is interested.7812-Num1-Rake2.jpg

Edited by roamingstudio