Sign in to follow this  
CorneliusMurdock

Review: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

70 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Outstanding! It's the best at what it does.
    • Above Average. It's uncanny how good it is.
    • Average. Watch it, Bub.
    • Below Average. SKRAAK!

From the first time I saw this set, I knew I had to have it. It does not disappoint.

7037532107_9b835c8095_c.jpg

6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Price: 19.99 USD

Pieces: 201

Minfigs: Wolverine, Magneto, and Deadpool

6891438080_d7650957df_c.jpg

SKRAAK! The sound effects continue. I don't know about this one. I'm guessing it's the claws on sword sound. Must be a pretty strong sword to not be cut to shreds by the adamantium claws...

7037530005_9a32a9f423.jpg

Rejoice, for there are three bags of awesomeness. They aren't numbered, so we can open any one we want first.

7037530485_75b26ef21c.jpg

This one's mostly accessories but check out Magneto's head and all those dark red cheese slopes.

6891436250_a8619f4a18.jpg

This one has all of Deadpool, along with Wolvie's hair and Magneto's helmet.

6891436552_5fb02fcf0e.jpg

This one has most of Wolverine, Magneto's body and lovely purple cape. Lego really seems to be spreading the minifig parts around these days. Theft deterrent, maybe?

6891437292_003ebf2bce.jpg

Interesting part. Only one in this set. Hopefully more to come in the future.

7037532891_1f3c1fb980.jpg

Here we have the manual. Looks pretty much like the box. There's also a separate small comic. Notably missing is a sticker sheet. This set doesn't need one. Deadpool must not like to put any signage on his copter.

7037533301_1e2ca173fa.jpg

Note that Deadpool's swords aren't put in the holders. The manual will tell us to put them on the copter.

6891441462_8905cdbd7c.jpg

Wolverine's motorcycle s kind of minimalist. Just snap the top and bottom parts together and slap on headlight. I still like it better than Cap's Avenging Cycle.

6891442708_eb4ecbaa17.jpg

Next up is this beauty. I'm really impressed with this build. It has some really nice dark red parts, and is really sweet looking once assembled.

6891442042_6100d2ce0e.jpg

Top view.

6891443442_284426ae53.jpg

Cockpit isn't much to look at. Deadpool does fit in there with the sword holder on, just without the swords. So you don't have to keep removing his head to get him in and out. How thoughtful. The swords clip onto the flickfire wings. Not really practical if he needs to bail out but they look nice there. (I forgot to take a picture of them actually on the wings. Maybe I'll fix that if I remember later.)

7037539369_8abf304957.jpg

Spare parts. Deadpool must have bought this thing at Ikea. It's nice to get an extra claw in there.

But this is really why most of us will pick up this set:

7037538469_4b29249d36_c.jpg

I have absolutely no complaints about Magneto. He looks exactly like I think he should: Awesome.

Wolveirne is also pretty good. Note that his uniform isn't regular yellow. It;s the same color as the Hazmat Guy from the Collectible Minifigure line. I might try changing out the fleshie for yellow skin at some point. Bad news about that is that Brickforge doesn't make their Savage Mask in that color currently. (If any of the guys from over there are reading this, please fix that (and print the dark blue on it, too. I'm lazy.) And that's my biggest complaint here, Wolverine needs a mask. He looks great otherwise.

Then there's Deadpool. One of my favorties from the comics, I'm tremendously pleased that they put him in this set. He looks spot on. My one gripe is that his sword holder would have looked better in black. Only reason I can think of why they didn't make it in that color is if they have a ton left over from POP and had to get rid of them. Hopefully, if they ever make Nightcrawler (Pretty please, Lego?), they'll decide to make it a new color for him.

7037538129_711afeea87_c.jpg

And the backs. All three have back printing! Magneto and Wolverine also have double sided heads. Is it too much to ask for them to smile? :wink:

Value: This is a great set and for $20, it's a steal.

Minifigs: Iconic characters, faithfully depicted.

My overall rating: 9/10, Mostly for not having a mask for Wolverine. Otherwise, I'd recommend this set to anyone with even a passing interest in these characters or for anyone looking for a sweet helicopter.

6891444654_a45bb342e2.jpg

"And now, we ride."

Great review. I'm wanting this set most out of the wave. Big fan if Wolverine, decent fan of Magneto and Deadpool. That helicopter is, IMO, is one of the best copters LEGO ever made. Kudos TLG designers! Another kudos to no DSS, that'll make a lot of people happy. Nice pictures as well. Nice copter shots. :thumbup:

Thanks 'CorneliusMurdock' for this review....another set I want in my collection - AWESOME bike, copter and of course, minifigs ! :excited:

Nightcrawler and Gambit in future x-men sets please.

nice review, its a nice looking set. And the sword holder would totaly be better in black.

I dont like Wolverines hair, never have liked that piece.

Great review! Could we get a few more shots of the chopper by any chance?

I'm probably in the minority, but this set doesn't do much for me. The chopper is a little blocky and the only minifig I really like is Magneto. I'm more interested in the Cosmic Cube Escape, which is the same price and more enticing minifigs. :grin:

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I got this set over the weekend and I love it. The minifigs are wonderful, the bike is cool and the helicopter is absolutely wonderful. No complaints from me. :) Great review too.

Damn them... I was only considering getting the Avengers sets, but this one is really growing on me.

I'm probably going to be the only one to say this, but I kind of wish the set had stickers. If only because next to the other sets, it looks kind of decal-less. I don't understand the hatred towards stickers - anyone is free to disregard them if they don't want to use them.

I find it weird that the character I am completely unfamiliar with (Deadpool) is the one with the largest vehicle. Maybe they plan to give him a movie soon.

Oh wait apparently they are already making a Deadpool film... who is Ryan Reynolds?

Edited by David Thomsen

Thank yo for the review!

I don't share the same thoughts on the helicopter though :sceptic:

The thing about the Marvel line is that while the minifigures are brilliant, the vehicles are not so much :sceptic:

Thanks for yet another great review of a set I can't wait to get, CorneliusMurdock!

On Wolverine's mask: they did not make a mould for it, but I see they did print it on the back of the torso, like a sort of hoodie. :wink:

Great review! I would have picked up this set without reading this review, but now I want it even more! But...what happened to the Wolverine in this picture?

marvel-352x470.jpg

It's a really nice set overall. I'm, personally, not a fan of the chopper but the figures are some of the best I've seen in a long time.

Great review Cornelius!

Great review! Could we get a few more shots of the chopper by any chance?

There are a few more on my Flickr. I think I covered most of the angles. If there's something specific you'd like a shot of, let me know and I'll try to see if I can get a pic of it.

Another great Marvel review, 'CorneliusMurdock'! :sweet:

I'm still hyping this set up... Even if the helicopter isn't too good, the rest of the set looks fantastic. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great review.

I am pumped for this set. I wanted it anyway since X-Men are my fave Marvel theme. I can't wait to see more in the future.

The minifigs look great. I never really heard of Deadpool before the Wolverine movie, but I guess he has quite a following. Wolverine and Magneto look great though. And I was going to mention they didn't make a mask because it is printed on his torso, but I was beaten to it.

The motorcycle looks great! Very minimalistic, but that is more realistic and appealing to me compared to Cap's or Catwoman's cycles.

The chopper looks exactly like a lego chopper should look. Even without the figs I would consider getting this set for the vehicles, but throw in the figs and you get a lot of great pieces for $20!

I can't wait to get these. Thanks again for the review.

Nice review, CM. This is really the only set from the Marvel wave that I'm excited about. The Avengers sets all seem a little overpriced and not compelling enough, but this one looks like good value. The helicopter looks great from all the angles I've seen, the minifigs are excellent and you can never have too many old-school motorcycles. I'm still not a huge fan of Wolvie's claws, but I don't see any way they could have made them better, and overall the minifigs are great. I'm really glad they printed Wolverine's mask hanging on the back of his uniform instead of on his face. His expression is totally Wolverine, and this way we can make a custom Logan wearing his biker jacket and jeans.

I really hope they make more X-Men sets. It's by far my favorite Marvel property.

An ok set. But you have to admit that if the helicopter was painted yellow and the minifigs replaced with a raptor this would have been a forgettable LEGO Dino set.

This is my most anticipated set. The build looks good, but I've always loved Magneto, and LEGO really did a good job on him. Deadpool and Wolverine are just bonuses to me.

Nice review.

Yes, the selling point is definitely Magneto for me. I love that purple printing, and his face is perfect as far as I can tell.

Do you have any shots of his non-angry face without the helmet?

An ok set. But you have to admit that if the helicopter was painted yellow and the minifigs replaced with a raptor this would have been a forgettable LEGO Dino set.

Yes, but it's dark red and that ups the ante right there. I don't see what's so wrong with some of the Dino vehicles anyway. If there was any wiggle room in my budget this year, I'd have picked up a couple.

Yes, the selling point is definitely Magneto for me. I love that purple printing, and his face is perfect as far as I can tell.

Do you have any shots of his non-angry face without the helmet?

EDIT:

6893369236_df29870193.jpg

There you go.

This set is really the best value of the line, I think. It reminds me of the Superman set in that regard, but with better minifigs. It's also at a really good price point for the casual buyer. This is the set you'd get for a young relative that is into comics for a birthday.

Edited by CorneliusMurdock
added pic of Magneto's head.

Another awesome little set, I'm really regretting not ordering some myself. This is one set I have to get, a dark red chopper and exclusive minifigures, all good. :excited:

I was sold the second I saw the deadpool minifig!

I really wanted it because of that, but I always thought this set was in the 30-50 dollar price range. When I saw that 20 dollar mark I nearly flipped! I am totally buying this. :laugh: