mutley777

10188 Death Star review

indexed.gif

Well it is finally finished and what a awesome build and what a set :shock: ! This set is the green grocer of the star wars line, the little details are just everywhere!

The minifigs are great but believe it or not you really need alot more to fill all the rooms! I think another 10 stormies and a few of the imperial officers would go a long way in helping here :D . I am sure most of the guys who buy this set will have them spare :) .

Ok now the negatives. There are quite a few stickers :( but not as many as some other sets i can think of. Also the old problem of black and blay in the instuctions is a bit of a pain.

On to the pics :D !

The new minifigs.

img_2137.jpg

img_2139.jpg

img_2142.jpg

img_2143.jpg

img_2146.jpg

img_2147.jpg

The new figs are great but the best has to be the new Emperor minifig. Just stunning!

Now for the room pics :) (i won't bother with big outside pics as you have all seen them.)

The first 2 show the not much seen bottom level. Not alot there but room for lots of figs :)

img_2148.jpg

img_2149.jpg

Next we have the great scene with luke and leia

img_2150.jpg

Obi and the shield generator (the second pic shows pulling the lever out turns the shield off) :)

img_2151.jpg

img_2153.jpg

The garbage masher and Dianoga!

img_2154.jpg

One of the death star laser cannons

img_2157.jpg

img_2158.jpg

The crane and loading area.

img_2159.jpg

The main hanger bay

img_2161.jpg

Vaders Tie.

img_2162.jpg

img_2166.jpg

The small area top right is the room where c-3p0 and R2 hide out. Also the small black cog opens the hanger blast door!

img_2172.jpg

The main gun control room

img_2174.jpg

The throne room!

img_2175.jpg

img_2176.jpg

The fantasic detention level (with garbage shoot!)

img_2177.jpg

"Into the garbage shoot flyboy"

img_2178.jpg

The meeting room.

img_2180.jpg

The gun turrets

img_2182.jpg

The interrogation room.

img_2183.jpg

The room where leia meets tarkin. Notice the changing screen from alderaan to yavin.

img_2185.jpg

img_2184.jpg

Finally we have some pictures to show just how big this thing is! pictured here with the new AT-AT.

img_2189.jpg

img_2188.jpg

Well that it, Is this set worth the big price? Hell yes!! It's huge, its stunning, the figs are great and so dam detailed. I know i got this set at the cheaper UK price but i would have gladly paid the full price.

9 1/2 out of 10 (bloody stickers :D )

Thanks for the great review! :sweet: I love that new Darth! Mine should be here in a few weeks... :cry_happy: I'm looking forward to finding uses for the extra rooms! :tongue:

As I said elsewhere, I'm glad you did this review Mutley, there's too much to write about with this set, I just couldn't face it (or have the time).

Dr. S.

Totally amazing and speechless! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Awesome set! I believe this is one of the greatest giant set ever released in the entire Star Wars line. It's look so amazing, by just looking at your close up pictures. Not only it looks impressive, it looks fun to play with as well. In addition, there are several unique minifigs which are exclusive in this set. I must admit that for all Star Wars LEGO fan out there, this is a set you must not ever miss.

Mutley, I will like to ask a few thing.

Can the garbage masher be closed up?

How can the screen change from Alderaan to Yavin?

Is the Vaders' TIE able to fit in one minfig?

Thanks for doing up this review. :wub:

Can the garbage masher be closed up?

Yes. There is a rod you pull in and out to make the walls move.

How can the screen change from Alderaan to Yavin?

There are 2 stickers on a single brick that you simply extract and turn over to slide it back into place.

Is the Vaders' TIE able to fit in one minfig?

Vader fits in with a squeeze.

Dr. S.

Dr.S, thanks for answering my questions promptly. :wub:

I can't wait to see this set landing into our local retail shops. :sweet:

It took me....days.....to build but its done

Just wow - and so much bigger than the pictures can convey. Untill you've actually seen it you cant appreciate the size - its ridiculous

The attention to detail is superb - little buttons to call the lift on each floor!!

The detention level is superb!

..and by the way I think the ''Interrogation'' room is actually droid maintaince (ya know - where C-3PO said he was taking R2-D2 when the stormtroopers find them)

Some many features - two lifts, firing missle, 3 working doors etc

Needs a Death Star gunner!!!

Wauw :wub:

Thanks for the review Mutley.

Now I really need to get back from this pesky field-trip, retrieve my Death Star and start building :oh3:

I'll be adding this to the index for sure :thumbup:

1 review of the DS down, 2 more to go before the index closes :wink:

Thank you very much for that great review, mutley777! :sweet:

This DS is simply :oh: with all these nice detailed rooms :wub: and the new minfigs :wub: . I really :wub: it.

I first thought that it is overpriced. But after having seen all these pics - well I still think that :sceptic: . But on the other hand you must think about that it is a licensed set. And it seems as if it is a very big set (It's so big that you have to store it in your bathroom next to the toilet bowl because there is no place anywhere else, isn't it? - :laugh: ). In my opinion you could surely argue hours and hours whether the price is fair or not - but fact is that I really want to own it one day (Hopefully it's then avaiable for an affordable price in some years, too, since I regrettably haven't got at the moment and even won't have got the money the next years to buy it. :cry_sad: ) because I'm a very nig OT fan - and this DS shows sone of the most important scenes from the OT :thumbup: .

Really awsome! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for sharing this review of an awesome set, Mutely. :sweet: My favorite part of the whole thing would be the Throne Room, I love the trans-blue pieces. The minifig count is quite impressive as well, I might make a BL order if I don't see that Sidious fig in any other sets. :sweet: The whole thing is very impressive, but too expensive for me. I'll just leave this set for someone else who really wants it, and save my money for CW stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great review (And pics :tongue: ) mutley777 :thumbup: . I really want this set and I maybe ask for it in my birthday (Which is not far away, November 1 please, please :grin: ) I want the clone wars sets too but I will buy them in the lapse of here to the next summer :laugh: (Maybe I get the V-19 this weekend :sweet: ). Thanks for the nice review :thumbup: .

I just got the set and i am blown away, this beats the collecters millenium falcon by a way! :thumbup: thanks for the review!

Yes it is an awesome set, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it beats the UCS MF.

They're two very different sets - playset versus collectors edition.

Personally I prefer the UCS sets over any other set. Their realistic design and size makes them awesome and superior compared to the regular LEGO sets.

But that is just my opinion.

The DS rocks and I can't wait to get started building it.

Wow! This thing is awesome! I didn't think it would be that special before, but now I've realised how impressive it is! Also, this was a very good review.

I noticed that you missed some of the minifigs in your initial pics.

The Princess

2 Gaurds

Regular Solo

Tarkin

any pics of those guys?

Thank you for a simply amazing review Mutley777. This looks like a great set and I didn't know it had that many features. You took pictures at just the right angles and they look great but, could you share a picture of all the figures together though?

How do you display this set? It is very large and needs to be seen on all sides so I can imagine that it was hard to find a place for it.

So i am hoping to buy this set after reading the review and seeing how awesome it looks made up. Just wondering what extra figures people

would suggest to go alongside it as i do not know that nmuch about star wars lego but have recently got back into it after playing TOR online.

So i am hoping to buy this set after reading the review and seeing how awesome it looks made up. Just wondering what extra figures people

would suggest to go alongside it as i do not know that nmuch about star wars lego but have recently got back into it after playing TOR online.

This set seriously doesn't need many extra minifigs to look good. I guess you can't go wrong with a few extra Stormtroopers, but this set includes most, if not all, the main characters I'd associate with the Death Star. I guess more Death Star Troopers lioke the one included in the new TIE Fighter would be nice, but they're not exactly easy to come by cheaply at the moment.

Well, I have bought a LOT of extra minifigs for this set. Since I am not playing with the set, but using it as an display item - kind of a detour from the rest of my UCS display - I have bought about 40 extra minifigs, so there can be action in all the rooms at once.

What I have bought extra (as far as I can remember):

14 stormies

4 (new) Death Star troopers

1 Obi-Wan

3 Leia

3 Darth Vader

1 Stomtrooper Han

1 Stormtrooper Luke

1 Tarkin

7 Imperial officers (2 kinds - Imperial Inspection and Shuttle)

2 TIE pilots

1 Chewbacca

1 R5-J2

1 message droid

And the set does not even look crowded with 60++ minifigs :wink:

God I can't wait for it to arrive :) if it can fit that many in and still look good its going to be awesome, Cheers for the answer mate.

God I can't wait for it to arrive :) if it can fit that many in and still look good its going to be awesome, Cheers for the answer mate.

Here is a little sneak peak of a scene I recreated:

6852036769_1a8d153e06_z.jpg

A cocky Han has chased the stormies down a hallway - only to find himself somewhat outnumbered :laugh:

Thanks for including the oic with all the storm troopers, that room is soooo big, I can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow, I ahve literally asold over 300 pound sof stuff on ebay just so i could justify this purchase. Any advice on the build?