Sign in to follow this  
markus1984

Steampunk B-Wing

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hy guys,

This is my first Steampunk MOC ever! Here i must say thanks to Legopard for the motivation to build some in this style.

When the time is not over i also load the MOC up for the FBTB contest.

14746820884_eed56e28b0_c.jpg

14749172745_b0abfd3fab.jpg14562523899_0a5d3dc023.jpg

14745997531_95f3725812.jpg14748861372_89f74b215c.jpg

as always you can watch all photos on flickr.

Thanks for watching!

cya

markus

Wow! Markus, will you marry me?... Oh wait, I'm too late.. :hmpf_bad:

Anyway that's an awesome B-Wing, my favorite SW ship. :sweet:

Holy cow. FBTB competition is over now that Markus is in it. Amazing work. Just doing the B-wing is a struggle, adding all this steam punk to it is quite a feat. The details look really great. Can't wait to see your other entries

I love everything steampunk, and mech's. Your moc is absolutely B E A utiful. If you could provide a high resolution picture of it, i wouldt hang it on my wall.

Holy crap, dude! *oh2* This is amazing! I especially like all the pipes and conduits, and those prpoellers- just blows me away. :thumbup:

So many little details to stare at in this model! :wub: I really like the slightly separated 1xn brown tiles on the side wings, emulating haphazardly nailed on slats of wood, and the crazy amount of pipes and chains around the engines, and the gatling gun for the big cannon at the tip of the main wing. You've mixed in the metallic gold and silver elements in all the right places to draw attention to really meaningful portions of the ship.

Just awesome. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! The attention to detail is superb and it's instantly recognisable as a b-wing, although it's not in a traditional style! Excellent work!

Hoi, guy`s i have to say thanks very much for your feedback!

Really nice to read this great posts!

@Bob

Yes, sorry - 3 months to late :laugh:

thanks

markus

I really like the Steampunk vibe in the B Wing. The amount of extra detail shown by the Steampunk design and of the simplier times that the Steampunk genre gives as a whole.

Good Luck in the FBTB SteamWars competition, and a possible winner.

The steampunk effect is a success! The overall look of your model is very pleasant to the eye, as it is smooth, has a lot of details that are not agressive (chaotic) but that rather fit together... That's it, everything seems to be in the right place, with the right detailing and the right color.

As soon as I saw the model, I had a very good impression. I wonder, was it difficult to build it, you know, with all the tubes and clips, does it hold well together?

Anyway, good job :thumbup: (and good luck with the contest)

I don't think you can loose a contest, can you? First you make it impossible for us to feel like we're good builders in SoNE (but no hard feelings whatsoever :wink: ), and now you'll rule FBTB's MOC Madness. Because this MOC is another one of your masterpieces!

A lot of people will tell you that just making a UCS B-Wing is hard enough. And a lot of people will tell you that creating something Steampunk is hard enough (though I imagine it must be loads of fun!). But you've pulled off both tricks at the same time with your usual mastery :wacko: . Simply amazing.

The underlying B-Wing is obviously recognizable, but with a lot more nice details. Maybe that's my only issue with this build. You just took an existing ship, and slapped on some details (I really hope this doesn't sound disrespectful, because I really adore the model!). Of course you can't create an entirely new ship, but you can be more creative in the way you Steampunkify it. Changing ion engines for propellers and laser cannons for antique guns is a pretty obvious choise. But there aren't a lot of other elements that try to make this MOC look convincingly Victorian. It's already good you changed the purpose of the intakes in the original model, as that would make little sense without ion engines. You changed it, but it is not very clear into what. Maybe you could make it look more like a steam engine, very explicitly, to power the engines. You could make the tubes more purposeful then, for diverting the steam, for example. It would also give you the chance to incorporate a water reservoir somewhere. In my opinion, a good choice would be to place it at the bottom, where the main guns are now. And the central wing could be used to store coal or so. And the flapping S-foils could be there to provide cooling, and the rotating cockpit... well, I don't immediately have an idea for that (I don't know everything, you know :blush: ). By giving you this different views on familiar elements, I'd like to show you that in Steampunk, it seems to be mostly about adding details, but there's an important designing aspect as well. And when Steampunkifying a familiar vehicle, you can seize the opportunity to rethink it. The concept is important as well, so maybe give that some more thought next time. Remember: Steampunk is Design and Detail (quote from: BEAVeR :wink: ).

Of course I'm not trying to say you did no thinking whatsoever with this model. Apart from the obvious changes, you changed the intakes. And the way you dealt with the materials is just awe inspiring. The loose panels of wood, the insigna created with the traffic sign and flag pieces, the use of layers of plates, the curved parts as well... you made some really interesting textures there. Every part is different (but tied together by the color scheme), and fits snugly together without big gaps (and that absence of something is worth noting too!). You made good use of the seams between the bricks to give it a nice plated look. The barrels also are a good way of introducing Steampunky details, and the chains are a good idea as well, especially placed in contrast with all the tubing. So I really like the great diversity in which you treat the surfaces. It's amazing you even succeed in making the undersides of the S-foils look interesting with all those 2x2 round plates. You leave no area untouched. That proves how much time does go into these builds. One last note on color. I like how you were really consistent there. Brown is the overall tone (but your model would stand out more in a complete different color. How about dark red?), Dark grey is reserved for mostly structural elements, gold for weaponry and cooling, and occasional splashes of tan on both extremities of the ship highlight those areas, although not much is used.

I could go on and point out all the amazing things you did, like the nice slopes all around the fighter. And all of the details are study material for weeks! So really, I thoroughly appreciate this model, and wish you best of luck in the contest. Maybe your next entry (surely, there'll be one!) will include some of my ideas, and then I'll be truly flattered. But maybe you'll come up with something completely different and better, and stupefy us once more. If that's even possible after this already amazing MOC. But I have all confidence in your competences. Just look over here:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Best of luck in the contest!

I can´t say anything else than, WHOA AWESOME. Great job and a think you will own the contest with this piece.

Good luck (like you need it :tongue:)

Great creation, the outcome of mixing Star Wars and steampunk looks fantastic!

I love all those little details, especially the castle helmets work really well there.

I wish you good luck at the contest, because I want to see some more epic steampunk crossovers from you. :tongue:

Edited by Wat Tambor

:wub: :wub: :wub:

what can i say again to these great contributions!!

MANY THANKS FOR THIS and thanks beaver (for feedback in this size) and for blogging the MOC!

AND i`m in round2 - YES :classic: .

greetings

markus