Sign in to follow this  
RileyC

Personnal Messenger issues

Ive been searching the options and trying to find a way that automatically saved my PMs when I send them instead of having to click the box when I am writing the message.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated :classic:

Ive been searching the options and trying to find a way that automatically saved my PMs when I send them instead of having to click the box when I am writing the message.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated :classic:

I've been wondering that too.

Sorry, but not for the moment.... :wink:

(Yeah, I find that annoying too.)

I dont find it annoying but rather just a hassle.

Still its great to hear that it will be incorporated soon! :thumbup:

Thanks Sieggy and the team :grin:

We MIGHT not WILL, because saving all the PMs would double the storage space used, and slow our database. This is why we're offering the opportunity to save them, but it's not automatic.

Having used our excellent PM system for a significant portion of my two years here, I am used to a white window appearing on my screen upon logging in to display a PM which has been newly sent to me, accompanied by a number next to my profile picture in the top right corner. Once I read the PM, the number usually disappears.

The other day, I noticed that the number next to my profile picture wouldn't disappear until some time after I had read the topic. At the time of writing this, the number "3" is displayed next to my profile picture, even though my inbox shows that I have only received one new PM in the last four hours (and I have already read it) and even though the white window has only come up once in the last four hours with the aforementioned PM. Has anyone else been experiencing something like this?

I have tried logging in and out several times, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything...

EDIT: About fifteen minutes later, the number has climbed to "6"...

EDIT2: Just now white window popped up - yes, just one - and all the numbers disappeared. :wacko: It has been seven minutes since the last edit.

EDIT3: And it's back - "21" sets a new all-time high...

Edited by fallenangel309

For me this is working fine.

Suggest you start by cleaning your browser cache and next restart your browser.

....a general piece of advice.

When reporting a site related issue like this, always mention your browser. Your OS would be nice to know too, especially if you're running something odd like Linux or MacOS. Also, there are a few things you should always try first.

1. Restart your browser.

2. Restart your OS. (Yes this is good advice for MacOS too. I've seen this myself.)

3. Clear cookies and cache.

4. Log off, browse a few pages of the site as a guest and log back on.

5. Try a different browser. (Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari... IE.)

6. Try a different computer preferably in a different house.

If you don't do these first please expect us to ask you to do so! :laugh: But if you've done that and the pain still persists then it's time to bother us... :cry_sad:

....a general piece of advice.

When reporting a site related issue like this, always mention your browser. Your OS would be nice to know too, especially if you're running something odd like Linux or MacOS. Also, there are a few things you should always try first.

1. Restart your browser.

2. Restart your OS. (Yes this is good advice for MacOS too. I've seen this myself.)

3. Clear cookies and cache.

4. Log off, browse a few pages of the site as a guest and log back on.

5. Try a different browser. (Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari... IE.)

6. Try a different computer preferably in a different house.

If you don't do these first please expect us to ask you to do so! :laugh: But if you've done that and the pain still persists then it's time to bother us... :cry_sad:

Thank you, Siegfried. At the moment I am using the latest version of Firefox with Windows 7.

1. Even after multiple tries, the problem persists.

2. The same.

3. I store 0MB on my cache, and browser options are set such that all cookies are cleared when I close the browser window.

4. Browsing as a guest and then logging in again doesn't seem to affect this/

5. Explorer and Chrome give me the same results.

6. I only use this one computer... but a recent attempt elsewhere gave me similar results (the number next to my profile was "9". :wacko: ).

It's occurred to me that this only happens just before I receive a PM.

And yes, this is still happening to me.

Edited by fallenangel309

I apologize if it seems like I'm being impatient and/or seeking too much attention, but it's been ten days and my PM system is still having this issue. I've tried Bonaparte's and Siegfried's suggestions multiple times but it still seems to be acting up. Granted, there seems to have been some improvement - the number to the right of my profile picture doesn't climb to something crazy like 9 before the white window pops up - but the number "1" has been there for about ten hours now, even though I haven't received a PM in five days and no new comments have been made on my profile.

I apologize if it seems like I'm being impatient and/or seeking too much attention, but it's been ten days and my PM system is still having this issue. I've tried Bonaparte's and Siegfried's suggestions multiple times but it still seems to be acting up. Granted, there seems to have been some improvement - the number to the right of my profile picture doesn't climb to something crazy like 9 before the white window pops up - but the number "1" has been there for about ten hours now, even though I haven't received a PM in five days and no new comments have been made on my profile.

I understand your frustration but if you look at it from the staff's point of view, you are the only one in about 15,000 people that are having this problem. That makes me think it's not an issue with the Eurobricks board. Are you a member of any other forums? I would check to see if PM's work on those sites as well. It may be worth your time to completely uninstall your internet browser and re install it, it's likely a setting somewhere deep in the options that is screwing this up for you.

I think I've figured out what the problem was, and it turns out it didn't have anything to do with my browser or my OS. I've had no issues since.

I think I've figured out what the problem was, and it turns out it didn't have anything to do with my browser or my OS. I've had no issues since.

What was the problem? Please share, in case anyone else has the same issue.

What was the problem? Please share, in case anyone else has the same issue.

It doesn't seem like anyone else has been having this problem, but it appears that when you save a reply to a PM conversation in your Drafts folder the notification system thinks it's already been sent and tells the intended recipient accordingly(even though your inbox shows otherwise). If that particular situation was ever explained in the forums somewhere, I'm afraid I missed it when I was searching for explanations. :blush:

I currently and have always had the check box checked for email notifications when receiving PM's. I just double checked and that box is still checked.

I got a PM about 4 hours ago and I never got an email for it. I sent a test email to my gmail account and it showed up immediately. I also just got a PM notification from another forum to my same gmail account, so it makes me think the problem might be with Eurobrick's.

Any record of this, or was Shadows tinkering?

And I'll chalk this up to another instance of me overreacting.

I never did get that one, but I've gotten them ever since.

I apologize for the double post, but I've noticed that after I report a member the aforementioned numbers disappear even though the saved PMs haven't been sent yet. :wacko: Would anyone care to explain?

It doesn't seem like anyone else has been having this problem, but it appears that when you save a reply to a PM conversation in your Drafts folder the notification system thinks it's already been sent and tells the intended recipient accordingly(even though your inbox shows otherwise). If that particular situation was ever explained in the forums somewhere, I'm afraid I missed it when I was searching for explanations. :blush:

I apologize for the double post, but I've noticed that after I report a member the aforementioned numbers disappear even though the saved PMs haven't been sent yet. :wacko: Would anyone care to explain?

I'm not sure I understand you, when you report a member like through the report button >report.png

I'm just not sure what you're getting at?

I'm not sure I understand you, when you report a member like through the report button >report.png

I'm just not sure what you're getting at?

You understood correctly. Some days I'll have a "1" or a "2" next to my profile picture since someone has a PM saved, then I'll report some random spammer and when I click out of the text box back to the forum the "1" or "2" won’t be there anymore.

You understood correctly. Some days I'll have a "1" or a "2" next to my profile picture since someone has a PM saved, then I'll report some random spammer and when I click out of the text box back to the forum the "1" or "2" won’t be there anymore.

Oh. :wacko: I really thought I was missing something. That's extremely weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe when you report a post or member, the forum considers it going into your profile and that clears the PM notice.

Hey, guys, I've looked back a couple pages but haven't seen anything about this...

You know the little green number in a box that appears in the upper-right corner of the screen (next to the user control panel shortcut)? Well, mine shows that I have two unread messages, but I've read everything I've been sent; there are no new messages. It's just a minor bug, but one I thought I'd mention.

Also, speaking of the upper-right conrner controls, the drop-down box doesn't work properly for me; it'll pop out for a moment, and before I can click an option I'm dropped straight to my profile page. It's probably an IE9 and/or Windows 7 issue, but if there's a solution I'm all ears.

I think this is the same problem as the one reported here. Do you have any PMs saved as drafts?

No, but perhaps someone had drafted a message to me or something. Anyway, the problem corrected itself after I recieved and viewed a new PM.

It's probably an IE9 and/or Windows 7 issue, but if there's a solution I'm all ears.

Uhm... :look: use a decent browser?

No, but perhaps someone had drafted a message to me or something.

Indeed, I have experienced that to be the problem...

Anyway, the problem corrected itself after I recieved and viewed a new PM.

... and yes, that tends to solve it.

Sounds like a cache problem, using a browser like chrome would probably rid you of these silly errors.

IE is just falling apart.