Hi,

On the 26th of December I got the Lego 42000 from a local store after being informed that it is available in a certain store.

I got it for £79.99 which I think is fair as today I finished building it and decided to do A review so without further do:

General info:

The set box is quite good with the images as it captures the whole car with good detail in a smallish box size, it also demonstrates its features, its ad-dons using PF and other usual information such as dimensions, it has a total of 1135 parts (26 spare from A model) and it is 58cm long by25cm wide by 13.6 cm tall, the B model is not available in the set but maybe online as PDF.

The instructions are in three books its features are independent suspension, HOG steering, rear diff and working engine, tilting rear spoiler and engine body cover with a hinge. The engine cover and rear wing can either by adjusted manually or electronically.

Mechanisms/construction:

The mechanisms feature: linear actuators, gears+differentials, springs, motors, linkages on either beams or ball joints. they are either controlled by motor, by hand, the switch between rear wing and engine cover is done with a clutch that is hooked up to a selector switch, if you have the motor with it it only reveres whatever is selected. like that the linear actuators have build in slip clutches so you cant overdrive it and break it however when it goes off with lifting the engine cover is is quite wobbly and noisy, also when the engine cover lifts up it goes get slightly obstructed by a body panel and the mount of the actuator which does slow it down opening and closing half way though but it isn't a huge problem for me, after all it is still a set of standardized parts, nothing custom designed.

The rear diff and engine work very well as usually when you spin the wheels they don't run for very long but these ones do so the parts have little friction, the rear spoiler is also good and I don't have any issues with it, its design is clever and a bit different maybe which is what lego is about. The suspension is smooth but I was hoping for more travel than this even if it is an F1 car, the fact that they can be seen operating is good too. The steering is also a bit of a problem as it has quite a poor turning circle, with these new steering parts which came out in this set first but it is even worse than other lego F1 cars.

Since it is quite big and looks good this is a + but I don't think much of the stickers and they generally get damaged anyhow so I left them off but they do match with the shape and colour of the parts. The new parts are good , larger tires which I long for since the tires from the power puller and Williams f1 car are hard to get and expensive these new ones are better for sets about as large as the 42000 , I even think these tires will fit with other rims too. Another nice part is the 5L lift rm thin with cross holes both ends as trying to have a lift arm and support it that is 5l and thin is not easy, I used to use the triangular lift arm (old or new) before this part came out, and that is important because it will help get over problems and limits in future sets.

This model is compatible with the power pullers battery box and M motor and you don't need to add or remove any other Technic parts to change it so the PF parts fit but I was expecting the clutch and sleeve to drive the rear wheels when it was in the middle position but it doesn't do anything which is odd, and there is plenty of space in the car too. I would also have liked to have the servo motor in the large space in the cockpit as that only requires the steering wheel to be taken off, I suppose for the price it's OK that you don't get any PF parts

Pricing of this set is OK/slightly steep and I say this because of the above points and because it doesn't take that long to build which isn't too good for me as I like spending days building like with the Unimog U800 and that has PF too

The design is good, I particularly like how the body contours match on either side of the air intake/grills on either side and the back engine cover is nice too as the back does have to go up on an angle slightly and when reading the instructions it looked like the back end was white tall but its fine. The colours are nice too kind of looks like a Honda/McLaren, the new body panels looks really sleek and will help with other models, my favourite is the 1.4x4 body panel in red

The conclusion:

My conclusion is that I give this car 7.5/ out of 10, you get three new linear actuators, newish tires (appeared in 1 other set I read),new steering/wheel hubs, body panels but it could be more complicated and have more features and have the 'new price' follow this perhaps, however there is a lot of good body work and some clever features and mechanisms so that's where i put it.

For good measures here are some videos and images of the set: :), feel free to ask for any other information or photos of this model.

https://www.dropbox....12 20 01 18.mov

photo28122012200327.jpg

photo28122012195758.jpg

photo28122012195819.jpg

photo28122012200236.jpg

photo28122012200249.jpg

photo28122012200434.jpg

photo28122012200440.jpg

photo28122012200446.jpg

Edited by SNIPE

Would you say its easy to make it RC? It seems to have plenty of space in cockpit for steering motor but what about the drive?

Great looking model :wub_drool:

I also think the IR receiver and transmitter will fit in the cockpit with the servo motor you just have to wire it to the battery box which may take a slight modification as there only seems to be space for one connector on the battery box (height wise)

Thank you for the review! I'm looking forward to purchasing this.

It appears that the short turning radius is due more to the use of the short steering rack than the hub piece itself. When used in mocs, it seems the new hub piece would allow quite a bit of turning radius, if used with a longer steering rack.

I like the 3 mLA's, and the white color is really great!

Well this is going to be my next technic for sure. It's half a meter long! Daaaaaaaamn!!! :D

You lucky buggers in uk, you pricing is not as bad as here. Any idea when we will see this set on amazon or lego online shop? Argos is not getting my money!

And yes, thanks for review. Looks like it is a great set for parts alone.

Thank you for such detailed review!

No, they are ever so slighly different. Same diameter but one or two mm different width. It's hardly noticeable tho.

Would you say its easy to make it RC? It seems to have plenty of space in cockpit for steering motor but what about the drive?

Great looking model :wub_drool:

I've just RC'd it for you

42000rc11.jpg

42000rc8.jpg

As you can see the servo fits easily without being too noticeable. Only took a minute to fit that. As for drive just had to replace the v8 with an L motor and brace the gearing a bit to stop the gears slipping.....

42000rc9.jpg

.....all powered by a V2 receiver.....

42000rc10.jpg

.....and just because Conchas said there was not yet any pictures of the rear hub in use in the model, here it is.

42000rc7.jpg

Runs very well.

Edited by allanp

@ allanp: Do you happen to have one of the Power Functions AAA Battery Box, or the PF Rechargeable Battery Box, to replace the HUGE, ugly PF Battery Box on the tail? I'm curious to see if a smaller, more attractive Battery Box would work....

I have a rechargable battery, have to charge find it first tho :sweet:

Edited by allanp

It seams that you were not the only person looking at it from the second picture....... :grin:

Do you have a picture of the front steering doota's?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I dont like having the battery box on the back either

I'm modding this set soon so.

I just picked one of these from my local Argos - seems they're not actually released and they didn't want to sell it to me. However, the manager saw the sad look on my face and overrode the system. Looks like a pretty decent set for the money (£80). It might have to jump the queue in front of all my other unbuilt Lego as it looks pretty damn cool.

Hmm thats odd my argos (went to one a little further away because they had more in stock) gave it to me fine, im not sure why they didn't but anyway glad you got it.

Hmm thats odd my argos (went to one a little further away because they had more in stock) gave it to me fine, im not sure why they didn't but anyway glad you got it.

I had some issues, they didn't want to sell it to me either but that's because not all stores have updated their system yet, there have been alot of new toys just released, but I reserved it online before hand and so they updated the system.

It seams that you were not the only person looking at it from the second picture....... :grin:

Do you have a picture of the front steering doota's?

:laugh: didn't notice that!

The front steering doota's.....

42000rc12.jpg

42000rc13.jpg

42000rc14.jpg