Jim

[TC9] Technic A Plus B Model Contest - Information Topic

TECHNIC A PLUS B MODEL CONTEST

DESCRIPTION

Design the A and B model for an LEGO Technic set. Try to make it as official as possible.

DEADLINE

Since you need to design two models, you will get more time than usual. The allotted time for this contest is around 10 weeks.

Deadline date is Sunday 31st of January, 2016. Contest will be closed on Monday 1st of February, OR LATER.

Disclaimer: I will close the contest when I see fit and when I have the time to process the results. This can be later than the deadline date. Please don't complain about this not being fair and all.

RULES AND REGULATIONS

The following section describes the contest specific and general rules and regulations. But before that, please take notice of a simple motto regarding the Eurobricks Contests:

CONTESTS ARE FOR FUN!

Of course there's competition, but at the end of the day, LEGO is just a hobby and the main goal for each of us is to have fun!

CONTEST SPECIFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Each model (both A and B) needs to fit in 10.000 cubic studs, meaning that WxHXL (in studs) cannot exceed 10.000 (see examples below).
  • The B-model (alternate model) needs to be built using only parts which are used in the main model (just like an official B-model).
  • No extra parts can be used for the B-model.
  • Moving parts like a crane can be bigger than the size limit, but the models need to be able to fit in the dimensions provided.
  • Taking off things is not allowed. If something (the crane) folds, while attached to the vehicle, it's okay.
  • Some studded parts and panels are okay, but no model team finish.
  • Pneumatics are permitted.
  • 3rd party strings, hoses and rubber bands are permitted.
  • LEDs are NOT permitted.
  • Pullback Motor is NOT permitted.
  • Electronics (PF elements, SBricks and Mindstorms) are NOT permitted.

EXAMPLES FOR SIZE LIMIT

• A model is 25 studs long, 15 studs high and 11 studs wide. This means the model has a dimension of 4.125 cubic studs, so it's allowed.
  • A model is 60 studs long, 10 studs high and 11 studs wide. This means the model has a dimension of 6.600 cubic studs, so it's allowed.
  • A model is 60 studs long, 15 studs high and 25 studs wide. This means the model has a dimension of 22.500 cubic studs, so it's NOT allowed.

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

• The contest is open to all EB members (also new members).
  • Members who joined EB after the start of the contest can be banned from voting (when vote rigging is suspected).
  • Voting rules will be explained later in the voting topic.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries need to be new (never posted anywhere previously or shown at an event/LUG meeting).
  • Only physical builds, so no LDD or other virtual entry.
  • If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me, or Milan.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed.
  • Custom stickers are allowed.
  • No cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in the entry topic in this forum.
  • Entries not in the entry topic are not eligible for voting.
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • The contest might be closed later than the deadline. Don't complain about this not being fair.
  • You have enough time to build. Don't ask for more time.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.
  • Staff members are not eligible for winning prizes.

WHAT DO I NEED TO ENTER?

All participant need to create a discussion topic and create a post in the entry topic.

DISCUSSION TOPIC

• A discussion topic starting with [TC9].
  • A discussion topic needs to show some actual progress (i.e. pictures of the build in progress) and should not be used to "reserve an idea".

ENTRY POST

The entry post in the entry topic should contain:

• Entry name
  • Short summary of the functions.
  • One or more pictures
  • Embedded Youtube video (mandatory)
  • Link to the discussion topic

PRIZES

Prizes will be sponsored by the guys from Vengit (SBrick), for which I am of course very thankful. Keep up the good work guys.

More information on the prizes later.

23275101266_f68791e51e_b.jpg

Finally! I've been waiting for this all week. Some of the server outages may be caused by my continuous refreshing :D. I will definitely try to join this one.

P.S: Jim, you wrote 1000 instead of 10000 in the first rule.

P.S: Jim, you wrote 1000 instead of 10000 in the first rule.

Corrected :thumbup:

The later example measurements seem to follow the 10000 limit, and in the general contest discussion the consensus was 10000 cubic studs, so I assumed that it was the correct one. If it's 1000, we'll have tiny models (that will definitely be fun too) :)

I don't see changes (first number)

Also corrected :laugh::thumbup:

Shouldn't there be a rule about part usage, i.e. A and B model must use the same parts? At least, that's what I remember from the discussion...

Shouldn't there be a rule about part usage, i.e. A and B model must use the same parts? At least, that's what I remember from the discussion...

Isn't that implied by being a B-model?!

But I can add a line, no problem.

Maybe some percentage - 80%?

No, let's keep it simple.

The better the B-model, the more votes.

Isn't that implied by being a B-model?!

But I can add a line, no problem.

I agree it's implied, but I know this community here a bit now: if it isn't explicit, it will be argued. Or actually, it will be argued anyway :wink:

I agree it's implied, but I know this community here a bit now: if it isn't explicit, it will be argued. Or actually, it will be argued anyway :wink:

True that. I have added two lines :thumbup:

So we need then make some awesome B model, and then A out of it?

Not sure where you are going with this question. Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Not sure where you are going with this question. Don't make it more difficult than it is.

OK, from these two rules it's clear, which is B model- The B-model (alternate model) needs to be built using only parts which are used in the main model (just like an official B-model)- No extra parts can be used for the B-model

Maybe it would be good to make explicit whether custom stickers are allowed.

Custom stickers are allowed. I will add a line in the General Contest Rules.

If we build a vehicle with side mirrors will they be counted in or not? Size wise I mean...

I have similar question - if I build suspended vehicle may I messure height when shock absorbers are compressed to get lower height?

I have similar question - if I build suspended vehicle may I messure height when shock absorbers are compressed to get lower height?

Ahh....the fine print... :tongue:

Vehicle needs to have a neutral mode, in which you don't apply any pressure. So if your vehicle has an adjustable ride height, it's fine. If you need to manually push the vehicle down, it's not okay.

Edit: this one is debatable (see below)

If we build a vehicle with side mirrors will they be counted in or not? Size wise I mean...

If the mirrors can be folded (like a real car) it's okay. If they are fixed, they count towards the limit.

Think of a box in which you can fit the model. If the side mirrors don't fit, the model doesn't fit.

Applying the box analogy to suspension; you can compress the suspension (i.e. push the model down) to fit the box. I am on the fence whether to allow for suspension to be compressed. Any thoughts are welcome.

Applying the box analogy to suspension; you can compress the suspension (i.e. push the model down) to fit the box. I am on the fence whether to allow for suspension to be compressed. Any thoughts are welcome.

I think you can't win much extra space or volume with this. It would help models with just a little bit bigger size so it should be OK to allow it.

Maybe add a rule, the B model has to be made out of A model only parts, no additional standalone parts allowed?

Never mind... Anyway good luck to everyone!

Edited by Zblj

Maybe add a rule, the B model has to be made out of A model only parts, no additional standalone parts allowed?

I think you missed something :wink:

Hi,

I guess entry topic should also provide size calculation, if this is one of the main constraints, perhapse photos with clearly visible size, i.e. too?

Also, you'd better add B model size regulation in there is any...