bpwilly3

Clone Brands Train discussions

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of Enlighten Trains. They supposedly look like and they fit legos perfectly. At first I was excited when they had some different things than lego trains. I was especially excited when I saw some of the diesel trains they have, which lego doesn't have. (#630 Union Pacific Engine) I bought this engine for $0.01. The shipping was $15.00! Enlighten just makes sure they make $15-$30 on each set, whether it comes from price or shipping. When I got my package it was in a plastic bag with instructions on a sheet of printer paper. I decided it was a bunch of bull &*$%. The train looked so bad, and it did not fit with my legos at all. :devil:

Later I found out that more than having unique trains they pirated lego trains like the Sante Fe Super Chief or the World City Sets, even the design of the boxes! How is this legal? :thumbdown:

Please tell me what you think

Here is a URL for some Enlighten trains.

http://www.a2ztoy.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=478&osCsid=72abf95ce3790fc897348dee2d26a640

Hi there bpwilly3, we've actually had this kind of discussion on a pretty regular basis. The last time I can remember this being talked about was with regards to powering such non-LEGO products in this here thread, although I'm 100% sure I can dig up at least 5 or 6 other similar ones, perhaps sans the real point of discussing motorizing those sets.

Btw, LEGO clone brands are discussed and reviewed on a regular basis here, just so that people know what they're getting (or rather, not getting out of such products). You could for example have a look in the Pirates forum and you'll notice that there's a thread discussing specifically Chinese LEGO Pirates bootlegs.

As to this being "legal" - well, let's just say that TLG have other fish to fry...

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire personally. :thumbdown:

Since Lego can only protect it's name being stamped on the studs of the brick, it's almost a free-for-all for the clone companies....the other day seeing in a cheap shop sitting on a clone style train set, but you only brick-built the 2 carriages while the engine was just a cheap pre-built train ! *oh2*

Our loyalty lies with Lego and will always stay with Lego.....and if those clones have a good idea...take it...MOC it in LEGO ! :grin:

Brick On ! :grin:

i have always looked at the cheaper crap but i dont want to dilute my collection with non legos. so much time and effort has gone into keeping the bins pure. and in the end, it is only money lol

I actually bought the union pacific diesel just to see how good it was. Mine came in its original unopened package and the instruction book was similar to Lego too.I paid 14.00 for it and 8.00 for shipping,to be honest,mine built very well and does not look all that bad(aside from color varies from Lego colors).Now,I do not plan on buying any of their other styles,and this one is the one I let my kids play with,but if Lego can't figure a better way to supply and pack their track(I would rather have curves than flex-track)I am considering supplementing my layout with the Enlighten track packs(if I find it at a decent price).

I brought the 'Union Pacific' too, as stacker9000 mentioned , mine does not look that bad either.default_sceptic.gif

The only Enlighten train I was impressed by was the 'Deluxe locomotive' and the Deluxe 'passenger car', these were not Lego originals but there own designs I think?. Never the less I am in the process of re creating them out of Lego as it will fit in better with what I already have.default_laugh_new.gif

I only use cheap Lego for parts you don't see such as filler bricks. default_tong.gif

Greetings! :classic:

I will have to agree! I am not a big fan of generic crap in my LEGO collection. Call me a purist but I don't see the kind of quality that you find in LEGO. I was tempted a long time ago to get an enlighten set :devil: ..... more on a whim of curiosity, but I don't see (or hear) anything appealing about them.

Edited by Vestabuyer

Ok, two sides of the argument:

Enlighten stuff is a Lego Clone. Not as good quality, but they have done some unique designs, the green electric loco and carriages for one. Agreed, the wheels have more friction and the bricks are heavier. My solution is to either apply silicone grease to the nipple or replace with genuine lego wheels. I have no problems with the Enlighten Train, and gives a bit more choice, when Lego stop their designs, which are lost forever.

Actually the BNSF rip-off is an exact copy of as real engine. It was in a film, I saw. If I remember what it is...

Lego is much better - the original, and still brings out good models. just seems not enough, as the 80's, when you could buy carriages, all types of track and accessories. Now it is just main kits that are released.

Both have their place, and it is up to the buying public if they buy it or not.

This is using one lego 9v motor, pulling three carriages. Normal enlighten wheels, greased. At full power, derails on the curves. How fast do you want to go?

I like it. Better internal detailing I've every seen on a lego train.

Edited by Brickimad

Like I always say, if a clone brand has a great design....Legoify it...yes, build it in the original and genuine stuff. We should thumb our noses and give the clone trains the bird, only their ideas are good, the merchandise itself.....usually not so crash hot ! :wink:

Oh, I found an Oz web site selling said brand with said train theme....oh, dear ! :devil:

That is the train I have Brickimad, only I got two carriages.

The entire train sits one stud higher than normal Lego built trains, that's another reason why I'm re creating them out of the genuine bricks.default_laugh2.gif

I just built a great MOC of the 623 passenger loco and a few of 624 cars to go with it. It now looks a lot like San Francisco streetcars back in the day. I am sorry but I can't include pictures for my camera broke. :cry_sad:

Here is a pic of the enlighten train engine

140.jpg

140.jpg

The important question how does it compare to real Lego, in design and especially quality of the pieces in the set ?

Hopefully you can post more pictures.....it would be interesting to get hold of the instructions and Lego-ify it ? :wink:

As it's not a good day for model flying(my other hobby). I'll use my new camera to get some inside pics of the enlighten trains.

I know some people might not like "clone" brands, and believe this is Blasphemy. Once one has bought all the Lego, this is the next best thing...

One interesting fact, they use doors! Saves the passengers having to walk through solid surfaces to get to their seats. Quite novel design also on the windows. All the motifs are printed straight onto the bricks. Looks better and won't get unstuck. Even the windows have curtains and detail.

I reckon Lego should "clone" some ideas from here.

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0208.jpg

DSCF0213-1.jpg

DSCF0212-1.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0226-2.jpg

DSCF0223-1.jpg

DSCF0222.jpg

Edited by Brickimad

Our loyalty lies with Lego and will always stay with Lego.....and if those clones have a good idea...take it...MOC it in LEGO ! :grin:

This sounds like Obi-One says in Revenge of the Sith! :yoda:

I can only agree with the Tiger! :laugh:

In terms of design, these are such blatant copies of discontinued Lego train models it makes me wonder if Lego has actually licensed their design to this company, if not I'm sure they will be looking for compensation very soon! Either this or the factory in China where they are making many bricks these days is using Lego's molds to make bricks for this other company. The joys of outsourcing to Asia, goodbye control! Remember the days where Lego took their old moulds and concreted them into foundations of their factory to prevent them getting into the hands of the competition. (Monorail track)

Just think about the cost of an injection mould, lets say 20,000 GBP per mould, there must be over 100 different moulds used in these trains, how would a new company plough that amount of money into new moulds without any proven sales history, they so have to be using lego moulds? and then removing the logos from the bricks?

Edited by paul_delahaye

Dear goodness.....Entan WTF? Ideas look good, but still the genuine rocks ! :laugh:

Wait a minute isn't the Octan green and red symbol protected by copywrite ? :look:

Brick On with LEGO ! :grin:

ok, for me no way I'll ever buy them, but for sure I may think about copying some ideas.

for the tracks... well, that would be a good deal! the brown color make them looking nice, like real dirty tracks and the price is less than half the lego one!

is there anyone out there who already bought them?

mrBlue

Of course, everybody is entitled to his or her opinion.

I reckon the minifigs are pretty good, for what they are and hard to tell them apart, unless you really look.

If anyone wants me to "review" the other enlighten train stuff, I have almost all of them (except the Xmas clone).

leave a post here on this thread, and I'll do it.

as always, it would be nice to have some more infos: it's always good to know your enemy before!

I would like to know something more about the tracks. I'm planning to build a big train layout and the cheap price of those brown tracks is very intetesting!

mrBlue

I would suggest buying a pack, to try them out. As they are quite cheap, anyway.

I don't have the tracks, as I have loads of 9v and 12v stuff, and is not required. What's good, is they are compatable

with the 9v/ rc tracks, and are an alternative, or should I say, the only choice now Lego have stopped making curved units.

The thing that disappoints me most with the Enlighten sets is the fact that the set designers appear to have no imagination of their own whatsoever. Most of the bricks are copies, down to the tiniest details, which is one thing, but the shocking fact is that they don't even bother with making their own logos. The little railway logo, with the two arrows, can be found on the minifig torsos; the printed overalls on the mechanic standing on that tanker car is an exact copy of a Lego design; not to mention that Oct... oh, sorry, Entan logo. It's provocative and ridiculous.