Shadows

TUTORIAL Posting Deeplinked Images from Brickshelf

Posting Deeplinked Images from Brickshelf

A Tutorial

Welcome!

Posting an image on Eurobricks is easy, as long as you know where it is. If you already know how to locate the proper URL (address) of your image, skip to step 6 to learn how to post it.

When that image is stored on Brickshelf, it's absolutely necessary to get the exact address where the picture is stored before trying to post it. The only way to do that is through deeplinking, which also makes it possible to show images before their folder has been moderated, an added advantage.

Fortunately, it's simple: just follow these easy steps.

NOTE: These images were taken from Firefox. Different browsers may look different, but the steps involved are the same.

1. Go to www.brickshelf.com and log in to your account. The red circle indicates where to log in. If the file isn't yours, find the account of the user you wish to share the picture from and go there instead. The blue circle offers two ways to search for the user or image.

deelpink-step1.jpg

2. Click the folder that the image is stored in. If it is in a subfolder, click that and keep navigating until you see a thumbnail (tiny image) of the picture you want, then move to the step 3.

deeplink-step2.jpg

3. Find the picture you want to show in your post and click it.

deeplink-step3.jpg

4. You should now see the picture you want. After you click it again, it will look like Step 5.

deeplink-step4.jpg

5. Copy the URL (location) of the image from the address bar of your browser, which is shown here circled in red. The easiest way is to rightclick and select "copy". If you know how to post an image, you can skip the rest and go use the URL you just copied. Good job!

deeplink-step5.jpg

6. Return to the post you are editing and press the "Insert Image" icon. rte-image-button.png

deeplink-step6a.jpg

Paste the URL from earlier in the new box. In this example, you're about to post a sigfig to the "Your Sig-fig" thread.

deeplink-step6b.jpg

7. Finish your post and submit it.

deeplink-step7.jpg

All done! You've now added a deeplinked picture to your post. Congratulations!

one problem, when i do that from Brickshelf, an error message appears and says "Sorry, we [EB] do not accept img tags here." But when i do it from Flcikr, its fine. Any particular reason why this would happen? i would guess it has something to do with the URL...

But thanks for the tutorial!

Edited by JimButcher

one problem, when i do that from Brickshelf, an error message appears and says "Sorry, we [EB] do not accept img tags here." But when i do it from Flcikr, its fine. Any particular reason why this would happen? i would guess it has something to do with the URL...

But thanks for the tutorial!

Post what you are trying to enter between [ code ] tags using this button: rte-code-button.png in the reply screen, so I can see what you're trying to post...

It will look like this:

[img=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/legowiz23/ebthumbnails/17854.jpg]

one problem, when i do that from Brickshelf, an error message appears and says "Sorry, we [EB] do not accept img tags here."

If I had to guess, at step 4, you aren't clicking the image again. You need to make sure that the picture you want is all that appears on your screen when you copy the URL. It'll end in whatever extension your picture has (jpg, gif or png, usually).

If you try with the folder URL, you'll get that error.

Hope this helps!

I got it

Glad you figured it out, I went ahead and deleted your double post anyway.

Sorry for posting here again (and thanks for the help before), but I was wondering: how do you use an image as a link? For example, if I wanted to advertise a MOC in my sig, how would I change the picture so that when someone would click on it, it would take them right to the topic? Thanks for the help! :sweet:

it is as easy as having the picture selected when you go to click the link button rte-link-button.png, this way it will just ask for the link location and not ask for a link name, and hey presto you have a picture that is a link! -thats how i do it any way!

Regards Cpt. PB

Sorry for posting here again (and thanks for the help before), but I was wondering: how do you use an image as a link? For example, if I wanted to advertise a MOC in my sig, how would I change the picture so that when someone would click on it, it would take them right to the topic? Thanks for the help! :sweet:

We're here to help, it's no problem at all.

it is as easy as having the picture selected when you go to click the link button rte-link-button.png, this way it will just ask for the link location and not ask for a link name, and hey presto you have a picture that is a link!

Right, and thanks for helping out, Blocky! :thumbup:

An image as a link to an eB thread (or any link), will look something like this:

[url="http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17094"][img=http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/style_images/flags/builders_guild.gif][/url]

or

[url="your link url here"][img=your image url here][/url]

Which produces this: builders_guild.gif

We're here to help, it's no problem at all.

Right, and thanks for helping out, Blocky! :thumbup:

An image as a link to an eB thread (or any link), will look something like this:

[url="http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17094"][img=http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/style_images/flags/builders_guild.gif][/url]

or

[url="your link url here"][img=your image url here][/url]

Which produces this: builders_guild.gif

Aha! thanks both of you. Let me try it out:

2650995798_af0a0b6778_o.jpg

Hey, I did it! :sweet: thanks a ton, IS and Blockbeard!

Edited by JimButcher

>SNIP<

Hey, I did it! :sweet: thanks a ton, IS and Blockbeard!

Glad i could be of help! Im sure IS would have told you anyway, i thought i might steal it from him :devil:

Blocky is always happy to help!

Regards Cpt. PB

Hello,

I tried to insert 2 images from Brickshelf (2x deeplink with the "insert image" button) but I got this message:

Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

Why is that?

Nevermind, I think I got it.

I was writing:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3381726

instead of:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/csiquet/Random/01.jpg

You can erase my thread if you want.

Edited by csiquet

Do I have to be a member of one of those sites[brickshelf, flicker ect.] or can I do it right from my own files.

Thanks for that, I tried it out and it worked perfectly. Now I can show off my creations withough having to put links in. :thumbup::classic:

Glad i could be of help! Im sure IS would have told you anyway, i thought i might steal it from him :devil:

Blocky is always happy to help!

Regards Cpt. PB

Sorry to dig this up, but I get this problem sometimes; I do nothing different in my upload procedures. What exactly makes an image dynamic, and how can I get around it so that I may post it on the forum?

Do I have to be a member of one of those sites[brickshelf, flicker ect.] or can I do it right from my own files.

You can attach images from your own files but have a very limited amount of upload space on our server. You are better of joining Brickshelf or Flickr.

Sorry to dig this up, but I get this problem sometimes; I do nothing different in my upload procedures. What exactly makes an image dynamic, and how can I get around it so that I may post it on the forum?

I don't understand your question. You may only upload .jpgs or .gifs. If you are trying to post a link, it is dynamic a file extension such as .php or .html shows up. You are trying to post a page. A lot of times flickr's first level of an album before you click "all sizes" is just a loading script and not the actual image. Is that what you mean?

You can attach images from your own files but have a very limited amount of upload space on our server. You are better of joining Brickshelf or Flickr.

How do you do that.

I don't understand your question. You may only upload .jpgs or .gifs. If you are trying to post a link, it is dynamic a file extension such as .php or .html shows up. You are trying to post a page. A lot of times flickr's first level of an album before you click "all sizes" is just a loading script and not the actual image. Is that what you mean?

The problem is that some image hosting sites show images as something like picture.php?show=me.jpg and hope that forums accept this as a picture because the URL ends with jpg. The engine behind Eurobricks (correctly) sees this as a .php file which might be everything from a web-page (html) to a picture (jpg).

The reason why imageshack and others prefer deeplinking using .php-URLs is that it minimizes server load (you don't have to resolve the URL to something else).

If you see the URL behind my signature images, they are of the good old .jpg-type, but those URLs are actually rerouting to a php script on the server.

The conclusion:

Rejecting .php files while accepting off-site .jpg-files gives you a false sense of security from pictures not showing: A .php file can serve a legit picture while a .jpg can try to serve you a web-page.

It will be better if all URLs ending with .jpg and so on were accepted while URLs ending with something else should give errors because the user probably is making an error.

So for some reason I can't link to Brickshelf and when I try that image tag nested within url tag for images with links in them to use Brickshelf thumbnails to link to their larger images... it tells me "dynamic pages are not allowed" or something.

And the weird thing is that I did this successfully before... but now it isn't working. What's happening here?

EDIT: Disregard this, I suck.

Edited by Toa of Whimsy