70 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

INDEXED

As you all know Australia for some reason have all the City 2010 lego sets available.

Here is my review of the 3182 Airport Set:

Initial findings:

58cm (l) x 48cm (h) x 9cm (w)

1983 grams - Total

431 grams - Box Only

Pieces ?? (Need to count as it again doesnt say on the box! - Do that later)

Size and weights of the instruction books:

Book 1: 20cm x 12.3cm - 26 grams

Book 2: 28cm x 21.2cm - 141 grams

Book 3: 27.3cm x 20.5cm - 121 grams

Book 4: 13.3cm x 20cm - 21 grams

Total weight of instuctions: 309 grams

When opening the box DO NOT open both sides! Just open one side only as all items will fall out both ways if you open them both sides!

Front box art:

P1020573%20(Small).JPG

Rear box art:

P1020574%20(Small).JPG

Box art: Showing which packets you use to make each part.

P1020615%20(Small).JPG

The plane:

P1020619%20(Small).JPG

Whole set:

P1020621%20(Small).JPG

Airport car:

P1020622%20(Small).JPG

HEY! I liked this lol

P1020617%20(Small).JPG

All pieces lay out:

P1020624%20(Small).JPG

Book 1:

P1020625%20(Small).JPG

Book 2:

P1020627%20(Small).JPG

Book 3:

P1020628%20(Small).JPG

Book 4:

P1020629%20(Small).JPG

Book 5:

P1020630%20(Small).JPG

Interesting parts not part of the main packets:

Contains the front and rear of the plane as one set, the wing as one whole piece and the base of the airport.

P1020631%20(Small).JPG

ok time to build this........!

Edited by d00dz

Dam it because of your 3181 review I brought that today - now the 3182 - well I want the building and tower - but I have a jet already, ah well I'll have two then.

Can't wait to read your review.

Keep on building 'd00dz', oh yeah I'm a conformist! too ! :classic:

I decided to build the plane as that was my main reason to buy this set. Also because I dont have room for the actual airport. (I will make room in the next few weeks)

But so far the plane is larger than the 3181 plane.

Measuring in at 52cm long and 45cm long wing span.

Very easy to build. This time it has more interior than the 3181 plane, even has a split first class and economy section.

The two engines used real lego propeller shapes which was good. Cockpit looks roomy, despite having the main center console being a sticker. (Kinda sucked as the side panels were imprinted).

The front sliding door was definitely interesting, it replicated a real planes method of closing (if you have ever seen a plane shut, it is the same).

What I found annoying was the why did lego only give two engines? There is room for 2 pairs or even 3 pairs of engines. Even has the grooves there.

The wing lacked detail in my opinion, could have done more with it.

No landing gear that is retractable but I guess this is not a technic set so it shouldnt be moveable.

The front of the plane looks really good like an actual 747 plane.

The tail to my surprise did NOT have a sticker as it was imprinted on! :o I was going to turn it into a QANTAS plane but no go now. :(

The rear was just one whole piece which I found annoying would have been good to build the rear yourself or turn it into a cargo plane.

Pros:

Large!

Interior is pretty good

Door mechanism is good

Front of plane looks awesome

Cons:

Only two engines with option for more but werent supplied.

Wing span area lacked detail, as it was just one big plastic piece

Could have done more with the rear.

But overall I like it as it is a LEGO PLANE!

Anyways here are the images and comments:

Two bags split into two sections:

P1020633%20(Small).JPG

Rear tail one whole piece:

P1020634%20(Small).JPG

Building:

P1020637%20(Small).JPG

P1020638%20(Small).JPG

P1020639%20(Small).JPG

See wing is one whole plastic piece!

P1020640%20(Small).JPG

Interior microwave of some description: (Dont put the door the wrong way around! lol)

P1020643%20(Small).JPG

Interior:

P1020644%20(Small).JPG

Cockpit: The center was a sticker! the two sides were etched on.

P1020645%20(Small).JPG

First class:

P1020647%20(Small).JPG

Economy:

P1020648%20(Small).JPG

Rear lacking some detail:

P1020650%20(Small).JPG

13x windows:

P1020651%20(Small).JPG

One side window done:

P1020652%20(Small).JPG

Both sides done:

P1020655%20(Small).JPG

Door mechanism:

P1020656%20(Small).JPG

P1020657%20(Small).JPG

Overview:

P1020658%20(Small).JPG

P1020659%20(Small).JPG

Front of plane:

P1020660%20(Small).JPG

Rear of plane with etched detail logo:

P1020666%20(Small).JPG

The two engines with spinning fan parts:

P1020661%20(Small).JPG

Base of plane: See heaps of room for more engines!

P1020663%20(Small).JPG

Plane complete:

P1020664%20(Small).JPG

Comparing the 3181 and 3182 plane:

P1020670%20(Small).JPG

Edited by d00dz

Funny thing about this set is I cannot even add a review to it on bricksets as it says set is "Not yet released"

Let me go find the minifigs and maybe build the tow car as it looks funky.

EDIT:

HAHAHA I had more fun building the small car and the minifigs than the plane itself!

Here are some cool pics:

What I built:

P1020673%20(Small).JPG

The minifigs in this set:

P1020677%20(Small).JPG

This was cool the baggage car, it even has 3 baggages!

P1020679%20(Small).JPG

hehehehe

P1020680%20(Small).JPG

P1020682%20(Small).JPG

Edited by d00dz

Thanks 'd00dz' for the review so far, cant wait to see the actual terminal.

Beside maybe it's time to compere.......7893-1.jpgP1020664%20(Small).JPG

Any differences ?

To me just the wings and engines are different, oh yeah the older one is blue and white.....now I wonder where I saw a blue and white plane tonight ? :grin:

You know it would not take much to make some QANTAS logos - thanks to this having a red tail section.

I'm a conformist! !

.....snip.....

The blue one looks slightly longer due to the extra door there. It's got nicer wings too. But being blue it kinda sucks. Makes it harder to make it QANTAS and whenever I think of planes some reason I think of QANTAS. Guess it's all those ads back in the day. With that song n all.

Might make room now and build the terminal and the radar system.

EDIT:

Wow just finished building the airport and the radio tower!

It was interesting. The airport had a lot of features. - Revolving door that actually turned, lights around the airport, security checkpoints, baggage xrays, a ticket counter with a computer, vending machine I think, radio antennas.

There are way to many photos to link here so im just gonna post a few. The rest will go on brickshelf.

Front of airport:

P1020694%20(Small).JPG

Back of airport:

P1020699%20(Small).JPG

Radio Tower:

P1020705%20(Small).JPG

In summary overall as a whole the 3182 set is really awesome. It has so many componets and sections very fun to build. Initially after building the plane I was gonna give it 4/5 but now after building everything else Id give it 4.5/5. A must if you want to own an airport.

Here is the combined image of the set:

P1020710%20(Small).JPG

Edited by d00dz

Also in the 2006 model it had a drinks cart on board, that fell out all the time - a bit of a pain.

Anyway I still call Australia home ! :laugh:

I'm a conformist! !

Thanks for the review! I'm curious as to why there is no piece count on the box.

I'm having visions of a large airport being built by someone. If i buy the new airport sets it will make for a grand total of 5 airplanes in my collection. hmmm!..

Definitely brings to mind the QUANTAS airlines with the red and white.

Wow, this is a very massive set, and I'm shocked at the amount of special pieces to build that plane. It is almost getting away from the idea of LEGO. BUT it does look outstanding.

Your pictures are really good too, very easy to look at.

Great review!!

Thanks for the review!

The terminal looks nice. It has a very "classic town" look and feel to it, which is great.

That airplane though ... man, I hate these new planes. They're just too damn big, and they look ridiculous when placed next to the terminal.

I'm curious as to why there is no piece count on the box.

I think only us North Americans get piece counts on the box

The airport is actually nice. For a town set, it gives a very big feeling of the structure like you get in an actual airport, with that high roof and roomy, roomy interior. Also, big glass windows actually work well here, as opposed to big glass windows on Police and Fire windows. Very nice airport.

The plane is Duplo.

nice review d00dz.

do you mind tell us the third instruction book serial number found on the back page. ie.:4585xxx

thanks.

Damn I was hoping that I could get away with not buying this set and make do with the 10159 Airport but this set looks to good not to get.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for burning the midnight oil 'd00dz' ! :classic:

I going to get the airport now A.S.A.P. (like when the cash is free to use again) because that terminal - particually screams MOD me. Why is it there a walkway between the table area and the cafe counter ? That's what I will put in mine !

I'm a conformist! !

Wow, this is a very massive set, and I'm shocked at the amount of special pieces to build that plane. It is almost getting away from the idea of LEGO. BUT it does look outstanding.

Maybe it's just me, but this set goes wrong with every little thing like the sets that LEGO released through most of the 90s. There are simply far too many big, specialized pieces here. Sure, it looks realistic, but if I wanted hyper-realistic, I'd buy a model kit, not LEGO.

I'm guessing the reason there isn't a piece-count on the box is because marketing didn't want to admit that with such a huge set there are only 19 pieces in the box. /sarcasm

nice review d00dz.

do you mind tell us the third instruction book serial number found on the back page. ie.:4585xxx

thanks.

It says 4585185. Does that get you a online copy?

Another nice review. I like this airport better than the old one. The plane is cool, especially the cockpit :thumbup:

Great review! :thumbup:

The box art is great as usual and the pilot yelling "Hey" is funny and pointless :grin:

Oh is that a baseplate I see?? :oh: Ever rare nowadays.

The plane is very nice, it has a great interior. And all those large prefabricated parts, partly necessary but maybe not. Airplanes are very slick and aerodynamic in real life and would seem hard to replicate in Lego without being blocky, however the Jet you reviewed early is mostly brickbuilt showing that it is possible. Oh and the one time you want a stickered part they give you a printed one :laugh:

However it would be easy to add the additional engines, but yes they should have put 2 on each side.

The minifigs are very nice here, such as the pilot, stewardess and passengers.

Little baggage car is cute but I don't really like it :sceptic:

The airport itself is ok, better than the previous one but not amazing.

Interior is pretty good but the problem is that airports are huge, so a much larger set with 3 terminals would have captured the feel.

I will have to pass on this set with all the other great ones coming out :classic:

It says 4585185. Does that get you a online copy?

too bad, the online copy still not come up yet. looks like we've to wait for now.

O MY GOD!!! i got this set today to and im also from australia (perth crap place to buy new lego sets early) anyway when i got this set today i was sooooooooo angry because.... :cry_sad: i didnt get da sticker sheet

i know i know some people who'll read this will think o well its just the sticker sheet but... YOU CANT BUILD THIS SET WITHOUT OUT THEM IT IS JUST...INCOMPLETE WITHOUT THE :sad: prehaps D00dz will know what i mean

so sorry tht im all angry abbout this but i thought that since it kinda relates to the subject i thought id say something

aside from that great review D00dz i couldnt of done it better than myself even with the sticker sheet :tongue:

HAPPY BUILDING PEOPLE!!!

It looks really nice better that old airport of mine. Although that one had 2 planes (if memorie serves me right).

Maybe I'll buy this one as I am planning to rebuild my Lego-town on my new attic.

O MY GOD!!! i got this set today to and im also from australia (perth crap place to buy new lego sets early) anyway when i got this set today i was sooooooooo angry because.... :cry_sad: i didnt get da sticker sheet

i know i know some people who'll read this will think o well its just the sticker sheet but... YOU CANT BUILD THIS SET WITHOUT OUT THEM IT IS JUST...INCOMPLETE WITHOUT THE :sad: prehaps D00dz will know what i mean

so sorry tht im all angry abbout this but i thought that since it kinda relates to the subject i thought id say something

aside from that great review D00dz i couldnt of done it better than myself even with the sticker sheet :tongue:

HAPPY BUILDING PEOPLE!!!

Double-check the instruction booklets to see if the sticker sheet is stuck inside the pages. That's happened to me before. If not, just call Lego, and they'll send you another one.

Also, take a look at your keyboard to see if it has a Shift key. If so, you can use it to perform simple capitalization, such as the first letter of every sentence. :thumbup: