Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

AoM: Mages' Barracks - Phase II

Phase II entry for Age of Mitgardia Barracks.

10893484695_52034f2395_z.jpg

High in the Heavenly Mountains, accessible only by a mountain tunnel concealed and guarded by ancient magic, lies a secret training ground for the battlemages of Mitgardia. Alfgeir Dragon-Claw supervises the activities and manages admittance from his mountain cabin.

C&C welcome!

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrcp6d/sets/72157637743873023/

I'm also looking for PoH credits for:

--Architecture: 1x1 walls

--Architecture: roof rakes

--Landscaping Design: trees (for the big one)

--Geography: mountains and cliffs

Thanks!

Nice! Love the rockwork and flag! Cool trees and figs too! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks man, I really liked playing around with the figs for these magic people.

Wow, I really like this. I like how much is going on.

Thanks!

If this is phase II, I can't wait for phase III!

I can't either! But it'll probably be in January. :sad:

Wonderful landscape and that tree design looks really neat :thumbup: Any hints on how it was accomplished? The little cabin is excellent and fits Mitgardia perfectly. The training dummies are some of the best I've seen and I like how you included food and drink at the training ground :classic:

Very well done build, with a lot of nice details!

I'm also looking for PoH credits for:

--Architecture: 1x1 walls

--Architecture: roof rakes

--Landscaping Design: trees (for the big one)

--Geography: mountains and cliffs

I have no hesitation to "+1-ing" credits for "Geography: mountains and cliffs", one of three credits for "Landscaping Design: trees" (for the big one, but maybe you should try some bigger trees for the other two?), "Architecture: roof rakes".

When it comes to "Architecture: 1x1 walls" I'm not as certain of the +1, as it says "Demonstrate mastery of three advanced wall techniques." and I'm not sure of what "mastery" means here. You have definitely used the technique so I guess it's an undecided issue how extensive these different examples of wall design have to be to get credited. Any opinions from NM et al?

Other than that, I definitely think this build overall is well enough to merit 4 credits, I'm just uncertain about that mastery issue :wink:

When it comes to the image posting here, I'd prefer if you posted flickr thumbnails rather than a slide show since that is not possible to view on many mobile devices (including iPhone and iPad) which I know that many are using to view the forum.

Beautiful! I love the idea and the execution is also very nice! So much going on and so many details to see - and for some reason it totally reminds me of the camps in Skyrim.

Love the tree on the right! Any insights in the technique?

Keep on the great work!

Edited by Rolli

Awesome work, this MOC just screams Mitgardia. The figure with the ice axes fighting the fire-demon thing looks great.

This is awesome! glad to see you continued the theme of mages from phase 1!

Thank you!

Wonderful landscape and that tree design looks really neat :thumbup: Any hints on how it was accomplished? The little cabin is excellent and fits Mitgardia perfectly. The training dummies are some of the best I've seen and I like how you included food and drink at the training ground :classic:

Thanks SK! I'll get some pics of the tree up later. I've got two other dummies built that didn't make it into this MOC, saving them for Archery or a CCC build or something.

[...] When it comes to "Architecture: 1x1 walls" I'm not as certain of the +1, as it says "Demonstrate mastery of three advanced wall techniques." and I'm not sure of what "mastery" means here. You have definitely used the technique so I guess it's an undecided issue how extensive these different examples of wall design have to be to get credited. [...]

When it comes to the image posting here, I'd prefer if you posted flickr thumbnails rather than a slide show since that is not possible to view on many mobile devices (including iPhone and iPad) which I know that many are using to view the forum.

Thanks Gideon, I'm not sure what "master" means either, one of those subjective things I suppose and probably why you guys are requiring 4 "+1's" :laugh:

I'll keep the slideshow vs link thing in mind in the future, excellent point there.

It looks great, with the nice rocks and snow. The interesting techniques also add variety to it. :thumbup:

Welcome to winter-time in Mitgardia! Thanks!

[...] Love the tree on the right! Any insights in the technique? [...]

I have lots of insights on that tree. :wink: I'll pull it out of the MOC and take some pics soon.

Awesome work, this MOC just screams Mitgardia. The figure with the ice axes fighting the fire-demon thing looks great.

Thanks, the fire-demon was a bit of an afterthought, but I'm glad I included it!

a lot of cool stuff, great action, great snow and I really like how you incorporated your ideas form phase I into this!

a lot of cool stuff, great action, great snow and I really like how you incorporated your ideas form phase I into this!

Thanks kabel, I do really like building snow :laugh:

Very nice, fantastic rockwork, and lovely angles!

Thanks buddy!

Awesome moc. The archway in the mountain and the little cabin stands out.

Thanks kermit, I spent a lot of time on that roof. Though, looking at LD's stuff, I need to spend some more time on them! :hmpf_bad:

Here's a little reverse engineering for the tree:

11073240166_0a384570a5_z.jpg

Edited by mrcp6d

UP grading: +1 for the roof rake, the stunted tree and the mountains/cliff scene. As far as the 1x1 walls are concerned, i'd like to see you incorporate the technique to include other features like windows, door lintels and the like - this seems a little too sparsely used to indicate mastery. I think what you have done with it here is integrated harmoniously, but i'd just like to see a little more of it. :classic:

The snow covered cliffs do frame the scene nicely though, with the angled placement of the small hut softening the corner there. I like the action filled stage too. :thumbup: I am intruiged by the little entrance into the cliff as well, although it kinda bugs me that the interior is the same white as the background! :wink:

UP grading: +1 for the roof rake, the stunted tree and the mountains/cliff scene. As far as the 1x1 walls are concerned, i'd like to see you incorporate the technique to include other features like windows, door lintels and the like - this seems a little too sparsely used to indicate mastery. I think what you have done with it here is integrated harmoniously, but i'd just like to see a little more of it. :classic:

[...] it kinda bugs me that the interior is the same white as the background! :wink:

You guys are killing me :wall::wink:

There were windows in that cabin on both sides and the back and the whole thing was 1x1 rounds with red-brown "planks" breaking it up, kinda Tudor-style looking--then I went and hid all that work behind the trees! :enough: Oh well, I'll build something else.

Yeah, I intended on covering that hole with a black wall and completely forgot!

You guys are killing me :wall::wink:

There were windows in that cabin on both sides and the back and the whole thing was 1x1 rounds with red-brown "planks" breaking it up, kinda Tudor-style looking--then I went and hid all that work behind the trees! :enough: Oh well, I'll build something else.

Yeah, I intended on covering that hole with a black wall and completely forgot!

There were? Aw that's sad, i couldn't see them in the pics that you supplied. :sad: Maybe with pics showing the sides of the cabin i would re-consider my vote. Certainly it's important to clearly show the elements that you want credit for! :wink:

Great moc and mages, the action is well achieved, the tunnel blends well with the mountains. :thumbup:

I really like how it's nestled in amongst the rocks, it feels so cozy - a great location to build barracks. Looking forward to phase III, and thanks for the tree tutorial, I will have to give that a try.

+1 UP Credit for the roof rakes, tree(s), and rockwork. I have to agree with Gabe that though there maybe some good 1x1 technique 'behind the bricks', if we can't see it we can't really approve it! Other than that, your tree is really neat and I like that roof!