Tom_castlefan

Revisiting old topics (Bumping)

First of all, I'm sorry if there is an obvious thread where I could of found this information.

I would like to know what the ruling is on reviving old threads that have disappeared from the first page, and roughly how far back is acceptable to re-drag something up.

For example, would it be frowned upon if I posted in a 2 month old thread which had a MOC that I simply had to comment on?

Not saying I have, just an example.

I only ask this as in previous forums I used to frequent (non-lego related), thread necromancy was frowned upon, and could even earn the person who did it a ban.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Providing there is a reason there is nothing wrong with it. Other forums may have rules on this but we don't. Just keep in mind that if a MOC is old it may have been recycled, or the member may not even visit here anymore.

Given that I see year-old threads dredged up all the time and threads that go for 30+ pages and months without being split-off I think you are pretty safe on a 2-month-old thread.

Well, there is nothing really "dead" about old threads. Any members whom chance upon the great archive of Eurobricks over the 4 years database, and found something worth mentioning and bringing attention once again from its crypts. Why not? Some of us, might miss it and may have a thing or two to add. :classic:

But please, don't start reviving old threads like crazy. Know what you need to said and add on to the views.. :wink:

I am sure, you know best. :sweet:

But please, don't start reviving old threads like crazy. Know what you need to said and add on to the views.. :wink:

Yes. Don't revive an old topic just to say "Nice MOC mate"... :wink:

Well it seems that this is unclear so I will say it again. :sceptic:

Posting in old (3 months or greater) topics is 100% OK if you are adding to the discussion. Common sense however should prevail; don't drag up old topics just to say "nice MOC", and don't expect a reply (or make replies) to any member; even if they are active they probably have completely forgotten about what they said at the time. Also, reviving an old topic just to be insulting to a MOC, review or comment is probably going to get you in trouble.

On a similar topic, if you aren't a moderator, don't act like one.

I assume this refers to me? :tongue:

Well sort of, but you aren't the only one. :tongue:

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up for me.

Not a prob; it's my job afterall! :wink:

Yeah, the first boards I visited usually had rules even banning the revival of a thread last posted in a week ago! At one point, they closed all the old threads so people wouldn't bump them, but maybe it's beacuse they had problems with troublemakers going into an old thread and saying something like "I LIKE TETRIS" (and not in a thread about Tetris, either). I got so used to it that I think it's really odd now when I see a thread from like 2004 bumped to the top...

I've seen some members revive old threads and ask them not to do so in the future. I revived some by accident because they were in the indexes. I made one about the website kimt.com and there was one that had something like that. In the future should I revive a thread or make a new one? I just want to know.

Thanks,

JCC1004

Reviving old threads can be good as if it is relative to the subject. It's better then starting a new thread when there already is one about it. It's annoying with performing searches. I like to get 1 decent thread in my during my search which can answer my questions, if not I could respond or ask within that given thread.

In that sense it must be a goood thing or at least acceptable.

Reviving a thread with spam or useless information could be a bad thing.

Edited by Perterz

Reviving old threads can be good as if it is relative to the subject. It's better then starting a new thread when there already is one about it. It's annoying with performing searches. I like to get 1 decent thread in my during my search which can answer my questions, if not I could respond or ask within that given thread.

In that sense it must be a goood thing or at least acceptable.

Reviving a thread with spam or useless information could be a bad thing.

And that is the one and only correct answer! :thumbup:

You may proceed for the refrigerator now. :laugh:

I've seen some members revive old threads and ask them not to do so in the future.

The only thing I would add is that you should let the staff ask people what to do and not to do. We will take care of it. If you think we've missed something you can use the report button located in the lower right hand corner of any post underneath the poster's profile. Thanks. :sweet:

I've told some not to revive old threads, some have told me that. I am assuming that's okay after the topic I made right? If it's jun tell them, or if it's meaningful don't. I just don't want to do something that you don't like.

As an Eurobricks member, it's perfectly alright to revive dead/old threads to re-ignite the discussion, if some of the following conditions are met,

1) The member must have a valid discussion point to raise in terms of constructive input, suggestions, recommendations, advice, ideas, views and etc that is able to justify the member's input by adding value to the topic. On the other hand, if the member adds in one line sentences with poor structure and value such as "This MOC is great.", "Can you show me how you do it? and "This is so cool!". Such input are simply pointless.

2) Reviving them, must have a sense of purpose in terms of relevance. For example, reviving a topic such as MOC, Reviews or recent discussions serve purpose. These topics do not have an expiry date attached to it. However, if topics such as "past news" or "sets speculations", and comments such as this "Hey, I knew this set was coming all along in the Viking series." and "You guys whom have guessed it right on the battlepacks. Kudos to you all." Well, for a known fact, we know such topics are already past news and there is simply no point and no reason for it to be ever revived.

3) Members are strongly encouraged to use "Search" function to check if similar discussion has ever exist in Eurobricks boards, and most of the time, some discussions do exist. We do not need similar discussions to be fragmented into multiple topics. Therefore, always have a habit of searching the forums by using keywords and revive them, if necessary.

Thanks.

You may proceed for the refrigerator now. :laugh:

I don't believe that's an expression outside a relatively small densely populated country in the north-west of Europe :grin:

Please refer to my above reply for a better understanding with regards to the topic question.

Sometimes people have revived old threads just to make some mundane or throwaway comment, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of call for that.

Other times people have revived old threads to follow-up on the original topic, which is often genuinely useful and interesting (common on other forums I've been on too). An example I would give was dredging up the 2008 thread on new Agents ideas, after we had the current wave released - so one could compare the suggestions with the reality.

Great question - I was honestly about to ask the same thing.

This thread is just the kind that would be valuable in a pinned FAQ Index thread discussed here.

As an Eurobricks member, it's perfectly alright to revive dead/old threads to re-ignite the discussion, if some of the following conditions are met,

1) The member must have a valid discussion point to raise in terms of constructive input, suggestions, recommendations, advice, ideas, views and etc that is able to justify the member's input by adding value to the topic. On the other hand, if the member adds in one line sentences with poor structure and value such as "This MOC is great.", "Can you show me how you do it? and "This is so cool!". Such input are simply pointless.

2) Reviving them, must have a sense of purpose in terms of relevance. For example, reviving a topic such as MOC, Reviews or recent discussions serve purpose. These topics do not have an expiry date attached to it. However, if topics such as "past news" or "sets speculations", and comments such as this "Hey, I knew this set was coming all along in the Viking series." and "You guys whom have guessed it right on the battlepacks. Kudos to you all." Well, for a known fact, we know such topics are already past news and there is simply no point and no reason for it to be ever revived.

3) Members are strongly encouraged to use "Search" function to check if similar discussion has ever exist in Eurobricks boards, and most of the time, some discussions do exist. We do not need similar discussions to be fragmented into multiple topics. Therefore, always have a habit of searching the forums by using keywords and revive them, if necessary.

Thanks.

Thank you. Finally a sane forum! I never understood why it is supposedly wrong to revive old threads... and I actually have a tendency to do that a lot.

Thank you. Finally a sane forum! I never understood why it is supposedly wrong to revive old threads... and I actually have a tendency to do that a lot.

This is something that seems to vary with every forum, and there are pros and cons to it. I'm a moderator on another forum and it's traditionally frowned upon there. On one hand, it can be confusing to see a string of posts from people who haven't frequented the forum in ages. I've seen cases where a guy posts a comment or response to someone's question, even though the person asking the question hasn't been seen in years. On the other hand, it could well be that the new poster has something to contribute to the thread that would interest other, current forum users.

Personally, I think as long as the new poster makes it clear that the thread is an old one being bumped, there is no problem. It only becomes an issue when the new poster acts as if nothing is going on and he is just responding to a currently active thread. :tongue:

Edited by CP5670