Meatman

Land Rover Defender 90 9398 Crawler Instructions

To be fair to the guy, they are both modelling the same vehicle so they are going to look similar, however that is freakishly similar....

I think it's not too identical. There are some little things that are almost 100% the same, but that's called inspiration :wink:

Of course they do look the same at a first glance, because it is the same car (in real life), but when you look closely, there only a few parts identical :classic:

It is difficult to make a real MOC but it is more difficult to do it if someone has already done before. Where the inspiration ends and copy begins?, who knows... I looked carefully both models and I think the small one is different enough in order not to be considered as a copy, in my opinion.

This model is a direct copy of my MOC, he only changes the wheelbase and add a roof.

But I don't know what I can do to avoid this... any idea??

This model is a direct copy of my MOC, he only changes the wheelbase and add a roof.

LEGO Technic Team had no problem to remove 100% copies of models created by Designer Han from the challenge. It was enough to write a comment on that entry.

But they did not removed entries which were only similar (they left there entries which differ only by colors) so exact rule is not known.

In this case the front mask is completely the same looks very similar (after taking a closer look), engine hood is using different parts, mud guards are the same, door windows are similar or the same, side line using axles and not beams to make it look better is the same, roof was added, so it will be their decision.

Landrover is such specific and recognizable design that they will look all very similar. But I think that he may be built yours first and then rebuilt it. It is very low probability that he would use the same color scheme when starting from a scratch without being heavily inspired by your model.

And more over - he published his creation on 12th of October - only 12 days after publishing official rules. Creating it without inspiration would probably take longer. The small one is different but with high probability inspired by yours.

Edited by hrontos

Let´s see two models... similar may be... completely the same never... I think the second one is a stud smaller and have different solutions, may be rebuild in a different way, who knows...

defender3.jpgp1070825d.jpg

I agree.

They look similar because they are both very good renditions of the same actual vehicle, and they both happen to be in the same colour! :classic:

At first glance, I too thought this was some plagiarism of Sheepo's MOC, but they seem to be built using two widely different techniques! I don't think I can see a single identical section on the two!

That being said, I like the look of Sheepo's the best, except for the headlights, which are better IMO on the other one :wink:

Let´s see two models... similar may be... completely the same never... I think the second one is a stud smaller and have different solutions, may be rebuild in a different way, who knows...

They are definitely not completely the same, but at least look like the smaller one being inspired by the big one.

Is it even 9398 chassis? It seems to be much lower than 9398. It looks like he used some pictures of his older model with XL motors for the challenge, because the new version with 9398 chassis as published recently is higher and no longer so nice defender.

Edited by hrontos

They look similar because of using rounded 2L connectors and gray color. This connectors make model look rounded. It was a good idea by Sheepo. Second designer was inspired by Sheepo and just copied that idea of using connectors and used the same gray color. Dont see any reasons for panic.

P.s. Land Rover company stealed Sheepo's MOC design :)

Edited by rm8

Well they look similar in the fact that they are both LBG in color, but when viewed side by side, this new one doesn't appear to use the same build techniques at Sheepo used other than the #3 connectors to get the Window angle.. I am certian that it was inspired by it, but it is obviously constructed in a smaller scale... I think if this new model were built in red(or some other color) that no one would even compare them..

LOL... There is only one sure-fire way to avoid this, and that is by not posting pictures of your models at all.... But of course you don't want to do that... :wink:

You just have to accept that situations like this are inevitable... I have people selling direct copies of my stuff all of the time... Not much there really is to do about it... To be honest, I don't even care anymore...

I wouldn't worry too much about this... For every similarity that you can find with it, you can also find something done much differently..

Edited by Paul Boratko

I don't have problem if someone made a copy or a based model(very similar but in smaller scale in this case), sometimes even I have helped people to make versions of my cars without problems, but I hate if someone sells instructions for a model directly based in my work.

Thanks for your comment Paul, very usefull, this is the first time that this happens to me.

Fortunately I have not sent still any message hahaha

Looking at the benefits of this, I have decided and now I've started to make instructions for my Defender

Looking at the benefits of this, I have decided and now I've started to make instructions for my Defender

Well, then at least something good came out of this! :sweet:

I for one will definately buy them, as the likelyhood of the Cusoo project being dumbed down by TLG if (when) it gets 10 000 votes!

Great news Sheepo! :grin:

Sheepo, your work is awesome. It sucks that this happens so often. I have built others models based on pictures only, but would never claim the work as my own. I don't even post pics without the consent of the designer ( right Paul? ). :) I wish others would respect the works of others in the same way. I do agree with Paul though. I think this work was "inspired" by you.

On a lighter note, I couldn't begin to copy your Land Rover, and eagerly await the instructions. Thanks for the hard work.

Mike

I'd be very happy if someone would copy my work some time. Not many designers are "victims" of that.

Selling is a different topic, but AFOLs know each others' names so the glory will eventually get to the real designers (quite fast), plus the money you can make by selling instructions (many designer don't even intend to do) is pretty small anyway.

Edited by Lipko

my Land Rover defender is absolutely not a copy of sheepo's Landrover.

it was only inspiration for me to build a Landrover Defender

i build it on a 9398 chassis as you can see on my website

http://jaaptechnic.blogspot.nl/2012/10/land-rover-defender-90-lego-challenge.html

no elements of sheepo's Landrover are copied to my landrover

i build it 100% by my self

The two models are completly differents ! It's a non-sense to compare them... They are just based on the same real car and look from the outside similar...Look at the frame to convince yourself how different they are

The two models are completly differents ! It's a non-sense to compare them... They are just based on the same real car and look from the outside similar...Look at the frame to convince yourself how different they are

yes, to make round shapes it is logical to use axle connectors...

The built and chassis size are different, though they are siblings...Good taste for all Land Rover fans!

The built and chassis size are different, though they are siblings...Good taste for all Land Rover fans!

I love land rovers.... I am going to make one... At some point...

LEGO Technic Team had no problem to remove 100% copies of models created by Designer Han from the challenge. It was enough to write a comment on that entry.

But they did not removed entries which were only similar (they left there entries which differ only by colors) so exact rule is not known.

In this case the front mask is completely the same looks very similar (after taking a closer look), engine hood is using different parts, mud guards are the same, door windows are similar or the same, side line using axles and not beams to make it look better is the same, roof was added, so it will be their decision.

Landrover is such specific and recognizable design that they will look all very similar. But I think that he may be built yours first and then rebuilt it. It is very low probability that he would use the same color scheme when starting from a scratch without being heavily inspired by your model.

And more over - he published his creation on 12th of October - only 12 days after publishing official rules. Creating it without inspiration would probably take longer. The small one is different but with high probability inspired by yours.

My landrover body was already finished. I just saw the competition on the inthernet and desided to build the 9398 chassis under it.

My landrover body was already finished. I just saw the competition on the inthernet and desided to build the 9398 chassis under it.

Do you have also pictures of that new version? Will you post it to TC2012 gallery? Because with that high chassis it will look probably much differently. There are already some entries which look like a Landrover.

Edited by hrontos

Do you have also pictures of that new version? Will you post it to TC2012 gallery? Because with that high chassis it will look probably much differently. There are already some entries which look like a Landrover.

Yes, it is on TC2012. For a very long time, it haves more than 215 votes!

You can find it here:

http://jaaptechnic.blogspot.nl/2012/10/land-rover-defender-90-lego-challenge.html?m=1

Or

http://technic.us.lego.com/en-us/Creations/Details/Default.aspx?projectid=46fd5532-8d37-4f2c-a962-30930f181824&sort=latest&index=1