Sign in to follow this  
jusutus

Improving the 8258 Crane Truck

Hello everyone,

I'm new on this forum and wanted to ask you guys a few tips for improving my Crane Truck.

I'm planning on adding a fifth axle on the rear, double wheels on the three rear axles and a scaffold.

I have pretty much figured out how to build the fifth axle, but where could I get eight wheels for my project? The size is 62.4x20. I've checked out the eBay and couldn't find any wheels for a decent price.

I live in Finland so the delivery cost are a bit of an issue if ordering overseas (like the USA).

Does someone have an idea how to adjust the height of the fifth axle? Like with a damper, similar to the solution on the front wheel of the 8480 Space Shuttle.

I will make it usable by hand - not by a motor or pneumatics.

I would also appreciate if someone knows where to get more of the large red panels on the 8258, next to the battery box. I'm planning to build the scaffold out of them.

Thanks for any info!

Regards

Jussi

Finland

Using Peeron.com , one can type in the set number (8258) and get the parts numbers you want (from http://peeron.com/inv/sets/8258-1 ):

#64782 -- Technic Panel 1 x 5 x 11

#85652 -- Wheel 62.4 x 20 S Type II with Short Axlehole

#32019 -- Tyre 62.4 x 20 S

Then, using Bricklink.com , you can type in the part numbers to find sellers worldwide that have the parts. There are virtual Bricklink stores in Germany that have what you want.

but where could I get eight wheels for my project?

If only someone had put in a lot of effort to create some sort of website to Link people to Bricks.. hey hang on a minute!

www.bricklink.com << if you dont know this is the most useful site on the net, possibly more useful that www.lego.com!!

The service is usually very good - just check the shops terms before you buy - some sellers add tax and fees ontop of listed prices. shipping to finland won't be a problem in most cases. there are probably sellers in Finland anyway! just create an account and you will get a little icon next to the sellers name indicating if he will ship to you.

Hubs:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID...&colorID=86

Tires:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID...&colorID=11

It is true that Lego make more rubber tires than any other company on the planet!

Edited by Parax

www.bricklink.com << if you dont know this is the most useful site on the net, possibly more useful that www.lego.com!!

It is extremely useful for me, much much more useful than lego.com

jusutus, if you want to add more exlusive look to the model, you can use these:

Metallic Wheels

I have 10 of them, and they are perfect!

Take a look at them in my old tractor truck:

Wheels on truck

Edited by Milan

There is someone who has a bunch of mods for this set. I will try and find them for you.

Thanks - I had already seen that and am going to add at least some of these in the future!

Thanks, this was a stranger to me! Looks like I'll be spending my next three hours browsing the parts I need...

jusutus, if you want to add more exlusive look to the model, you can use these:

Metallic Wheels

Looks nice, but I'm going to keep the "old" wheels since I'd have to purchase 16 of the metallic wheels - not too cheap, eh? :/

Looks nice, but I'm going to keep the "old" wheels since I'd have to purchase 16 of the metallic wheels - not too cheap, eh? :/

Well, according to your first post you would need only 10 of the metallic wheels...the rest of the wheels are not visible so they can be in grey :classic:

But, it will look great even without that new wheels :thumbup:

I agree that they are very expensive!

Looking forward to see your MODification!

Well, according to your first post you would need only 10 of the metallic wheels...the rest of the wheels are not visible so they can be in grey :classic:

True, but since I'm a bit of a perfectionist - all the wheels must look the same! icon_lol.gif

True, but since I'm a bit of a perfectionist - all the wheels must look the same! icon_lol.gif

So am I :tongue:

I am glad that we think in the same (and expensive :hmpf_bad: ) manner!

Good luck!

If you are really a perfectionist, you will notice that the 8258 wheels have a slightly shorter hub than the older version which looked almost identical, so you can really only use wheels from another 8258 set. :tongue:

I love Han's revisions, but for the dual rear axles, I think I like this one even better because it adds dual rear differentials as well.

Actually, if you really want to be a perfectionist and copy real vehicles, then Milan's sugjestion of useing standard grey wheels for the inside rear wheels are more like the real thing. Real trucks with dual rear wheels that have custom/chrome rims, never have matching inside wheels unless the wheel diameter has been changed. Since there not seen, it would be a waste of money. Some aftermarket wheels for dual rear wheeled trucks don't even have provisions of swapping them to the inside for tire rotation mantainence.