L@go

MOD: Lime Light

Hello, fellow Train Tech'ers!

Like many others, I got into Lego Trains after getting my hands on the Emerald Night. For me, it wasn't a case of getting back into Lego Trains, because I'd never owned one before that. But the EN really got it started, and now I have quite a collection of original sets and customs from Blokbricks and Antony Sava.

I've never been particularly interested in real-life trains, and as a consequence I don't know very much about trains and locomotives. For that reason I don't really feel comfortable with trying to design my own trains - yet - but I wanted another loco for my collection, so why not recreate the EN in another colour?

I'd seen black, blue and red versions, but wanted to do something different. So I checked BL for which colours that were available for the 2x4 curved slopes for the boiler, and landed on lime green. I knew it would probably look quite special, so I recoloured it in MLCad first, just to see what it'd look like, and then ordered the necessary bricks.

And that, my fellow Eurobrickers, is how this massive lime green locomotive ended up on my tracks.

Please have a look and tell me what you think :) - the result will probably divide opinion!

I've come up with a story about it as well. I'll tell you as I present the pictures.

5712797773_4955950bcc_z.jpg

Meet Roger the millionaire and his newly restored 4-6-2 locomotive!

It was on its way to becoming scrap metal when Roger decided he needed a project to sink his money into.

5713358620_198aa3fb6d_z.jpg

Roger spent a lot of cash on getting the big loco back in perfect condition.

It was originally dark green, but obviously needed a full respray during the restoration.

That's when the slightly eccentric millionaire came up with the idea to paint it lime green.

5713358308_d62f2cd42f_z.jpg

On the side of it, just ahead of the cab, there's room for a plaque with the locomotive's new name.

A dark green example of just this kind of loco is called 'Emerald Night', as you may be aware of,

but as this is not emerald green, Roger swapped 'Emerald' for 'Lime' and wanted something that rhymed with 'night'.

Behold: The Lime Light!

5713359430_d534c71642_z.jpg

Now, Roger's learning how to drive his newest aquisition by himself. He likes to get his hands dirty.

Might have to let go of that banknote, though.

5713359138_dcdd2a5931_z.jpg

With its new colour, it certainly won't be confused with any other old locomotive.

Whether it looks good or not is up for debate, but it's still a nice loco!

5712798759_0aca5149a2_z.jpg

And here's the MLCad version that I used to see how the final result would be.

Thanks for looking - there are a couple of extra shots in the Lime Light set in my Flickr folder, if you're interested!

Edited by L@go

Never posted in trains before, and what a great thing to post about.

A wonderfull idea to re-colour that train and it reminds me of the Flying Scotsman. How did you get all those lime pieces?!? *oh2*

May I ask if you have changed the design at all or just re-coloured it.

I love it!

Reminds me so much of the colour of Gordon the Engine from R W Awdry.

Now this is a bright engine 'L@go', the lime is a nice change though in real life it might not stay lime green while running ! :wink:

Excellent work again from you and Brick On ! :grin:

Haha! I thought maybe this would spark some 'controversy' in here, but most of you seem to like it :) - although I realize that some people probably regard doing something like this as mild sacrilege. After all, you just don't paint a classic steam locomotive bright lime green...

Interesting color for a train. Now what color are you doing the rest in?

I like your choice of words, 'interesting' is a very diplomatic way of putting it :) I wasn't really planning on building 'the rest', but I have to say that...

Nice work 'L@go'. Now lets see a bright pink coach default_tong.gif

...this is a very tempting idea! Look out for the candy train :D

Never posted in trains before, and what a great thing to post about.

A wonderfull idea to re-colour that train and it reminds me of the Flying Scotsman. How did you get all those lime pieces?!? *oh2*

May I ask if you have changed the design at all or just re-coloured it.

I've posted in here before, but never about anything I've built myself. For lime pieces, I've found that BrickLink is your friend :) - and no, I'm afraid the design is still the same. But what a great design it is!

You can see this locomotive also in the fog! :laugh:

Yep, that's a nice bi-effect...

Reminds me so much of the colour of Gordon the Engine from R W Awdry.

That's true, I didn't think of that! Although I think you mean Henry?

HenryTTTE1.jpg

Oh, fond childhood memories.

Actually - and that should probably be strange ;) - I really like it!

Me too. It looks fresh, in a way. Shocking, isn't it? :D

Now this is a bright engine 'L@go', the lime is a nice change though in real life it might not stay lime green while running ! :wink:

Oh, but you don't know Roger. He's very meticulous about his engine ;)

If you want an affordable option for recolouring the carriage have a look for Dark Purple train windows on Bricklink. Purple and lime green are complimentary colours so while it might be a bit unusual it should look OK.

If you want an affordable option for recolouring the carriage have a look for Dark Purple train windows on Bricklink. Purple and lime green are complimentary colours so while it might be a bit unusual it should look OK.

Dark purple and lime green is also used on a certain dinosaur in a child show. Maybe replace all the black parts with purple? Then the train would be real popular with toddlers and pre=schoolers

That's true, I didn't think of that! Although I think you mean Henry?

HenryTTTE1.jpg

Oh, fond childhood memories.

Thanks for correcting me. Although I remember the books I forget all the charactors... but yep - the green can work.

That's a very good idea. Might have to consider it!

A gorgeous abomination.

That, I believe, sums up what most of us are thinking :laugh:

Where did Roger get all of his money from in the first place? He should have invested in some nicer clothes to go with his new train :p

Really nice and certainly a non-traditional color for a locomotive. I've always liked LEGO's lime green, and over the past few years, there's only been a handful of MOCs with the color. It's great to see you successfully utilize lime green in your Emerald MOD and I think with black, the two colors contrast nicely.

Great color combination! :thumbup:

Now make it driven by a mad scientist, pulling a car full of zombies, and paced by witches. Add Frank N. Stein as the conductor and you have a unique holiday train!

That's commendably different.

Henry wasn't quite so day-glo- more leaf green (LNER colours- as worn by the Flying Scotsman).

Where did Roger get all of his money from in the first place? He should have invested in some nicer clothes to go with his new train :p

Obviously, he can't wear his best clothes when he's learning to drive and service a steam engine... :) As for where the money came from, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a wealthy father.

Well, you know in fact lime green was the original colour of the Emerald Night anyway, they just never cleaned it ;)