SMC

Lego Requests

Lego Requests  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lego stop making exclusive figures (SDCC)

2. 2. Should Lego bring back Classic Space

3. 3. Should Lego continue the LOTR line

4. 4. Should Lego bring back Vikings

5. 5. Should Lego cut ties with Shell

6. 6. Should Lego have a military theme

7. 7. Should Lego have more licensed CMFs

This is a topic where we can see how much support there is for a particular idea or request, made by us AFOL to the Lego group.

By the use of a poll where you have to vote on every idea (request) we can see what percent of us really care about each issue and how many of us really support an idea or not.

You can ask for a question to be added to the poll and when a number of people ask for the same thing a question will be added. You can also point me to a discussion already happening on eurobricks and I will add a question to the poll and a link to the topic. I want to keep it general so for example it is ok to ask for a Lego UCS Marvel set but not to ask for a X Mansion.

We can discuss the questions here (as not all question will have topics of their own) but only in a light way and the real discussions should take place in each individual topic which will be linked to on the bottom of this post.

The main discuss here should be about the questions (requests) that should be added and what the results tell us about how much AFOL care about each request and which ones the Lego group should take notice of.

As you have to answer all questions in a poll I have added "no strong opinion" please only support or not when you really care. If a new question is added and you have already voted then you will need to delete your vote and revote on all questions.

Please also leave feedback on the topic itself and how it could be improved or expanded

Thanks

SMC

- - - - - - - - - -

Lego topics in the poll

Comic-Con minifigures http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=68795

Upcoming Classic Space Reboot? http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=92937

Future LotR Sets? http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=78687

Would you like the Vikings theme to return? http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=92905

Should LEGO cut ties with Shell? http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=97291

Should LEGO make a Military Theme? http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63379

Edited by SMC

OK thanks for starting this, frankly, I don't have any strong opinions about the other 2 topics, but have voted to show my strong support against exclusives.

Thanks!

Classic Castle? Vikings? That are the ones I really want.

I will wait for a number of people to ask for the same thing before adding it to the poll, the ones I added already have there own topics on eurobricks but as there is a strong Viking topic already going I will add that one now

Edited by SMC

Or it is not an important cause to them. I think it is unwise to attack people over their position unless they are hurting others. While such exclusives run the risk of driving collectors from the hobby, no lives will be ruined. You might be able to change minds through polite dialog though.

I am still holding on the last shreds of hope for LEGO Lord of the Rings. It was what bright me back from my Dark Ages.

But if I cannot get more of those, I did eBay / Bricklink a bunch of Vikings. A new, more serious take on Vikings would be very appreciatef. Cartoony Castle such as 2013s is just clearance fodder for me.

Or it is not an important cause to them.

there is an option for that though.

they might think that if we don't get the fig at sdcc we wont get it at all

I don't think that "Lego should cut ties with Shell" has it's place here.

any reason why?

I personally wanted to reject the idea that they should cut ties

I think its interesting to see what people think

Classic Castle has to come back at some point :wink:

I don't think they should make a deal with shell if something goes wrong like a oil leak greenpeace will kill them :laugh:

I really support this idea, I am in this with you, now LEGO will hear us.

I answered the poll and maybe will do a letter, it is just that I am very busy but I will fo anything to support this

any reason why?

I agree with Bob here. It's interesting to see what people think, true, but there is already a topic where the link to Shell is debated at great length.

I agree with Bob here. It's interesting to see what people think, true, but there is already a topic where the link to Shell is debated at great length.

If there is a good reason I am more than happy to take it off, but there are topics for all the questions I have added so far and I have linked to them all in my first post. That is kind of the point that it is something that people are talking about already and this is an opportunity to see how many people really back an idea.

Edited by SMC

My reason is that's a completely different problem than sets line revival or exclusive sets availability.

If you want to give TLG feedbacks on which sets people wants to play with, discussing TLG's partnerships just blur the message.

this is an opportunity to see how many people really back an idea.

You're right. I think maybe the ingress of the topic threw me off a bit: "This is designed as a place where we can have a voice to the Lego group to tell them what it is we want." Made it feel like it's a place to voice and discuss issues - not only vote.

But I still feel the Shell-topic is a bit of an odd-bird here. It's more about TLG's policies and business and the risk is also that the there will become a second discussion here. Don't mean to squeeze you here, but just how I feel. :classic:

If there is a good reason I am more than happy to take it off, but there are topics for all the questions I have added so far and I have linked to them all in my first post. That is kind of the point that it is something that people are talking about already and this is an opportunity to see how many people really back an idea.

A better solution is having polls be available to all users so these threads are not made.

My reason is that's a completely different problem than sets line revival or exclusive sets availability.

If you want to give TLG feedbacks on which sets people wants to play with, discussing TLG's partnerships just blur the message.

I agree you could just have a topic like what theme would you like to return but that is not what this is, it just happens that it is a popular request. This is for any request that people want to make to lego and then people can support it like 'lego ideas' (it would work better as a website but hey I am trying it as a topic for now).

I think that Lego exclusives and Lego partnerships are related by how lego is viewed by fans and do they help or hurt the brand (not that there needs to be a relation to be added as a question on here).

You're right. I think maybe the ingress of the topic threw me off a bit: "This is designed as a place where we can have a voice to the Lego group to tell them what it is we want." Made it feel like it's a place to voice and discuss issues - not only vote.

But I still feel the Shell-topic is a bit of an odd-bird here. It's more about TLG's policies and business and the risk is also that the there will become a second discussion here. Don't mean to squeeze you here, but just how I feel. :classic:

I know it could be worded better not my strong suit and also this topic might need to evolve

I think this topic might be a bit of a odd duck itself as if you talk about the questions in too much detail you will be kind of off topic, that is why I added links to all the topics themselves.

I hoped the discussion here would be what request should be added to the poll and maybe the results and what they showed

A better solution is having polls be available to all users so these threads are not made.

But if you asked the quested like should LOTR continue in that topic everyone would say yes, this show how many of us afol really care and what tops the list of thing we want/care about

Edited by SMC

But if you asked the quested like should LOTR continue in that topic everyone would say yes, this show how many of us afol really care and what tops the list of thing we want/care about

Are you saying that if I made a singular thread, "Poll: Should LEGO continue to make LOTR themed sets after the movies are done?" people would only vote yes and the only setting where they would show their true opinion is in this thread?

I think a better approach for this thread is to follow threads with polling statistics and then create an analysis such that you could determine the most likely held opinions per user.

Since we are able to see who voted for what, we could come to some conclusions such as, "60% of those who want a return of classic space also want a return of Vikings themed sets."

Post similar assessments like the above here. That is WAY more interesting and provides a nice picture of the average user on this site. Get some Baye's Theorem and conditional probability up in here. I will be doing that when I have free time.

Edited by legoman19892

Are you saying that if I made a singular thread, "Poll: Should LEGO continue to make LOTR themed sets after the movies are done?" people would only vote yes and the only setting where they would show their true opinion is in this thread?

No I love a topic with a poll so I would hate this topic to be the only one where you would see one

My point was not many people will go to a LOTR topic just to vote on the poll to say they don't really care if it stays or goes and I am sure most people would vote for it to stay

And it is really just a bit of fun to be able to see what the hot topics are for us AFOL and for the Lego group to take note we will need really big numbers

and

I have updated my first post in the hope of making it clearer as to what the topic might look like

If as a mod you still want me to take the shell question off I will

Edited by SMC

I guess L@go, MstrOfPppts, Off the wall andAnio are fairly selfish not wanting the sdcc type figs to be available to everybody. :sad:

While I don't like the exclusives, personally, people who are "collectors" find value in things because of the rarity. I think TLG does a disservice to fans, but I understand the mentality behind it. At the same time, I am even annoyed at anything we don't all get an equal chance for... like Chrome Darth Vader. You could be the biggest SW fan and have multiples of every SW set released, and some kid who never even saw SW gets a gift from Grandma and gets lucky. Or Mr. Gold... I have multiples of every single other regular series collectible figure; I buy it by the box when they come out (and for me, not for resale, although I might trade a few here at EB, and give some away)... it's annoying that someone randomly gets lucky and finds one. At the same time, I realize why they do it... it certainly must increase sales.

Let's face it, if LEGO had a convention where I lived and I could get an Atlanta ... oh, I don't know... Dragon Con exclusive? I might not mind so much. But I will NEVER go to SDCC, nor will I likely ever have credentials to go to any kind of commercial toy fair that TLG would go to.

I guess ultimately I voted I didn't like it, but I understand why they do it, why some people are all for it (because they have much easier access), and I surely don't expect it to change. For what it's worth, all I ask is that the same characters be made available at some point... not the same exact figure, not the exclusive, but the same character in a more common version... so when it's a character I really want, I can get one... just not the exclusive one. That's generally good enough for me.

I have no problem with exclusives. One caveat. For example, if there is an established series, like modulars, where you have a clear series of modulars numbered in the usual ascending order like 10197, 10211 etc and they drop 10210 (number used for discussion purposes only) as a modular into the mix and make it only available in a certain geographic area, that's wrong. However, if they make a modular type building outside of the usual series, number it differently, don't call it a modular and it's exclusive, fine with me. Just don't number it and package it like its part of the widely available series. As a completist, that drives me nuts.

Of course, exclusive minifigs given their cost and large numbers probably are a totally different subject. Minifigs are not as expensive (not talking about the after market cost) or complex as a Star Wars or modular building set. And, if lego wants some PR at a specific event, what better way to do it than with some minifigs. Of course, once in production I guess it wouldn't be any big deal to make 25,000 rather than a few thousand and make them available to the general lego collecting population. If they do that once, and find themselves with thousands and thousands of homeless minifigs, then I guess it would be okay to abandon the experiment.

Shell? Seriously? It opens a whole can of worms when you want to start singling out individual companies. I'm sure we all could nominate a company, person or country that we think shouldn't be linked to lego.

I have no problem with exclusives. One caveat. For example, if there is an established series, like modulars, where you have a clear series of modulars numbered in the usual ascending order like 10197, 10211 etc and they drop 10210 (number used for discussion purposes only) as a modular into the mix and make it only available in a certain geographic area, that's wrong. However, if they make a modular type building outside of the usual series, number it differently, don't call it a modular and it's exclusive, fine with me. Just don't number it and package it like its part of the widely available series. As a completist, that drives me nuts.

Of course, exclusive minifigs given their cost and large numbers probably are a totally different subject. Minifigs are not as expensive (not talking about the after market cost) or complex as a Star Wars or modular building set. And, if lego wants some PR at a specific event, what better way to do it than with some minifigs. Of course, once in production I guess it wouldn't be any big deal to make 25,000 rather than a few thousand and make them available to the general lego collecting population. If they do that once, and find themselves with thousands and thousands of homeless minifigs, then I guess it would be okay to abandon the experiment.

Shell? Seriously? It opens a whole can of worms when you want to start singling out individual companies. I'm sure we all could nominate a company, person or country that we think shouldn't be linked to lego.

I don't get it. You call yourself a completist, yet you clearly vote for exclusive minifigs that are only available in a certain geographic area.

I'm collecting LotR and Hobbit minifigs for 2 years and now and with the announced SDCC Bard minifig, I realise that those 2 years were for the birds, because I'll not be able to afford this last minifig.

It doesn't matter for a real completist wether a set or a fig is consecutively numbered or not as long as it is part of a particular series that he or she is collecting.

I guess (...) are fairly selfish not wanting the sdcc type figs to be available to everybody. :sad:

Not cool, deskp. This should not be about naming and shaming.

I don't get it. You call yourself a completist, yet you clearly vote for exclusive minifigs that are only available in a certain geographic area.

I'm collecting LotR and Hobbit minifigs for 2 years and now and with the announced SDCC Bard minifig, I realise that those 2 years were for the birds, because I'll not be able to afford this last minifig.

It doesn't matter for a real completist wether a set or a fig is consecutively numbered or not as long as it is part of a particular series that he or she is collecting.

Well, good luck with it. While being a completist, I guess maybe I'm just not that into it.

Edited by Off the wall