Sign in to follow this  
Darth Legolas

Black Friday 2009 discussion thread

I was just looking online at some Black Friday ads; Target is having the Troll Warship and Temple of the Crystal Skull on sale for $49.99 on black friday.
That's nothing - they were on clearance for 50% in July/August! That's how I got my Crystal Skull set for $40 USD. :sweet:

Has anybody actually been to Target on Black Friday? How long does it take to sell out of the Lego sets?

I'm wondering that if I go around 7 AM if there will still be any left...They don't seem like they are too popular sets to begin with, especially the Indy one.

Thanks!

-darthperson

Has anybody actually been to Target on Black Friday? How long does it take to sell out of the Lego sets?

I'm wondering that if I go around 7 AM if there will still be any left...They don't seem like they are too popular sets to begin with, especially the Indy one.

Thanks!

-darthperson

I went in 2006 around 9 AM and the store was completely normal.If i remember right all the legos were still there.

I went in 2006 around 9 AM and the store was completely normal.If i remember right all the legos were still there.

Last year all three Targets in my area ran out of Imperial Star Destroyers within minutes. Also, the lines took about 45 minutes to get through.

This year's black friday sale at toysrus has only 3 lego sets :sadnew:

TRU is having sales starting both friday and saturday

Here they are

Lego Agents Mobile Command Center - $53.99 (Friday and Saturday)

Lego Indiana Jones Temple Escape - $42.99 (Friday and Saturday)

Lego Star Wars The Twilight - $59.99 * (Midnight to 1PM Friday only)

The only thing I might get is the mobile command center.

*Means doorbuster

Let's get this discussion rolling, Black Friday is coming up.

This is what I know so far:

KMART: Buy 2 get 1 free (of equal or lesser value)

My opinion: KMART has few stores and their selection will be a huge wild card. I expect some KMARTs to have a decent selection while most will be disappointing.

I will visit my local KMART as part of my last store visit (I am visiting several stores on Black Friday) but won't expect much. I expect very few people to be there in the morning as people have far better places to be.

TARGET: Troll Warship and Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for $50.00 each

My opinion: Seems like Target is dumping the unpopular sets on Black Friday. Neither of these sets impress me. The savings are decent but not large enough for me to buy bad sets. For last year's Black Friday I went to Target on my last stop and picked up the Imperial Destroyer for $60, an awesome deal for a great set. This year Target is a big let down.

TOYSRUS: Agents Mobile Command Center for $53.99 (Friday and Saturday), Indiana Jones Temple Escape for $42.99 (Friday and Saturday), and Twilight for $59.99 (Midnight to 1PM, Friday only)

My opinion: The Twilight was a poor selling set, which caused Lego to lower the set's price on Lego.com in the past. At $59.99 the deal is definitely not a doorbuster; this is a bad deal. The Temple Escape is not a set I like and the savings comes down to about $17 dollars--I will pass. It's not an awful deal but it's also not impressive. The Command Center I am willing to buy at $54.00. I am going to ToysRUs specifically for the command center. In my opinion this is the best Black Friday Lego set deal for 2009.

LEGO STORE: Random scratch card with varying savings. 10% 20% or 50% off. Or $10 $100 or $500 off.

My opinion: The overwhelming majority of scratch cards will most likely be 10% off. Do not go to the Lego Store expecting to get the $100, $500, or 50% off card. The Lego Store's Black Friday sale is very weak as expected. As someone mentioned, if you want a risk-free shot at the scratch card, buy an item and get your scratch card. If the savings is pitiful (10%), then later return your purchase. I will visit my local Lego Store and ask for additional details in a couple days.

OLD NAVY: Lego Rockband video game with $20.00 purchase

My opinion: I'm very suspicious about this deal. If they are giving away the real Lego Rockband for PS3, XBOX, or Wii then this is a very good deal. What I and others are wondering is if they are giving away a demo rather than the full version. Also, what console version are they giving out? There is Lego Rockband for the Wii, XBOX, PS3, and DS. The text in the ad is very brief and general. For now, I plan on checking out Old Navy unless I hear that the copy is in fact a demo.

UPDATE: AFTER CALLING OLD NAVY IT IS CONFIRMED TO BE A DEMO, NOT THE REAL GAME!!

WALMART: BLACK FRIDAY DEALS UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME

My Black Friday will begin at 9:45 PM Thursday and go until 8AM Friday. My first visit requires an hour drive :sick:. What are your plans?

Let's keep the discussion alive and please share any Lego news you have.

Edited by FiletOFish

TARGET: Troll Warship and Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for $50.00 each

My opinion: Seems like Target is dumping the unpopular sets on Black Friday. Neither of these sets impress me. The savings are decent but not large enough for me to buy bad sets. For last year's Black Friday I went to Target on my last stop and picked up the Imperial Destroyer for $60, an awesome deal for a great set. This year Target is a big let down.

What time were you at Target last year? How many ISD's they have left? I'm probably going to get to Target around 7 AM-ish and I am hoping they will have the two sets still in stock. The fact that they weren't too popular to begin with is raising my hopes, but at the same time, I am wary...

What time were you at Target last year? How many ISD's they have left? I'm probably going to get to Target around 7 AM-ish and I am hoping they will have the two sets still in stock. The fact that they weren't too popular to begin with is raising my hopes, but at the same time, I am wary...

If you get to Target at 7AM then there is a good chance the sets will be gone. Last year I was at my local Target around 4 something. I was about the 50th person in line and was able to snag the Imperial Destroyer. By the time I got to the set, 2 of the Destroyers were already gone (my Target had 5).

If your Target has inventory in the back and later fills the shelves after the initial wave of early bird customers then you may be still be able to grab the sets at 7 AM. Also, those sets aren't too popular so maybe the first wave will overlook the sets. Good luck though.

UPDATE: I CALLED OLD NAVY AND THE GAME IS A DEMO, NOT THE REAL THING. IT IS NOW CONFIRMED!

Well goody, now I don't feel so bad about missing on the ON sale, since I don't have a 4th gen console.

Looking forward to TRU Target and especially Walmart.

As soon as we know what it is. -.-

[-TA-]

I was at a Target at 6am last year and the ISD was selling out quickly but they had lots of stock. When I went later in the afternoon they actually still had them since the crowds were gone. I picked up two of them and was gonna get two more but did not want to get greedy.

This year I will only pick up the Rig at TRU. What is the lego price for that any one know?

If you get to Target at 7AM then there is a good chance the sets will be gone. Last year I was at my local Target around 4 something. I was about the 50th person in line and was able to snag the Imperial Destroyer. By the time I got to the set, 2 of the Destroyers were already gone (my Target had 5).

They only had 5?!?! Wow! My Target had stacks of like hundreds of them last year... So if they have as many this year, I think I will be fine.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live?

The Agents Mobile Command Center for $53.99 at TRU is a fantastic deal, considering the set has been discontinued for nearly a year and is currently fetching $150-$180 on eBay. Of course this sale will drop that price, but it won't be widely rereleased, so the value is sure to climb back up. I'm definitely in for a few, and it's really cool how they open at midnight this year! I hope that will help ease the massive crowds.

I just saw the Wal-Mart ad, and there is unfortunately no Lego to be found. :cry_sad:

There is a laptop I have my eye on though... :classic:

-darthperson

I think the best route for LEGO deals is to check out your local Kmart a few days in advance, and then hit it early and get 3 big ticket items so one is free. Like 3 endor sets.

I just saw the Wal-Mart ad, and there is unfortunately no Lego to be found. :cry_sad:

There is a laptop I have my eye on though... :classic:

-darthperson

Yeah no sale on LEGO at Wal-Mart this year.

Here is the link.

Kinda sucks I was hoping for a good deal this year, last year I picked up three King Castle Sieges for $150 which was awesome.

Guess Ill be at Target this year.

I think the best route for LEGO deals is to check out your local Kmart a few days in advance, and then hit it early and get 3 big ticket items so one is free. Like 3 endor sets.

I just came back from my local KMART 20 mins ago. I went to see what their selection was like for the first time. It was pretty disappointing. I will not be hitting KMART on Black Friday after today's visit.

So yea, definitely take a look in advance like Big Cam said so that you don't waste a trip on Black Friday.

So yea, definitely take a look in advance like Big Cam said so that you don't waste a trip on Black Friday.

They might stock some if they are having a sale like that... :hmpf:

You know, the stores get items to sell specifically on Black Friday its not just whatever they normally have on the shelves...

They might stock some if they are having a sale like that... :hmpf:

You know, the stores get items to sell specifically on Black Friday its not just whatever they normally have on the shelves...

What's up with the condescending tone? I'm just relaying info from my own speculation AND actual trip. There were ZERO big-set items at my KMART. No Endor, no Venator, no Titanium rig, no underground mining station--basically, they had no set there that was over $60 dollars. And no, they weren't there because people picked it up--the bar codes/tags weren't even on the shelf (meaning they don't carry it). So ya, they're gonna go from completely desolate to booming on Black Friday right? Probably not. In addition, my local KMART's Lego selection is not even 1 aisle long--something I wouldn't have found out if I didn't go. So ya, me recommending others to go check out their local KMART was really stupid of me huh? Sarcasm..

I would agree with your last sentence if they were having an item-specific promotion like most stores but they are doing a buy 2 get 1 free deal, meaning that their current selection can clue you in on what's going to be available on BF (except in larger quantities, not larger selection on BF).

So, I repeat what I and Big Cam said earlier: Check out your local store beforehand.

So I'm hunting for a Death Star. Since no one in the world has a kind heart, the last resort I am going to use is Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving in the U.S., for all who don't know.

i don't think black friday will have a sale on that though. Maybe lego shop will have something like 10% off any purchase or something like that. Good luck in hunting, but hope this helps. Walmart.com is having the death star for $370 at the moment.

i don't think black friday will have a sale on that though. Maybe lego shop will have something like 10% off any purchase or something like that. Good luck in hunting, but hope this helps. Walmart.com is having the death star for $370 at the moment.
If you look at Darth Legolas' signature, you will see that he already has a Death Star. :wink:

Has anyone noticed if their local Target has been stocking up on the two sets that are going to be on sale?

Thanks for the answers and new in this thread! :wink: Thanks to all of your discussions and chit chat, I have firmed up plans for a large expedition to the Lego store to get a gigantic purchase including a Death Star, a few Winter Toy shops, some Star Wars and maybe some Atlantis.

Once again, thanks for the help, and good luck with your shopping!

I have firmed up plans for a large expedition to the Lego store to get a gigantic purchase including a Death Star, a few Winter Toy shops, some Star Wars and maybe some Atlantis.

Good luck in scratching a 50% off purchase. But the minmum you'll save will still be 10% off though at the lego stores.

Sign in to follow this