Hey guys, I have an update on the data loss I experienced recently. I have lost all my youtube video file archives, several important frames for my upcoming stop-motion animation, all documents of my book I’ve been working on, all videos for a Technic set review, a lot of pictures, and countless more.

The bad news being said, I do have some good news (though not outweighing the bad). I am at a fork in the road considering my LEGO collection, and I really need your advice!

The 45560 Lego® Mindstorms® Ev3 Expansion Set comes with 853 pieces (i.e. beams, pins, wheels and tires, gears and steering racks, panels, speciality parts).

As for the other option, for $96 I can get two IR Receivers (V1), two XL Motors, one PF IR Remote-Control, and onePF Servo Motor. The spare parts included are as follows: four 3 Snap Gearbloks (Element ID: 4610378 / Design ID: 92909), two Cardan Cups with Cross Axle 2M (Element ID: 4610374 / Design ID: 92906), two 16z Gears (Element ID: 4640536 / Design ID: 94925), and six Slide Shoe Round 2×2 (Element ID: 4278412 / Design ID: 54196).

Share your experiences, has anything similar ever happened to you guys? Also, which do you suggest I get? Thank you!

Hi, I think the best option would be to buy some parts on BL and some parts the PF on S@H. Unless that is what you are planning.

Edited by NXT45

Hi, I think the best option would be to buy some parts on BL and some parts the PF on S@H. Unless that is what you are planning.

Thanks NXT45 for the feedback! I just checked out BrickLink and they do have lower prices on the spare parts I'm getting, but then I wouldn't qualify for free shipping on S@H.

The expansion set is an excellent source of parts. I've sang it's praises before for offering great value. If the goal is to grow your collection of parts, go with this option.

For PF components, one of the cheapest way to obtains them is through flagship models. The 9398 Crawler and now the Volvo come with with a pretty good assortment to get started. You can pick up an extra XL motor or two for peanuts after. The flagship models also have a pretty good amount of parts.

The PF components can become a bit of a rabbit hole. You start with two motors, then you want one for each wheel, then you want to build a Tatra with eight or ten motors, each powering a wheel. Battery boxes, switches, LEDs and remotes follow. Then you realize that RC motors are what you truly wanted and the cycle begins again.

On a limited budget, I'd opt for parts over PF. They will give you more options in the long run.

Sorry about your data loss.. I work in IT.. and I've kinda had a saying that's held true, for a couple of decades:

Everyone always has one big data loss... if you haven't yet... then you will... and (hopefully), you'll never have one again.. as you'll take precautions, and you will very much learn what is worth backing up, - what is hard to replace, and what can be replaced easily.

Hope you've looked into multiple points of storage by now! USB HDD... Online cloud! Best advice is keep your eggs in lots of baskets, and ensure they get updated frequently!

As for Lego parts.. I guess it depends how big your current collection is, and how many of your parts are tied up in MOC's at any one time, or sets sitting on shelves, gathering dust

I've just slowly kept an eye out on bulk sets, or ones with useful parts over the years, to the point where I have enough to build pretty much anything..

My PF gear started with the 8275 RC Dozer, but I've probably added 1-2 PF sets per year since..

Thank you everyone for your feedback! I felt that I should tell you guys what my LEGO collection is composed of (to get a better idea). Here's what I've bought over the last two years:

• (1x) 31313 Lego® Mindstorms® Ev3 set
  • (1x) 42000 Lego® Technic Grand Prix Racer
  • (2x) 42026 Lego® Technic Black Champion Racer
  • (1x) 42020 Lego® Technic Single-Rotor Helicopter
  • (1x) 8065 Lego® Technic Mini Container Truck
  • + a fair amount of spare parts