Jump to content


Kaliphlian fishing boat


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gabe

Gabe

  • Green capital G


    Posts: 1349
    Joined: 21-July 10
    Member: 12135
    Country: Australia

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Fishing is an important livlihood around the coastal areas of Kaliphlin, at both a subsinstance and a commercial level. Outriggers like this one are very common for fishing and pleasure cruising in Peregrinus - many families either own or have access to such a boat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like our crew have a decent catch already! :classic:

This build was pretty much constucted around a technique that i saw a while ago on Malte Dorowski's MOCpages homepage, where he used lots of clips and flex tubing to create subtle curves on his Porche models. I was messing about with ways to construct small boats at the time and thought i'd give it a try. I chose the traditional Sri Lankan outrigger as my departure point as i love their elegant design and i thought they'd fit right into the Kaliphlian fleet!  :wink:

I originally wanted to have a forced perspective view of Audax Arazi (the island off the east coast of Peregrinus) in the distance, but for one reason or another it didn't quite come together and i scrapped it. I might go back and have another go at it, perhaps after Brickvention (which is only 2 weeks away now - argh, better get my display finished!).


Thanks for looking peeps!  :classic:
~
Erudhalion Sansael for Kaliphlin! Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#2 MikeyB

MikeyB

  • Closet Nocturnus Fan


    Posts: 845
    Joined: 15-October 08
    Member: 4147
    Country: USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Love the look of the water.  Looks like some rough seas and big swells!  How did you make your sail?  Did you weather it or is it a patterned material?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


Lord Arlindus, Captain of Circardia and the Phoenix Guard, Avalonia Guildsman


#3 Damaximus

Damaximus

  • Hippy kicker


    Posts: 2035
    Joined: 30-November 11
    Member: 22634
    Country: Flanders

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

Stunning!!!

Lord Damaximus of Mpya Stedor, loyal to the guild of KALIPHLIN!
Also sometimes Lord Max Samu of Everlast, Head of the I.A.M.S., a secret service of KALIPHLIN!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/76053512@N04/


#4 Gabe

Gabe

  • Green capital G


    Posts: 1349
    Joined: 21-July 10
    Member: 12135
    Country: Australia

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostMikeyB, on 05 January 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

Love the look of the water.  Looks like some rough seas and big swells!  How did you make your sail?  Did you weather it or is it a patterned material?

Yes, the deep water off the east coast of Peregrinus has the best fishing grounds, but the weather can certainly be unpredictable!  :wink:
Ah, the sail - well, i had a bit of a struggle with it, tbh and the battered look it has pretty much reflects that. :laugh: I've heard of ppl dyeing thier sail cloth with black coffee, but i only drink tea so initially i tried that. I left it soaking for half an hour but it didn't do much, so i decided instead to coat the sail in diluted PVA glue and then paint it with a wash of acrylic paint (burnt umber, to be precise). The PVA bit went very well, i left it to dry over my fitness ball, which meant it dried in a "billowing" shape, and the stripes on the sail were from the impression on the ball as well. But the wash was less successful as the PVA coverage was a bit uneven, which led to the paint blotching on the areas with less PVA. So i spent quite a bit of time trying to rinse out the worst of the blotching and then tone it down further with a coat of white acrylic paint. :hmpf: (Maybe i'll just ask my housemate for some of his coffee next time i try this!)


View PostDaMaximus, on 05 January 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Stunning!!!

Thanks fellow guildsman!  :classic:
Erudhalion Sansael for Kaliphlin! Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#5 TenorPenny

TenorPenny

  • MicroPIRATE


    Posts: 746
    Joined: 31-January 09
    Member: 5175

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

The boat itself is gorgeous. The diorama is just icing and a cherry on top. Nicely done.

#6 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

  • Constellation Encyclopedia


    Posts: 1013
    Joined: 27-December 10
    Member: 14945
    Country: Califlin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:38 PM

Wow! This is fabulous. I certainly didn't expect something this cool when I clicked on a 'fishing boat' post.  The design of the boat is great and I really like the masts and sail. But what puts it over the top are the awesome waves!  Having built a sand dune recently for an MOC, I appreciate how much work and how many bricks those waves take.  That's a seriously large number of medium-blue slopes!  BTW, it may not have been easy, but I think the sail turned out very well.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture showing a close-up of the boat's main hull?  I can't really see all the details of the construction in any of the shots. Maybe it's just my aging eyes... There's a closeup of the outrigger in one shot, but the main hull is a bit of out-of-focus in that one.
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#7 Skalldyr

Skalldyr

  • Don't worry, be a Redcoat!


    Posts: 1134
    Joined: 16-March 10
    Member: 9943
    Country: Germany

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Nice! Besides the well-built boat, I like the waves very much! No wait, I love them!  :wub:
Flickr / Brickshelf / Mocpages

Posted Image  Don't Worry, Be Crabby! Posted Image

#8 Legonardo

Legonardo

  • Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back


    Posts: 2240
    Joined: 04-December 11
    Member: 22773
    Country: Middle Zealand

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

Awesome creation, everything about it is perfect :wub:

#9 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

  • Historica's Fortune Teller


    Posts: 1928
    Joined: 04-May 06
    Member: 759
    Country: USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hmmm, well now I just want to scrap the boat I have been working on out of shame, this is fantastic!

I love the feel of this vessel and the waves are excellent. Great job! The sea monster is funny too. I don't think I have ever seen that many blue slopes in one place...

One question, and it really doesn't matter as this is a good looking boat, but do catamarans normally have two masts? Yours looks awesome, and even if they don't of course this could be specifically Kaliphlin in style, I was wondering from a historic perspective, as I don't remember the answer myself.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."


Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#10 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

  • Constellation Encyclopedia


    Posts: 1013
    Joined: 27-December 10
    Member: 14945
    Country: Califlin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostSkaForHire, on 05 January 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

One question, and it really doesn't matter as this is a good looking boat, but do catamarans normally have two masts? Yours looks awesome, and even if they don't of course this could be specifically Kaliphlin in style, I was wondering from a historic perspective, as I don't remember the answer myself.
The outrigger and the double mast go very well together -- it's mostly a Pacific-islanders style.  Search on "outrigger sailing canoe", and you'll see tons of examples.

Examples:
Posted Image

Posted Image
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#11 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

    Posts: 564
    Joined: 27-January 11
    Member: 15677
    Country: UK

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

Very nice moc, love the shape of the boat and the choppy sea is great! Bravo  :thumbup:
Please check out my Flickr and MOCpages.
Kcaj Nosnikta of the Kaliphlin Guild

#12 Imperial Technology

Imperial Technology

    Posts: 12
    Joined: 05-January 12
    Member: 23839

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Amazing catamaran! And the stormy sea is beautiful, too. It is a very great Moc.

#13 de Gothia

de Gothia

  • Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.


    Posts: 1850
    Joined: 25-May 11
    Member: 18035
    Country: Sweden

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Those waves are really great!! It really looks like the fishermen have to fight for their life to catch those fishes! The boat is also very well done! Love the net hanging between the boats!

de Gothia of Avalonia



My Flickr


#14 Niku

Niku

  • Wants two initials


    Posts: 1469
    Joined: 26-December 10
    Member: 14912
    Country: Guatemala

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

It has great motion on the sea, magnificent technic used, good choose of colors and interesting design on the boat.
Just have to ask where is Kevin Costner?  :tongue:

Posted Image


Spoiler


#15 Khorne

Khorne

  • I will not torment the emotionally frail - Nevermind


    Posts: 2641
    Joined: 27-March 05
    Member: 284
    Country: Flanders

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

Amazing MOC! The boat itself is top-notch, but the added aspects certainly add to its grandour. There's a great sense of motion going in this scene, well captured :thumbup: . As I noted in your flickr photostream, I really like the use of the microfig on the prow. Reminds me of some token to invoke the blessing of the gods.

flickr | brickshelf | Holmgang Wiki


Playing as Eric in Heroica RPG
Posted Image


#16 Jakon

Jakon

    Posts: 230
    Joined: 24-December 11
    Member: 23492
    Country: USA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Very good MOC, it captures the kaliphlin style greatly :) the stingray guy cracked me up
Lord Jakon Rytight
Leader of the Iron Rangers, Frost Berserker
Founder of the Frozen Peaks Trading company
Posted Image

#17 robuko

robuko

  • Robuko Innovation Kaliphlin


    Posts: 1349
    Joined: 10-December 08
    Member: 4643
    Country: Hong Kong

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Wow! Those waves are spectacular, and the way the hulls fit into them is mind-boggling.  Love the sail too.  The one thing I think would make this even more amazing would be to have some spray coming from the prow and some ripples at the stern, she looks to be under full sail.  I hope the fleet never catches sharkmen by mistake!

Amazing.  :wub:

:classic:
Duc LeStrange, Special Envoy of the Petraea General Trading Company, of the Kaliphlin Guild.  
We work for Peace and Prosperity through Commerce.
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Gabe

Gabe

  • Green capital G


    Posts: 1349
    Joined: 21-July 10
    Member: 12135
    Country: Australia

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:27 AM

Wow, i didn't expect so many lovely comments so quickly! Thankyou everyone, i'm glad that you like my little tempest-tost boat.  :blush:

View PostNiceMarmot, on 05 January 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Wow! This is fabulous. I certainly didn't expect something this cool when I clicked on a 'fishing boat' post.  The design of the boat is great and I really like the masts and sail. But what puts it over the top are the awesome waves!  Having built a sand dune recently for an MOC, I appreciate how much work and how many bricks those waves take.  That's a seriously large number of medium-blue slopes!  BTW, it may not have been easy, but I think the sail turned out very well.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture showing a close-up of the boat's main hull?  I can't really see all the details of the construction in any of the shots. Maybe it's just my aging eyes... There's a closeup of the outrigger in one shot, but the main hull is a bit of out-of-focus in that one.

Heh, yeah, it is a serious amount of blue slopes, it's true! I did a proof of concept design for a wave in the middle of last year and it turned out very well, so i went and bought a heap of second hand blue bricks with the intention of doing a scene like this. This is the first time i've cracked them all out and i have to say, i'm rather pleased with the result! Although the coverage of the bricks never go as far as you want them to... i would have thought i'd have enough for 3 baseplates coverage at least, but i was running out of certain slopes already by the time i was done here. Back to BL before i do a really big ocean scene i guess...  :sceptic:

Here is the best pic of the main hull that i have atm - the waves do hide quite a bit of it unfortunately. but it does give you an idea of the V-shaped structure of it and how the cuved bow is achieved. I'll prob be taking this apart soon for my main BV display, but i'll take some more pics of the boat on it's own before i do.  :classic:

Posted Image


View PostSkaForHire, on 05 January 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Hmmm, well now I just want to scrap the boat I have been working on out of shame, this is fantastic!

I love the feel of this vessel and the waves are excellent. Great job! The sea monster is funny too. I don't think I have ever seen that many blue slopes in one place...

One question, and it really doesn't matter as this is a good looking boat, but do catamarans normally have two masts? Yours looks awesome, and even if they don't of course this could be specifically Kaliphlin in style, I was wondering from a historic perspective, as I don't remember the answer myself.

Nooo, don't scrap your boat, Kaliphlin needs more boats! Also i love seeing everyone's different boat designs, especially with respect to sails and rigging etc.  :sweet:

As NM says, many traditional outriggers have twin masts. I based mine on traditional Sri Lankan fishing vessels and they have this particular mast/sail configuration.  :classic:

View Postde Gothia, on 05 January 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Those waves are really great!! It really looks like the fishermen have to fight for their life to catch those fishes! The boat is also very well done! Love the net hanging between the boats!

Thanks, i think my favourite part is the net trampoline hanging between the 2 hulls - great to see it getting some love!  :blush:

View PostNiku, on 05 January 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

It has great motion on the sea, magnificent technic used, good choose of colors and interesting design on the boat.
Just have to ask where is Kevin Costner?  :tongue:

Ahaha, all Peregrinian fishermen have Lord Sansael's express authority to spear the bugger for crimes against cinema, should he be so encountered!  :wink:

View PostKhorne, on 05 January 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Amazing MOC! The boat itself is top-notch, but the added aspects certainly add to its grandour. There's a great sense of motion going in this scene, well captured :thumbup: . As I noted in your flickr photostream, I really like the use of the microfig on the prow. Reminds me of some token to invoke the blessing of the gods.

Thanks Khorne, i did have a similar thing in mind. We have a huge Mazu statue here in Melbourne (on the Maribyrnong river) , so i thought that i would like to build some similar sea deity shrine for Peregrinus as well - it would make sense that seafarers would carry a small carven image of thier protector before them to guide them safely home again.

View Postrobuko, on 06 January 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

Wow! Those waves are spectacular, and the way the hulls fit into them is mind-boggling.  Love the sail too.  The one thing I think would make this even more amazing would be to have some spray coming from the prow and some ripples at the stern, she looks to be under full sail.  I hope the fleet never catches sharkmen by mistake!

Amazing.  :wub:

:classic:

Thanks robuko! Fitting the boat to the waves was the hardest/most frustrating part i think. The number of times the trampoline fell apart as i removed the boat to tinker underneath it to get a better fit!  :hmpf: I did think a bit about adding more spray btw, but it didn't seem quite right as the boat is in the trough and generally you'd get the most visible spray when cresting a wave. I agree that some ripples at the stern might have been a nice addition though. :thumbup:

To me the Atlantis creatures are like the pixies of the ocean - seldom seen and quite often mischieveous without outright hostility. They might tangle the lines and nets of the fishermen for a laugh, but they would never allow themselves to be caught!  :wink:
Erudhalion Sansael for Kaliphlin! Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#19 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

  • SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!


    Posts: 2971
    Joined: 13-March 11
    Member: 16567
    Country: ▒♠▒

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:02 AM

You ser, never cease to amaze me.

I'm not sure what more I could possibly say that hasn't be said.

Bravo.
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


#20 Gabe

Gabe

  • Green capital G


    Posts: 1349
    Joined: 21-July 10
    Member: 12135
    Country: Australia

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostSI-mocs, on 06 January 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

You ser, never cease to amaze me.

I'm not sure what more I could possibly say that hasn't be said.

Bravo.

Aw shucks, thankyou, o great guild leader! :wub: Now that i've got this little boat out of the way, i was thinking about going to the other extreme and building a warship... (After BV and my embassy build of course) I haven't yet built a large ship worthy of the name and the challenge is irresistable!  :devil:

Edited by gabe, 06 January 2012 - 12:12 PM.

Erudhalion Sansael for Kaliphlin! Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users