Bering

Import bricks from existing Lego sets into LDD

Hello all,

A question. Is it possible to import bricks from a certain Lego set into LDD? I mean, i have the 5891 house for example and want to make a MOC out of it. I could use the partnumber from Brickset or Bricklink for example, but that is gonna take a while... Is it possible to upload all the bricks at once to LDD? I hope my question is clear enough. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

A quick way to do this would be by using LDD's brick palette feature.

First, have a look for the set you want to MOC from in the Official LEGO Sets made in LDD thread. Then take a look at step 1 in this thread to find out where to place the downloaded LXF. Next time LDD is started, the LXF should be available as a custom brick palette.

This is a pretty nifty and time-saving feature. Have fun!

A quick way to do this would be by using LDD's brick palette feature.

First, have a look for the set you want to MOC from in the Official LEGO Sets made in LDD thread. Then take a look at step 1 in this thread to find out where to place the downloaded LXF. Next time LDD is started, the LXF should be available as a custom brick palette.

This is a pretty nifty and time-saving feature. Have fun!

Thanks for your reply Gnac. I found the LDD file in the topic about Lego 5891. I have LDD Manager installed and imported the 5891 LDD File. It shows all the bricks. However... i can't paste the file into the generate LXF window. How do i do that?

Thanks for your reply Gnac. I found the LDD file in the topic about Lego 5891. I have LDD Manager installed and imported the 5891 LDD File. It shows all the bricks. However... i can't paste the file into the generate LXF window. How do i do that?

In the link that Gnac posted, it says a few rows down (in Step 2): "NOTE: If you use an existent LXF-file, then skip to Step 4.". This means that you don't need to use LDD Manager if you already have a LXF/LDD file. Instead you can just put in the designated folder.

In the link that Gnac posted, it says a few rows down (in Step 2): "NOTE: If you use an existent LXF-file, then skip to Step 4.". This means that you don't need to use LDD Manager if you already have a LXF/LDD file. Instead you can just put in the designated folder.

Thanks Superkalle, my English is not perfect. However, if i load the 5891 LDD file into LDD and save it as LXF file and put it in the userpalettes folder nothing happens. When i restart LDD my normal palettes display is there. What am i missing?

Ok, i finally found out how to get the custom Palette windows. But when i load the 5891 LDD, how do i get the stacked window view as posted by step 4? When i click on sort by boxes nothing happens...

The stacked window is only something generated by LDD Manager as a means to visualize the bricks in a LXF. It is not a feature of LDD.

If you read the manual of LDD Manager, it should tell you how to create such generated and stacked LXF.

The stacked window is only something generated by LDD Manager as a means to visualize the bricks in a LXF. It is not a feature of LDD.

If you read the manual of LDD Manager, it should tell you how to create such generated and stacked LXF.

But in an older post you told me to skip step 3 regarding the LDD manager. Now i am confused. Maybe if i explain it more clear. For example, i would like to see a stacked view of bricks in LDD from for example the 5891 house. So if i use the LDD file of the complete 5891 house i want it to be shown as stacked bricks. (as in step 4 in LDD manager).

I hope you are willing to explain it more clear to me.

Well, in that case, you need to first import the 5891 LXF-file into LDD Manager, and then use the function to generate an LXF from it from the "Spread out parts" feature (in the Import dialogue). That should give you the stacked brick version. An other solution would be to use the File > Export BOM in LDD and then extract the three columns Part, ColorCode and Quantity and copy&paste them into the GenerateLXF-function in LDD Manager.

A third method to get the stacked version is to copy&paste the Bill of Material from BrickLink. The instructions for this are all in the LDD manager help file. This last method for example is necessary if noone has made a LXF-file of a set.

I noticed however when I download the 5891 now that the version from "ashir" doesn't work. And the other one from "Johnnhiszippy3" needed to be open in LDD and then re-saved since one brick is no longer in LDD (86209 has been replaced by 60601).

Anyway, I helped you this time, so please find attached two files :classic:

5891_-_apple_tree_house2.lxf

5891_-_apple_tree_house2_stacked.lxf

Superkalle, many many thanks for your detailed explanation and patience. It's all clear now and thanks for the complete LDD file of 5891. This is what i wanted. :classic: