Sign in to follow this  
ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Mountain Village

This my latest MOC, the islander's Mountain Village. I know I could have given it a creative name, but I don't want to :-)

First, an introductory story: These islanders have made their home inexplicably upon the rough mountain terrain instead of the lush foothills. At the peak of the mountain rests majestically a solid gold idol of the Wind God, who demands golden sacrifices to prevent a hurricane blowing their village off the mountain's south face. The sole woman of the village is also the village chief, and naturally holds considerable power over her tribesmen. Her secret is the Wind God's Wrath, a horrible black monstrosity of some hard, unknown rock, which rests precariously on the collapsing ruins of outpost left by foreign invaders. The villagers prefer to live in the upper regions of the mountain (so as to be close to their god) but of course clamber down to the rocky shore to catch breakfast.

watchtower.jpg

Native warriors guard the gold left for the Wind God from their watchtower.

bringing_the_gods_treasure.jpg

Gold is brought to the Wind God at the summit.

boom_boom_stick.jpg

The Wind God's Wrath. It is gunned by two warrior-priests.

islander_village.jpg

A French sloop of war, spotting the European ruins, decides to investigate. The officers attempt to purchase the natives' land with some shiny plastic blocks. The chief is not impressed.

The French attack is basically an excuse to show the mountain's size relative a standard sized Lego ship.

Overall, I am not very happy with the vegetation. I wanted to create as natural a look as I could, but I ended up just throwing it anywhere.

Advice and criticisms wanted!

The Gallery

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

The mountain is well-designed, would be better if it was the new color. But the scene is interesting, and the invaders' ship I love, did you design it? I rrally did not know that primitives had cannons, maybe retrieved from victims. Very good overall, althouygh the invaders hold an advantage over the small island which seems hopeless. Try to get more isalnders.

Looks great. The beach has a good size to it and so is the land. I wonder what a fort is doing on an island like this? The vegetation looks good, maybe try having some of those green whips slopped down or maybe even up. The plant -flower is also good on the mountain. The vegatation looks good on the bottom.

Great job.

(Your avatar looks familiar to me. Someone on BL had the background like that)

That's a beautiful island Mr Doog! You inserted quite alot of details in this MOC I see, like the shrine, the spring and the bathing grounds.. I especially like the bathing grounds.

Great MOC Mr Doog!

Mr Tiber

I like it! Especially the inclusion of the cannon! Good work.

God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks to everyone for their comments and compliments!!

But the scene is interesting, and the invaders' ship I love, did you design it?
No, unfortunately :-) It's a Lego set.
I wonder what a fort is doing on an island like this?
I was originally going to build a ruin with Mesoamerican architecture. I came up with the idea for a ruined fort instead when I was reading Heart of Darkness. I thought it would provide the island an interesting touch as well for it to have European ruins on it.

Essentially, the fort is a testament to the stupidity of earlier colonists :-)

(Your avatar looks familiar to me. Someone on BL had the background like that)
It's a standard background from this minifig generator.
I especially like the bathing grounds.
I really liked them as well *-) Those were my favorite part of the mountain to make.

I plan on some day adding more vegetation like vines and palm trees; especially vines.

It's a standard background from this minifig generator.

Ah, I see.

I was originally going to build a ruin with Mesoamerican architecture. I came up with the idea for a ruined fort instead when I was reading Heart of Darkness. I thought it would provide the island an interesting touch as well for it to have European ruins on it.

Essentially, the fort is a testament to the stupidity of earlier colonists :-)

Good idea! The fort does add a nice touch :capn: .

I really like this, I've been in the planning stages for a while on a island fort with a small town a bit similar to this, but I haven't had any time to actually start work on it.

The mountain is very impressive. Makes me wish I had about 50 more rock pieces so I could do something similar.

It also makes me want to hunt down my islanders and bring them back with a little island of their own.

It's really great - the vegetation looks VERY natural to me - overgrown, teeming with life. As for why there is a fort there - my guess is that the island was once much bigger, but seismic activity caused it to lose some of it to sink into the sea. Well, it's nice to speculate anyway...

Dr. S.

Wow, what do we have here....

How long did you work in this MOC?

It looks sooo very good.

I just love the way you organized all the figs to take that last picture (of the French attack).

And I like your story. Let's execute on of our members as a sacrifices for the Wind God. Don't want a hurricane to destroy the islanders village X-D

Thanks! It took me a little less than a month from concept drawings to finish. As for the matter of Wind God appeasement, let the witch hunt begin! >8-)

I wasn't very impressed at first until I saw the overall picture. That blew my mind. Awesome.

Your vegetation looks fine except for the tree at the top.

Really really nice, very good use of the bricks: the mountain looks impressive and I like the small tropical huts that hang on the mountain. A very good MOC. *y*