Newoaf

Bricks not genuinely available in colors displayed in LDD?

Hi, I have been working on making a large Galactus figure in LDD, intending on buying the pieces necessary and building it in real life once I have finished. I completed the head (I'm building it in sections) and went on Bricklink to check the general prices of the bricks I need. For some reason, though, there is one piece: (Inverted Roof Tile Corner in Dark Purple or Medium Lilac) that was not available on Bricklink, and I have not been able to find anywhere. This kind of screwed me up, because I assumed if it was available in that color in LDD, it would be available in real life. Now I have to figure out a way to bypass this issue when I actually build the figure. Any one else run into a problem like this?

No, not all of the pieces that you see in LDD are available in the colors shown. (This is even more true if you use LDD Extended mode, where you can make any part any color that you want.)

If you really need the particular piece in a currently-in-production color, I suggest that you add it to a wanted list on Bricklink. That way, if it is ever actually produced and sold, you can be notified.

No, not all of the pieces that you see in LDD are available in the colors shown. (This is even more true if you use LDD Extended mode, where you can make any part any color that you want.)

If you really need the particular piece in a currently-in-production color, I suggest that you add it to a wanted list on Bricklink. That way, if it is ever actually produced and sold, you can be notified.

That's insane to me! I would just assume they would only have existing pieces in the program. Kinda messes up the way I use the program. Oh well, I will figure out a way. I think I will add it to my wanted list, but I think that is a piece that is unlikely to come out any time soon due to how specific it is. Thanks!

As frustrating as it is to discover that parts shown in standard mode are not readily available to buy, this does not necessarily mean that they do not exist. Some were made for Master Builders at Legoland Parks, and I believe this is the reason they appear in LDD, though this will not offer much comfort to those who want them to complete a model.

I heard that there's a Swedish bloke who made something nice to find out if you can actually buy all your needed bits, but from my own experience of building a database and trying to find out what is available (and affordable!), I wouldn't blame him for maybe being fed-up. Something new would be SUPER though.

You can also try using Rebrickable.com, which allows you to create inventories for anything you have an LDD file for. Basically, you can upload the file, and it will tell you if any of your parts are not available in a color.

You can also have a look at my new tool, Bricks and Pieces Helper. When you upload your LDD file, it will try to find the bricks in your model from the LEGO Bricks and Pieces service. Over time, I found out that if the color you want is not listed on this LEGO service/shop (not available at all. Out of stock bricks usually does exist somewhere), they probably don't exist in real life 80% of the time or it means it's super rare.

For such a special display model don't be a purist. Find a compatible hobby spray paint and colour the couple you need to match the rest.

It's annoying, yes.

The only safe way I deal with it is always having Bricklink open while building to check pieces I haven't used before if they are available (and affordable!)...

This is why I almost never use standard mode. When it is both incomplete (missing parts that DO exist) and inaccurate (having parts that DON'T exist), the limited parts selection hardly offers any advantages.

The one exception is that I occasionally switch over to standard mode to select printed parts. The tiny icons for prints in extended mode can be a nightmare, and in some cases (such as the multiple keyboard prints for 1x2 tiles) it's easier to select the correct print for the correct color in standard mode rather than having to remember which subtly different print goes on which color of part in extended mode.

Edited by Lyichir