Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #127: A Light in the Darkness

[banner Pending as always]

Four heroes make their way to the Temple of Ennoc.

6383608815_a7995e8cd6_z.jpg

av_priestess_zps89de6d98.png

"Greetings and salutations," says the woman in a soft voice. "I am High Priestess Alisameth. How may I be of assistance, my children?"

The Party

15622016117_ba91eaa5d2_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)
*Party Leader*

264 year old female Elven Minstrel

Level 34 2/4 *2x XP**Counterstriking**immune to sealed*

Power bonus:
,+8
(quest #102)

Defence:
(Leather armour 1 +lesser etherial cloak 1)

Health:
49/49
(Base Cleric 9 +Level bonus 34 -Quest #102 5 +Minstrel Bonus 11)

Ether:
47/47
(Base Cleric 5 +Level bonus 34 +Minstrel Bonus 4 +zoot cookie #102 1 +Lesser Etherial cloak 3)

Gold:

Equipment:
Nocturne Flute (WP:6, causes
asleep
-effect, instrument), Lesser etherial cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to
sealed
; backwear), Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves.

Inventory:
Mutt's Flute (WP:10, inflicts
Weakened
-effect, instrument), Party Maracas (WP:4, user is
hastened
, instrument), Battered wooden flute (WP:6,
Darkness
-elemental), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14,
Light
-Elemental, Meditate becomes hits, longsword), Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and Immune to
Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe), Smith’s Katana (WP:10,
Darkness
elemental), longsword, Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to
Blind
), Shield (SP: 5),

Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired, Accessory, Suitable for Paladins), Helm of the Lord of Light (Headwear, Immunity to
Light
and
Jinxed
, Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3, Immunity to
Ice
and
Water
, Bodywear, Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors)

Opal
(2),
Topaz
(2),
Diamond
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald
Aquamarine
Ruby
Amethyst

Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion,
(
Inspired
-effect to all allies for 10 ether, song),

Grand Tonics (3), Potions (7), Elixirs (2), Remedies (7), Nostrum, Tiger Balm, Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom (4), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Ether Core(2), Grand potion(2), Ambrosia (4), Health Core, Phoenix essence,

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel and His 99 Pieces
, the Super Sleuth (Played by Palathadric)

463-year-old male "hermit" Artisan
*reinforced*

Level:
32 1/4

Power:
32 + 7

Defense:

Health:
60/60
9 + 15 + 31 + 3 + 2*

Gold:

Equipment:
Dual Staff (WP: 7,
Ice
Lightning
Fire
Wind
Light
; dual strike; staff), Darksteel Armour (SP:6, Max. Health +3; bodywear), Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile), Marauder’s Mantle (Grants permanent reinforced-effect; suitable to marauders; backwear), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory)

Inventory:

Weapons and Shields:
Flying Cross (WP: 9,
Darkness
; broomstick), Splinter Broom (WP:8; broomstick; defies SP), Whip of Savage Overlords (WP: 9; ⅙ chance of inflicting the Slowed-effect; Whip), Steak (WP: 1, instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Staff of the Necromancer (WP: 12; damages Undead; +1 Level to raised Undead; Staff),
Shadeaux Mace (WP:9; deals fragile effect), Heavy Flail (WP: 5, causes fragile; mace), Anointed Gladius (WP: 8, damages Undead; greatsword), Mythril Shield (SP: 20), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks)

Artifacts:
Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Armour of Dark Arts (Takes up: Bodywear, Handwear, Footwear slots; counts as one artifact; SP:10; Suitable to Knight classes, Dragoons, Skirmishers), Cloak of the Barbaric Runecaster (SP: 3; wearer creates and deploys a Skeleton Decoy at the start of every battle; suitable for Battle Mages, Necromancers, and Scholars; backwear), Duplovian Helmet (SP:2, immune to Magic and Healing; headwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; backwear), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides Special Guard against Undead enemies; backwear), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), Magic Viper Skin (heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle unless knocked out; accessory), Shackles of War (accessory)

Gems:
2 Amethysts
Emerald
Garnet,
2 Aquamarines
Ruby

Scrolls:
Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep

Consumables:
2 Potions, 13 Grand Potions, Cherry (Restores 1 ether), 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Phoenix Incenses, 5 Phoenix Essences, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 2 Jinxy Juices, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, 2 Blind Bombs, 2 Seal Bombs, 2 Sleep Bombs, Demeter Bomb, 13 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently), Level-Up Mushroom

Tools:
Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Shovel, Magic Compass, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest)

Grimwald Gjinko

8605602704_4e09abb709_t.jpg

69 year old male gnome Sage

Level:

Power Bonus:
+1 permanent, +5 spells

SP:

Health:
32/32

Ether:
28/28

Gold:
735 (Owes Nerwen 300, owed 38 by Benji)

Glory Points:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP:15; Staff), Spellbound Gloves (Increases the power of spells by 5, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element), Robes of the Disciple of Ennoc (+5 max. health, +5 max. ether, meditation restores 2 ether, body-wear)

Inventory:

• Spellbound hood (SP: 2, Increases the power of spells by 3, doubled if the enemy is weak to the element, headwear, suitable for Mages, Clerics and Necromancers)

• Shovel, Pickaxe, Bedroll

• Opal, Amethyst, Diamond, Topaz

• Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Sleep

• Potion x7, Tonic x7, Grand Tonic x4, Sushi (restores 5 HP and 5 Ether) x2, Remedy x2, Elixir x4, Neutralizer, Phoenix Essence, Mead x4, Nostrum x3, Smelling Salts x4, Mulled Wine x2, Ambrosia, Bone x5, Ice Bomb, Root Beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against Undead enemies for 20 damage (Does not affect non-Undead enemies)), Plague Venom, Health Core, Neptune Bomb

kiray_cu.jpg

Kiray Nastayo (KingoftheZempk),
A Hero Who Is Actually Worth Something
*Absorbs
Water
Immune to
Fire

24 year old female human

Level 12.5 Knight

Power Bonus:

Defense:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Equipment:
Fishy Scale Mail (SP: 6, wearer absorbs water-elemental damage as health, immune to
Fire;
suitable for knights, dragoons, skirmishers, and regulators, bodywear), Orcish Barbed Shield (SP:11; shield),
Sanctified Rito Longsword (WP:6, doubled against Flying enemies; longsword),

Inventory:

- x3 Potion, Banana (Restores full health when eaten), Remedy, 3x Nostrum, Ambrosia, 2x Mead, Smelling Salts, Mediocre Pongcanis Brew (Encouraged + Enraged), 5 Bones

- Bedroll, Everlasting Venom (Adds the poisoned by 10-effect to one weapon permanently), Dragon Scale, x3 Fire Bomb, x4 Venom

-Flameproof Armor (SP:1, no longer flameproof; bodywear, suitable for anyone), Inert Blade (Greatsword, WP 5)

"My lady, we received a notice in our hall from High Warrior Priestess...um...Yu Shu...or something, about striking at the Order Imperial. We assume you have heard of this endeavour and have approved it. Or do the Warrior Priests act on their own?"

Stats look good.

Nerwen buys 2 neutralisers, 4 smelling salts and a phoenix essence costing 250 gold leaving her with 99 gold.

Grimwald takes the time to give Nerwen the 300 gold he owes her for the Robes of the Disciple of Ennoc.

Light shines in our meeting Your Reverence, Master Monk here has summed our task. Though we are expecting one other, perhaps we might pray while we wait?

Nerwen lends Grimwald a garnet, sapphire, emerald, ruby and aquamarine.

It will be good to quest with you Master Gnome. And now you have a full compliment of elemental gems.

She then sets aside the Smith's Katana for Kiray to use.

Likely this will be better than the one she carries.

Master Monk, perhaps you might lend our knight the armour we took from Barus and attach the other end of that fancy chain you have to her also.

Edited by Chromeknight

OoC: Please check your PMs as well. That is where we will keep ooc chat. :thumbup:

"My lady, we received a notice in our hall from High Warrior Priestess...um...Yu Shu...or something, about striking at the Order Imperial. We assume you have heard of this endeavour and have approved it. Or do the Warrior Priests act on their own?"

"Ah, heroes. I should have guessed with such a diverse group. It is a great pleasure to meet you, Monk, lady elf, and gnome. Do any of you have a name, perchance?" She sighs. "Yes, Yu Shu. She has told me that she'll be taking on this endeavor. I consult the Warrior Priests the same as I consult all of our military, but I do not enjoy the task. My love lies in the spiritual health of Eubric, not military campaigns in foreign lands. But the Eagle-Headed God asks us all to serve, and we must answer the call. Yu Shu in particular is difficult for me to deal with. The Warrior Priests are powerful and serve the light, but she... is very strong headed, I guess would be how I might phrase it. But she is right in this matter. The Order Imperial can be no more."

Light shines in our meeting Your Reverence, Master Monk here has summed our task. Though we are expecting one other, perhaps we might pray while we wait?

"Perhaps that would be best, if you are going to enter combat with the Order. The light will need to be with you. You are no stranger to Ennoc, I take it? I can take you to pray after the final hero arrives."

"Ah, heroes. I should have guessed with such a diverse group. It is a great pleasure to meet you, Monk, lady elf, and gnome. Do any of you have a name, perchance?" She sighs. "Yes, Yu Shu. She has told me that she'll be taking on this endeavor. I consult the Warrior Priests the same as I consult all of our military, but I do not enjoy the task. My love lies in the spiritual health of Eubric, not military campaigns in foreign lands. But the Eagle-Headed God asks us all to serve, and we must answer the call. Yu Shu in particular is difficult for me to deal with. The Warrior Priests are powerful and serve the light, but she... is very strong headed, I guess would be how I might phrase it. But she is right in this matter. The Order Imperial can be no more."

"Pretzel, my lady, Monk Pretzel, at your service."

I bow deeply. Do you know of the cow-headed general, madame? Is any one of Ennoc's warrior priests? What of the one who goes by the name of 'Fervent.' If so, I can see what you mean by consulting them not being a pleasure...but in any case. Sometimes I fear that Ennoc's warriors rely too much on their tactical ability and not enough on the righteous light, but I suppose you will know more about their present state than I...not meaning any disrespect by the way."

"Perhaps that would be best, if you are going to enter combat with the Order. The light will need to be with you. You are no stranger to Ennoc, I take it? I can take you to pray after the final hero arrives."

I turn to the Minstrel.

"I did not know you embraced the ways of God."

"Pretzel, my lady, Monk Pretzel, at your service."

I bow deeply. Do you know of the cow-headed general, madame? Is any one of Ennoc's warrior priests? What of the one who goes by the name of 'Fervent.' If so, I can see what you mean by consulting them not being a pleasure...but in any case. Sometimes I fear that Ennoc's warriors rely too much on their tactical ability and not enough on the righteous light, but I suppose you will know more about their present state than I...not meaning any disrespect by the way."

"Yes, Brusk. It is not my place to pass judgement on those who serve. The Eighteenth Battalion has worked most recently under Sir Pellmar who is responsible for protecting this city. I do not know Fervent, but I doubt that he is a Warrior Priest if he serves alongside Brusk. It is rare to find a warrior priest or priestess in the city. They serve mostly as missionaries to dangerous lands. It is one of the most difficult callings within our order. They are few in numbers and high in causalities."

They serve mostly as missionaries to dangerous lands. It is one of the most difficult callings within our order. They are few in numbers and high in causalities."

"Ah, pardon my ignorance. I thought the warrior priests worked alongside the legions of light. So we then are taking care of a matter further out. For some reason I thought the Order Imperial's stronghold was here in Eubric, I guess I was wrong. What are there teachings exactly. I ran into a couple of them who were trying to disrupt one of my former quests. They didn't seem entirely wrong in trying to stop us from laying our hands on the knowledge we were attempting to seize, though in the end if we hadn't, someone less than positive would've, so it did all work together for good, as they say. ...Anyway, what must we be especially wary of from them? They seem to have a respect for the light, unless I've heard wrong."

"We have a complicated system of command that has developed over many years. Even I don't understand it always, but as I have said my passions lie elsewhere."

Some Paladin soldiers march by as the heroes talk, and Alisameth tuts and draws the heroes closer.

"You are correct that the Order Imperial has a presence in Eubric. We suspect, from what I understand, that they may own a space to operate out of, and perhaps that is indeed what the were-lionness has found. But the Order Imperial is larger than that. Just as the Paladins once stood strong in the High Kingdoms and watched over our brethren in the Low Kingdoms... so too is the Order Imperial involved with affairs all over the world. They are in the Kingdoms. Yu Shu believes they are in Dastan as well. They have spies among the common folk, in courts, and most likely among the Paladin Order itself."

"The Light that illuminates everything does not work in the shadows. It is a protector. He is Justice. The Order Imperial has forgotten that. They have come to believe that they are justice. It is, perhaps, not safe for us to talk about this here, however."

"I wonder what has become of your fellow hero. I hope she or he has not become lost in this city."

Kiray rushes in, breathing heavily and sweat on her brow. "I'm so sorry I'm late. I got lost on my way here." She looked at her quest mates, recognizing Grim but not the others. She nodded to Grim and gave a weak smile to the others. She accepts the katana from Nerwen and equips it.

"High Priestess, please let me know if I understand from the words I was able to pick up as I ran here, hearing small bits of your conversation between clanking armor noises. You do not judge those who serve, but you are having us... judge them? For lack of a better word." Kiray pushes a lock of hair behind her ear, it slightly damp from the sweat.

Alisameth blushes.

"That is insightful, my child. I suppose I have passed judgement on the Order Imperial, whether or not it is my place to do so. But it is the same as when I advise the people of this city to strive for the Light. Ennoc is Justice and Love, and those are things I have judged to be more valuable than chaos and hatred. I respect my fellow Paladins - Brusk, Yu Shu and I may all not feel the same way on how best to serve the Eagle-Headed God, but we do all serve. The Order Imperial do not serve. They do not feed those who are hungry nor shelter those who are left out in the darkness. And that is not the way of the Light that I serve."

"But no, I have not asked you to pass judgement. This is Yu Shu's decision, her service to the Light. And I believe, because of that, it is time that you go to meet her. My lady elf, may the Light guide you and your friends. I am sure you know the prayers. Say them in your heart. You will find Yu Shu around the back of the Temple."

Nerwen and Monk Pretzel, perhaps due to their previous service as Paladins, feel blessed as they leave the temple, while the other two do not.

The heroes make their way to the back of the temple. There they find a small stone building, a block wedged up against the building - clearly a nearer addition. They can hear voices inside, and let themselves in. They find two were-lions, locked in intense conversation.

IMG_2255_zps1lu2sste.jpg

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"...we can't do that, Oko. Time is of the essence. It will take time to recall the other Warrior Priests. We have no one left here in the city beside you and I. Orel Cayne and Jeremiah have not yet returned from the north. Raguel is dead. Ferfew is still too green, and I will not become her butcher by bringing her."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Then let us bring a battalion."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"That isn't an option either. They can't know we're coming, and you know just as well as I do that anyone could secretly belong to the Order Imperial."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"I will hand-pick a team."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"And how would you know who to trust, brother? I do not mean that as an insult. You know that I have been fooled myself. Samuel... I would have never suspected. So we must bring help from elsewhere. The heroes are here."

The were-lions turn to face the heroes.

IMG_2256_zps47o1niks.jpg

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"Hello, heroes. My name is Yu Shu. I am a Warrior Priest of Ennoc, and this is my twin brother, Oko."

Answering the hermit's question, Nerwen says in a quiet voice.

I walked the path of Paladin for a little while. We have discussed the gods you and I, I never denied Ennoc's existence or power. So serving him for a time is no contradiction.

Nerwen nods in greeting.

Light shines on our meeting. I am Nerwen Calmcacil, these are Monk Pretzel, Grimwald Gjinko and Kiray Nastayo. From what little I have heard so far, the order is a weed in your garden that must be pulled up. But weeding is a thankless task that often, in the act of doing, sows the seeds for yet more seeds to sprout later. Tell me you have a plan that is not haste and hope and misdirected zeal.

Kiray shrinks back in surprise at the were-lions. Oko and Yu Shu, she repeats in her mind. "I'm sorry to overhear... er... Warrior Priests, but you said a hand-picked team. But weren't you, Miss Yu Shu the one who asked us for help? Is there a different group we should know about who will be supporting us or are we the team?" She looks over at Nerwen. "Sorry for butting in."

Answering the hermit's question, Nerwen says in a quiet voice.

I walked the path of Paladin for a little while. We have discussed the gods you and I, I never denied Ennoc's existence or power. So serving him for a time is no contradiction.

Nerwen nods in greeting.

I raise an eyebrow in Nerwen's direction, but remain silent.

What kind of worship is this? I muse.

Light shines on our meeting. I am Nerwen Calmcacil, these are Monk Pretzel, Grimwald Gjinko and Kiray Nastayo. From what little I have heard so far, the order is a weed in your garden that must be pulled up. But weeding is a thankless task that often, in the act of doing, sows the seeds for yet more seeds to sprout later. Tell me you have a plan that is not haste and hope and misdirected zeal.

I turn to the were-lions.

"I can't speak for the others here, but Lady Nerwen here and I have just come from a mission to the Low Kingdoms where we and a few others dispatched a whole army who were attacking a village. I think at least a few of us have dealt with the Order Imperial before now as well, so the qualifications are here. It will be a pleasure working with you and you can depend on our loyalty...I should think...and our secrecy."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"So, you're one of Alisameth's types?" Yu Shu growls deeply. "I know you, Nerwen Calmcacil. One of my soldiers came to see me shortly after he had a talk with you. He told me that you were there when one of my great allies, Raguel, was decapitated, and that you had given him the name of the Orc responsible. Tra-Serral. He asked me permission to go and bring her to justice. I refused. What was done with Raguel was done, and I was not willing to forfeit yet another good soldier on a ridiculous crusade from years before any of us were born. He acted as if he respected my decision, but only a month ago he left my Order and joined the Order Imperial. After he left we found evidence that he had been working for them as a spy since about the time of your conversation and my refusal of his request. So we are both responsible for his betrayal."

"This is not a plan born out of haste. We have deliberated for a month as to the best course of action. But I have come to my decision. The Order Imperial is not some weed in my garden - they are their own garden, and they are deliberately choking mine." She swats with her paw. "Enough with the metaphors. You can call it whatever you want, but you have to draw a line somewhere. They are the darkness, and they are trying to swallow my light. They are cannibalizing the Paladin Order, and I am going to send them a message that we will not be trifled with. Maybe it will sow the seeds for more weeds, but the weeds we have right now are choking us to death. We can fight the other weeds when they arise."

Kiray shrinks back in surprise at the were-lions. Oko and Yu Shu, she repeats in her mind. "I'm sorry to overhear... er... Warrior Priests, but you said a hand-picked team. But weren't you, Miss Yu Shu the one who asked us for help? Is there a different group we should know about who will be supporting us or are we the team?" She looks over at Nerwen. "Sorry for butting in."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"You are the team that will be coming with us. My brother wishes to bring more Paladins, a hand-selected team, but that is not possible. We have no way of knowing who might betray us. The only people I can know with certainty are not secretly members of the Order Imperial are my brother and myself. Even Alisameth is largely unaware of our mission. That being said, you are not the only people who will be accompanying us. I have also hired a Red Assassin. She will meet us on the boat, and she will have ample time to judge you, and you her. I do not doubt your ability, but I would never throw all my eggs into one basket. If you were previously hired by the Order Imperial... or if you should decide once you're there that you do not have the guts to finish the mission, I would like another alternative. There is also a guide who will be coming with us. This is why the time to strike is now. Up until he came to us, we had no way to know where the Order was. But he has discovered one of their hide-outs, and will take us there. He has proven himself a warrior as well. The plan is to enter their compound and neutralize it. Then, perhaps, they will realize the Light shines on my Order and not theirs. And perhaps they will think twice about their spies and their betrayals and their actions."

"I've encountered this 'Order Imperial' before, once - didn't seem like a pleasant bunch, that much is certain..."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"An understatement," snarls Oko. "They are dangerous to Olegaia."

"I can't speak for the others here, but Lady Nerwen here and I have just come from a mission to the Low Kingdoms where we and a few others dispatched a whole army who were attacking a village. I think at least a few of us have dealt with the Order Imperial before now as well, so the qualifications are here. It will be a pleasure working with you and you can depend on our loyalty...I should think...and our secrecy."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"I'm glad to hear it. Heroica and the Paladin Order have often worked towards the same goal. I hope we will today as well."

The heroes hear rummaging in another room.

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Our guide. He's getting ready to depart. If you have no further questions, I believe we're ready to go." He grins and reveals some sharp teeth. "I am sure you're concerned if we can trust this guide. I had a similar fear until I met him. I can assure you, the Order Imperial would never work with him, and he would never work for them."

It takes the heroes a few seconds to realize that the hob-goblin has even entered the room.

IMG_2257_zpsxqv7ewpt.jpg

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"This is Marcellus."

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

"Hello."

Nerwen smiles warmly, without any observable trace of guilt or regret.

You know me. Good. And I am beginning to know you.

You speak of Samuel, known as the doubly blessed. It is sad that he left your path to follow another, but his betrayal of your secrets is shameful. He earns no loyalty for me, my debt to him on Raguel's account is discharged.

As for your plan, I see its scope. We are raiding one of their lairs to send a message rather than trying to neutralize the entire operation. Good. I am glad to be clear on expectations. You find no shirkers here.

I wrinkle my nose as the sight of the greenskin.

"This is what we have to work with?" I grumble. "I don't think we have to fear his betraying your secrets to the Order Imperial, but to worse enemies... I don't like the looks of him, but if you think he's worth our time then I suppose we haven't a choice but to take him and keep an eye on him at all times. Let's pray there won't be any funny business on this venture."

I hand my two shields to Kiray, gently.

"You can probably make better use of these on this quest than I can. Take good care of them."

I hand a Ruby, Garnet, Emerald, and Aquamarine to Grimwald.

"I seem to remember you from somewhere..." I mumble to Grimwald. "Strange it seems recent, but...vague at the same time."

Edited by Palathadric

Kiray thinks about the Red Assassin. She only knew one female assassin, and that one dressed in black, from what she could recall.

She eyes Marcellus with a careful eye. The knight knew they would meet strange people in this world, but were-lions and hob-goblins were a whole different thing. Still, the were-lions seemed to make a point about the Order not trusting a being like Marcellus. She notices the dark armor on the guide. "I'm sorry, Marcellus, but just who, or what are you?" Kiray wonders of he was a black knight, a way of life she had looked into when she had the skills ready.

"Thank you, sir," Kiray says as she accepts the shields from Monk Pretzel. "I will take good care of them" She equips the katana lent to her and the mythril shield.

OoC: My apologies. Not that this matters... but Marcellus is actually a "Gremlin".

You know me. Good. And I am beginning to know you.

You speak of Samuel, known as the doubly blessed. It is sad that he left your path to follow another, but his betrayal of your secrets is shameful. He earns no loyalty for me, my debt to him on Raguel's account is discharged.

As for your plan, I see its scope. We are raiding one of their lairs to send a message rather than trying to neutralize the entire operation. Good. I am glad to be clear on expectations. You find no shirkers here.

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"I do not believe you owe anyone a debt for Raguel's death. I sent him north when Prince David sent an envoy requesting an advisor. Raguel and I served for a long time together, and he was never bitter that the Paladins gave me command of the Warrior Priests though he had served longer. He requested to go north. I knew his differences with the Orcs there could be a problem, but I allowed him to go. I do not believe that his presence started a war and I don't believe sending someone else would have prevented it. He did what he saw fit, and when you were faced with a difficult decision, you did the same. There is no shame in that. The only debt we have is to serve."

"The Order Imperial is too wide spread to strike at en force. We would spend months traveling Olegaia, and still would be unlikely to flush them all out. But this will not be easy. I believe we will be facing a significant portion of their High Kingdom presence."

"This is what we have to work with?" I grumble. "I don't think we have to fear his betraying your secrets to the Order Imperial, but to worse enemies... I don't like the looks of him, but if you think he's worth our time then I suppose we haven't a choice but to take him and keep an eye on him at all times. Let's pray there won't be any funny business on this venture."

IMG_2310_zpsrqc2gqd4.jpg

"Hahaha," chuckles the were-lion deeply but with dagger eyes. "You still fear the green skins? When my sister and I arrived at the Paladin Order, we were shunned by some. But we proved our worth, and they were not given a choice but to accept us. Measure the green skin by his actions, not by his past. The world is in constant change. That is what our mother taught us. Tradition is nothing."

She eyes Marcellus with a careful eye. The knight knew they would meet strange people in this world, but were-lions and hob-goblins were a whole different thing. Still, the were-lions seemed to make a point about the Order not trusting a being like Marcellus. She notices the dark armor on the guide. "I'm sorry, Marcellus, but just who, or what are you?" Kiray wonders of he was a black knight, a way of life she had looked into when she had the skills ready.

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"A good question. Marcellus, I would prefer that you told your own story."

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

"As you wish. I serve as a bodyguard to the Three Sisters, three witches going by the names Morta, Nona, and Deci. They are old creatures. Before I was born, my parents made a deal with Morta in which they gave me up. I can only imagine that I was better off without them. The witches have shown me a great deal of the world, and they have all treated me with respect. I do not know what life I would have lived without them, but I am certain this life is better."

"Morta..." the gremlin glares at the ground for a few seconds before continuing, "Morta has always been particularly kind to me. She and I were traveling in northern Uland some months ago. After we parted ways with our traveling companion - he had an appointment to keep - we were attacked by the Order Imperial. I failed to protect Morta. She was taken. I followed them to their hide out in the High Kingdoms, but I knew I would not survive alone. So I brought the information to the Paladin Order. I will lead you to the hide-out, and go in with you. I will not tell you where to go. You are not going without me. I will ensure with my life that Morta is rescued."

IMG_2313_zps3lj67aob.jpg

"She will be. We are good on our word, Marcellus." She turns to the heroes. "I have promised Marcellus that he will have our assistance in saving Morta. It is a small price to pay for his assistance, and we will be decimating the base as it is. Freeing prisoners will be little extra work."

She grabs the shield and a double fanged stave from the wall. "Are we ready to go? There will be time to talk as we travel towards the High Kingdoms."

"Not only a greenskin, but a servant of witches!" I grumble inaudibly.

And we're rescuing a witch to top it off.

"Tell me green...er...Marcellus," I say with forced politeness for the sake of the were-lions, "what is it these witches do that makes them worth saving? Not that it's any of my business, but I would like to know whether they too could run us through as we set upon the place. From my experience with witches, necromancers, and the like, they have little good about them."

I proceed to hand my Shadeaux Mace, Heavy Flail, and Undead Gladius to Kiray.

"The sword may prove useful if it comes to battle with the undead, but if the Order Imperial are anything like I know them to be, they shun the use of the dead as well."

IMG_2312_zpssvbvzicl.jpg

"The Three Sisters are not like the witches of Heroica. They are not like Baba either, though she is... similar. She is a great consumer. And they feed the world. I have never tried to understand it, it barely interests me. But you don't need to worry about them attacking you. They have sworn- or, Hel, maybe they are born this way- to never raise their hand against a mortal. They will offer you a deal, whisper in your ear, but they won't fight you. Or, at least, I have never seen them offer resistance. Even when Morta was taken she went quietly. Besides, you don't have a choice. Only I can bring you there, and I won't do it unless you swear to save Morta."

"Well, I suppose the paladins have done their swearing, so we're not left with many options. Who is this 'Baba' anyway? And what do you mean by, 'they feed the world'? I suppose you could say everyone feeds the world something. The question is 'what?'"

"Baba is an evil witch who appears to work for - or at least with - the Wolfgang. Kiray and I saw her and fought some of her food-based minions back on our first quest with Heroica, at the Eubric Foundation Day Ball."

Grimwald then turns to Marcellus, saying: "I'm afraid that I can't exactly swear to save this Morta, but I can promise you that I - no, all of us - will at the very least try our best."