Sign in to follow this  
desultor

Let's make a wiki!

One of my first new threads as a new member here was a duplicate topic of the Frequently Asked Questions variety. I should have dug deeper to find the topic, but I think it would be helpful to have an index thread of FAQ topics in the Website & Forums forum. (And yes, I did search for "FAQ" and "wiki" before posting this! :classic: )

It seems that within the limits of forum functionality, "pinning" indexes of important threads and putting them in the Important Topics section is the best way to collect info like this in one place. But a wiki would be a drastically better solution, in my opinion. Forums are a great tool for group conversation, but not cataloging information. Is there any possibility of adding wiki functionality to EB?

I think that would be a decent idea and while were on the topic of Wikipedia, someone with an account should make a Eurobricks page.

Is there any possibility of adding wiki functionality to EB?

Or maybe just use an already established wiki like BrickWiki?

BW already has a functional framework and decent article base. It just needs a few more contributors to really get the project going again and ANYBODY can be a contributor. You don't have to write big articles or even know all that much about wiki markup.

Give it a try. :sweet:

^ True, but I got the sense from the original request that desultor wanted an article-based wiki as opposed to a set database. Either way, creating yet another LEGO-related wiki seems inefficient when there are already several to choose from.

What I was thinking in the OP was much less ambitious - just a place for FAQ and such on the EB site, about the site and the AFOL scene. On reflection it seems like adding wiki features just for that would be a lot of work for a little payoff. Maybe I'll take some time to post a thread worthy of pinning, that compiles a lot of the FAQ kind of stuff that I was looking for.

Thanks for those links, though! I didn't even know they existed. I agree that reinventing the wheel would be foolish. I'm surprised that even two LEGO wikis can coexist. What's the general consensus of which is better?

As cool as it would be (IMHO) to have one massive site that includes comprehensive wikified information on all LEGO sets, reviews, MOCs, techniques, etc, along with a rich forum for discussing all the above, perhaps it's best to use the right tool for the right job at this point: Flickr/Brickshelf for photo hosting, Brickipedia/Brickwiki for wiki info, and EB (of course) for all discussion.