Michal87PL

Cracks in Minifigs

Hi There,

I recently start to collecting lego. :wink:

Reading internet I found topics about cracks on mini-figures torso, hands, and legs, so I got few questions because I want to buy more expensive license set and I don't want my mini-figures to crack.

1. Can does cracks appear simply by putting mini-figures on the shelf (not playing and disassembling parts)

2. Cracks on mini-figures are common problem? how many of you have cracks mini-figures?

3. What can i do to prevent cracks?

Minifigures parts made of ABS, i.e. most minifig parts, left on a shelf won't crack at room temperature and humidity. However, sunlight can cause parts to turn yellowy which is especially noticeable on white parts.

I have minifigures that I bought in 1993 that are in as good condition today as they were when I bought them.

Edited by AmperZand

Cracks on minifigure torsos usually happen from changing the arms out (which LEGO says not to do and they don't even sell arms). I've never had this happen myself, but I do have some older torsos without arms that are cracked and others have stated that pulling arms out has caused cracks for them.

Arm cracks, I've heard can happen when switching hands, but again I've never seen it myself. I do have one cracked arm but it also has a toothmark so my guess is the bite cracked it.

I've also read that using the new clear "spider jumper" stand (i don't know the official name) can often crack the back of minifig legs. That one is documented around these forums somewhere.

so for example when i put my minifigs on stand like on photo (after let say 1 year) can this crack the back of minifig legs?

do you have crack the back legs on minifigs you display this way in Yours collection?

640x427.jpg

Edited by Michal87PL

so for example when i put my minifigs on stand like on photo (after let say 1 year) can this crack the back of minifig legs?

do you have crack the back legs on minifigs you display this way in Yours collection?

I've never had any cracks on back of figure legs. Either displayed (clicked on some studs like you did) or stored undisplayed. I don't think using the figure like that, as intended will lead to any cracks and if they did, LEGO customer service should probably be contacted.

The longest I've had a figure displayed in that manor so far is 5 years.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to EB!!

The image you have posted is too big. The maximum size for images is 1024 wide. Please try to follow the site guidelines next time you embed an image.

(you can always save an image to Flickr or Bricksafe an embed the scaled down version).

Thanks in advance

Hi Michael,

Welcome to EB!!

The image you have posted is too big. The maximum size for images is 1024 wide. Please try to follow the site guidelines next time you embed an image.

(you can always save an image to Flickr or Bricksafe an embed the scaled down version).

Thanks in advance

thx for tip with bricksafe, I already changed size of the image

thx for tip with bricksafe, I already changed size of the image

You're welcome! Thanks! :thumbup:

Yeah, this happens to me too. I make "custom" minifigs, and pulling an arm out just once can leave a crack. I have a Rebooted Lloyd and I didn't remove his arms at all, and he still has an ity bit of a crack. The arm still works though.

Turns out that it cracked because I made Lloyd hold both handlebars on a motorcycle, which must have pushed one or both arms in opposite directions. This also happened when I made a minifig hold a long reach weapon with both arms, another crack. So if you want to be safe, don't pull out arms, pose a minifig holding both handlebars, or make it hold something with both hands.

Seriously? Lego should still keep the minifigs they have already, but start a separate project for making some ball joint arms, then sell those separately in different colors. Or it might not attach, so they can sell special minifigs with the arm hole that can switch with other special ones.

Who suffers from these the most are probably stop motioners. They may even have to buy 2 figs.

Yeah, this happens to me too. I make "custom" minifigs, and pulling an arm out just once can leave a crack. I have a Rebooted Lloyd and I didn't remove his arms at all, and he still has an ity bit of a crack. The arm still works though.

Turns out that it cracked because I made Lloyd hold both handlebars on a motorcycle, which must have pushed one or both arms in opposite directions. This also happened when I made a minifig hold a long reach weapon with both arms, another crack. So if you want to be safe, don't pull out arms, pose a minifig holding both handlebars, or make it hold something with both hands.

Seriously? Lego should still keep the minifigs they have already, but start a separate project for making some ball joint arms, then sell those separately in different colors. Or it might not attach, so they can sell special minifigs with the arm hole that can switch with other special ones.

Who suffers from these the most are probably stop motioners. They may even have to buy 2 figs.

thanks for You advice's :)

I haven't switched out arms on a minifigure since I was a kid. With that said, I do have one figure that is cracked - the head on a Lego Movie figure garbageman. The crack is very thin and runs from the bottom of the head almost to the top. I assume it came out of the box that way, since I hadn't noticed it before. I call him Scarface.

I have a Jar-Jar minifig that has been horribly used daily since the beginning of the year. It has been ripped apart and reassembled on a regular basis. It hasn't cracked yet. I do notice it come apart much easier now compared to when I first started the project in January. I have some firefighter figs on display for 30+ years in a fire station. They creak when I move their arms and legs, very stiff. I came across a used fig with a crack in the back at the base of the feet. I don't know if it was abused or a bad batch of ABS or environmental exposure that weaken the plastic or a combination of factors. It does happen but I haven't experienced it that often.

It can happen. Some of my old Classic Space minifigs from the early-mid-eighties have cracks in the backs of the feet, or along the sides of the torso, but they were also very played with. Just putting them on display is going to be safe.

I've had notorious luck with my Superhero figures cracking. Although at this point I don't consider it bad luck really--rather slipping quality of Lego, because come on:

Three of my Iron Man 3 figures all have horribly cracked torsos, my Juniors Green Goblin cracked his torso and one arm, my Scarlet Witch and Black Manta both cracked torsos too. And then there's numerous other cracked torsos I cannot even recount off the top of my head. The issue is (at least in regards to my listed superheroes), I did nothing to them. They came out of the box fine, they were stored neatly in a bag (or on display) with the rest of my figures, and then one day they have a huge fatal gash on their side. Never popped out arms or anything. Just random tears. Either it's weak plastic or there's some minifigure serial killer on the loose.

So now I have to spend a lot of money getting replacements, and it's rather annoying. I find that there's no way to prevent future cracks on the figures--and although some people claim it's random ("you just got a bad figure"; yeah ok, must have bought an entire bad wave :wacko: ), in my opinion it's becoming too common place--Lego quality is slipping. So now everyday I live in fear that more of my superhero figures will get maimed while I sleep! :look:

Oh! :angry: And my original Penguin minifigure too, very recently. Literally just in a display stand with the other original Batman figures and wham!: his torso ripped in half; and after owning him for two+ years, with never an incident. I think it may be time for a quarantine...

I haven't switched out arms on a minifigure since I was a kid.

Oh come on, don't tell me you don't want to, right? Haven't you felt like this one person would look better with a different color arms instead?

They came out of the box fine, they were stored neatly in a bag (or on display) with the rest of my figures, and then one day they have a huge fatal gash on their side. Never popped out arms or anything. Just random tears. Either it's weak plastic or there's some minifigure serial killer on the loose.

You mean in individual bags? Because that is very scary, since I store my figures like that. Could it possibly have to do with heat?

I did nothing to them. They came out of the box fine, they were stored neatly in a bag (or on display) with the rest of my figures, and then one day they have a huge fatal gash on their side. Never popped out arms or anything

Maybe they cracked because You made them hold both handlebars for example on a motorcycle, which must have pushed one or both arms in opposite directions. Maybe this also happened when You made a minifig hold a long reach weapon with both arms, another crack ?? hard to belive you didn`t do nothing and cracks appear just like that maybe heat or sunlight?

You mean in individual bags? Because that is very scary, since I store my figures like that. Could it possibly have to do with heat?

Some in individual bags, but mostly in large group bags.

Maybe they cracked because You made them hold both handlebars for example on a motorcycle, which must have pushed one or both arms in opposite directions. Maybe this also happened when You made a minifig hold a long reach weapon with both arms, another crack ?? hard to belive you didn`t do nothing and cracks appear just like that maybe heat or sunlight?

Nope nothing. Stored in a drawer, so no sunlight. And I hate paying for heating so it's rather cold in my apartment. :grin:

It's just sporadic cracking--even on figures that I never used, never placed things in their hands, never placed on bikes. Just cracking. There is no way to prevent that.

Hi There,

I recently start to collecting lego. :wink:

Reading internet I found topics about cracks on mini-figures torso, hands, and legs, so I got few questions because I want to buy more expensive license set and I don't want my mini-figures to crack.

1. Can does cracks appear simply by putting mini-figures on the shelf (not playing and disassembling parts)

2. Cracks on mini-figures are common problem? how many of you have cracks mini-figures?

3. What can i do to prevent cracks?

About 2 weeks ago my Rey minifigure randomly snapped when I turned her arm. LEGO's sending me a replacement, should be here this week... but yeah recently I've been noticing cracks in brand new minifigues I haven't touched since I assembled them.

I've had many figures crack. I can't agree with people that say they will never crack under normal circumstances, because they most definitely do crack, even without touching them. I've had a few figures that were cracked IN the box before any human hands touched them. And of course since they are licensed you have to jump through many hoops to get a replacement (if they replace at all, I've been hit/miss with them).

Poison Ivy was cracked along the side and arm where the hand is. I had an Admiral Ackbar figure from the most recent A-Wing crack just from standing on a shelf, not even clutched to anything. But the entire torso had a huge slit through it and the leg/hip assembly disintegrated. The other figures from the same set were with it and they were still okay.

It really is hit/miss with their quality. And it is unfortunate since minifigures are what is collectible about LEGO. But I guess I don't have to worry about it being valued at anything in the future since most figures will be damaged by then anyway.

All my sets owned from 80s til now had no any cracks, but sets i bought via ebay and specially Bricklink, have many cracks on arms, Torsos and Back of the legs. So it is the matter how you take care of your minifigure and how hard (abnormal) way you play with them :)....

an Example: my Minifigures from set 6085 ( Black Monarch's Castle ) has no any issue + plus they look like new

So now everyday I live in fear that more of my superhero figures will get maimed while I sleep! :look:

This is what keeps me away from buying more expensive set because like some one here said figurines are the collectible parts of LEGO, I don't want to check them every month if they got cracks. If I spend money I want quality especialy from LEGO.

How you feel about this? You got 100+ figurines You don't worry that more expensive once will crack?