Sign in to follow this  
toorayay

[MOC] Octopus Modular Japanese Restaurant

I'd like to take you to another stop in my burgeoning modular LEGO city! Today's visit is to the Octopus Japanese Restaurant, where minifigs flock for authentic Asian cuisine!

14510628583_4b8b840981_c.jpg

Here's Octopus! The torii and rock garden help to allure hungry diners to the restaurant. If you're in the mood for sushi or hibachi, you've arrived at the right place.

14490504285_5f78bd8f5a_c.jpg

Around back, we can see the open air dining area.

14303912738_de4fb4d239_c.jpg

A closeup view of the dining area in the back of the restaurant.

14467396656_323bb73982_c.jpg

Now for a look inside! Here's the ground floor. The sushi bar is to the right, with a casual dining area to the left.

14510632683_7b153cab62_c.jpg

Another look at the ground floor. There's a sink in the prep area near the sushi bar, some decorative items on the wall, and a restroom under the stairs.

14510633083_306db859a2_c.jpg

One of the most alluring aspects of the ground floor is the large aquarium, dividing the sushi bar and table settings and giving the restaurant a calm atmosphere. There's even a light feature in the aquarium to further enhance the experience.

14489293922_8b47fccb09_c.jpg

Here's a look at the bathroom. It's a small space but it has what's necessary. But now, let's travel up the stairs to the next floor:

14467395526_c9b71be040_c.jpg

The next level has two hibachi tables. The hibachi is very popular for large parties and business meetings. The chefs are very skilled and put on a highly entertaining show. To the right, another chef prepares food for preparation at the table.

14487136651_c3e48e1cd9_c.jpg

Some friends are enjoying sake and miso soup before their entree is served.

14489244144_595e58c7cf_c.jpg

Swinging doors separate the kitchen area from the patrons in the main dining area.

14489292092_3b61f01bd1_c.jpg

And now, let's go up one final flight of stairs, which really picks up after hours:

14489243104_f34a3129c7_c.jpg

The top floor contains a karaoke bar and lounge! Patrons sing their hearts out to their favorite songs, but occasionally a professional entertainer puts on her kimono for a performance on selected nights.

14303913308_c0fbffd168_c.jpg

Dark curtains help keep an ambient vibe and another aquarium and flowers keep the patrons happy. And for musical accompaniment, a full sized piano sits on the stage.

14303882700_0333912e8d_c.jpg

Our featured performer hopes you enjoyed your evening at Octopus!

Check out more pictures on my Flickr page!

Nice work. The tiled roof is very nice.

That is a lot nicer than the Japanese restaurants where I live.

AWESOME modular 'toorayay'.....I especially love the tiled roof feature....I never though of using those vehicle parts before for that :thumbup: - I might even try that myself at some stage.

Brick On 'tooorayay' ! :grin:

Hahahahaha! I saw the thread title and my heart sank as I'm working on the finishing touches to the facade of my own Japanese restaurant but I'm a final BL order and probably a few days behind you!

But your's is excellent! The facade and the red doorway structure is really good and the approach you've used for the roof is very effective. But it's your interior that stands out - there's some nice design touches (I used the same decorated glass panels).

Congratulations!

Gorgeous use of official Lego Asian stickers and printed parts! I love all the details on each level, very realistic! I also like your part use for your speakers, that's a great use of that piece!

Nice! The interior details on this are just fantastic, especially the karaoke floor.

On the outside, I particularly like how you did the entrance and the roof. Great use of those little red dragon pieces on the facade too!

This MOC doesn't fall short than any other official Lego kit. In fact, I'd say it's much better. Great work! I especially like the colors combo.

Edited by yohai71

Very cool! I absolutely love the roof and the stickered/printed elements. Nicely done! :thumbup:

Wow, you've got some great parts use going on in this MOC. Really liking that roof design, so perfect. The little decorations on the walls spice up the rooms nicely as well.

Wow! This is really nice! The roof is pretty special!

The interior is really nice and Japanese-like! Especially the teppanyaki counter.

Wow and just wow! This whole modular is filled with amazing details from the interior and it just felt right, like how you have captured the real atmosphere.

Love it! Are the japanese-themed stickers on the doors/walls custom or come from a set? And what is that knob next to the dining area at the back doing on the wall? Some kind of mechanism in the aquarium?

Amazing! The interior of the different storys are perfect! I like the aquarium! :)

I'm delighted to check back today to see so many kind words about this one. To address a few comments and questions:

I especially love the tiled roof feature....I never though of using those vehicle parts before for that

I had a few laying around for some design testing, and then found a dealer on Bricklink that had hundreds of them in that speckled chrome black color for just a couple of cents each, so my decision to use them was a no-brainer at that point. I'm happy with how they turned out.

Hahahahaha! I saw the thread title and my heart sank as I'm working on the finishing touches to the facade of my own Japanese restaurant but I'm a final BL order and probably a few days behind you!

I felt the same way when I found some other similar designs on Eurobricks before posting this one. Particularly, this one by Hobbythom which has some similar design elements to mine (although I didn't see it until after I completed mine.) That one is fantastic, by the way.

Are the japanese-themed stickers on the doors/walls custom or come from a set? And what is that knob next to the dining area at the back doing on the wall? Some kind of mechanism in the aquarium?

All of the stickers and printed elements are from sets, mainly from Ninjago sets. The knob in the back activates a light brick in the fish tank, which I didn't get a good picture of when lit. Here's a link to it, but it's a bit blurry so I didn't include it in the thread.

I'll be posting some more modular creations and other pics from my newly-remodeled town soon as well.