TalonCard

Peril in Pirate Cove comic...

peril_in_pirate_cove-episode_1-page_1-newsletter_preview.jpg

<div style="width: 400px; background:#F8E2BA; padding: 10px 2px; margin: 5px auto; border: 1px solid #D1B98F;">Read the 3 Episode Series</div>

In my quest to track down everything LEGO Pirate related, I've come across a few things that have taken me by surprise. One is the comic "Peril in Pirate Cove", which was actually an ad that ran in Disney Adventures magazines in 1993. These LEGO comics were typically serialized across several issues. I had the first installment in the April 1993 issue, and finally found the May 1993 issue, hoping to read the last part, and also get the collectors cards that typically came with the final installment.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the comic actually ran for three parts, not two! And the June 1993 issue is apparently particularly expensive because it has Michael Jackson on the cover. :pir_laugh2: Does anyone here have the third part of the comic?

We now have the third episode so get reading!

TC

Read the 3 Episode Series

I'm pretty most people haven't read the first two comics. So maybe we could pool resources and get the entire series - if we can find somebody with the third part.

TalonCard, any chance of getting scans of the comics?

TalonCard, any chance of getting scans of the comics?

Phes, absolutely! Actually, I was going to ask you about that; I know I had planned on scanning a number of LEGO Pirate things that I have (I've got some magazines and all of the Ladybird books), but I couldn't remember if I'd ever actually done any of them. Since then I've gotten my own scanner, so it should be a little easier.

Should I start an account on a photo sharing site, or could these be hosted on Classic-Pirates?

TC

We can host them on Classic-Pirates.com if you like.

We could also create a webpage for them so future generations can easily access them.

AFOLs would salute you for years to come!

Please do post the comics away. It would be somewhat equivalent of the Odyssey for those interested in pirate Lego. Much thanks and good luck!

Phes, I sent the comic scans to you for hosting and posting. :)

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Which address did you send them to? I don't seem to have anything come through - maybe it would be a good idea to continue this discussion in PM.

These are pretty neat. Kinda reminds me of that other old pirate comic they made. Thanks for the scans!

Off topic:

I'm pretty...

:pir_laugh2: Im SURE you didn't mean that literally.

(Actually I'd really say you are pretty awesome!)

I was wondering that myself.

Maybe those who produced the comic (I assume the LEGO Group enlisted a third-party to do so) weren't well informed of the minifigure names.

I was wondering that myself.

Maybe those who produced the comic (I assume the LEGO Group enlisted a third-party to do so) weren't well informed of the minifigure names.

Well, LEGO minfigure names weren't standardized in every country during the 90's. In the US, the Imperial Guard leader was Governor Broadside, just a different version. I didn't even know that Admiral Woodhouse existed as a character until I discovered the Eurobricks forums...

Phes, there should be a fourth page to the first episode...is it there, and I'm just not seeing it? Or did I only send you five pages?

TC

In the US, the Imperial Guard leader was Governor Broadside, just a different version.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate from the catalogue scans I've seen, maybe I need go back and revist the USA catalogs.

Phes, there should be a fourth page to the first episode...is it there, and I'm just not seeing it? Or did I only send you five pages?

The fourth page is on its way!

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate from the catalogue scans I've seen, maybe I need go back and revist the USA catalogs.

To the best of my knowledge, the US catalogs from 1992-1995 don't mention any of the Imperial Guards by name. The Skull's Eye Schooner box did imply that Broadside was the leader of the Imperial Guards, which seems to line up with this comic:

"The Pirates, led by Captain Redbeard, are a powerful force of renegades. No Imperial treasure is safe when these seafaring mates are around. Their sailing ships are as fast as anything in the Imperial fleet. Their island outposts are fortified and well hidden. Whether on sea or land, they are a strong adversary for Governor Broadside and the Imperial Guards."

In retrospect, as a kid in '92 I must have just assumed the Imperial Guard leader was Broadside based on their visual similarities, but the box and comic did eventually confirm my assumptions.

I don't think Woodhouse ever appeared in the US promotional materials, unless it was in something I've been unable to get a hold of. There are still Brick Kicks issues featuring Pirates, pre-1994 Shop at Home catalogs, and the 1994 Islander issue of the Mania Magazine that might hold more information...the hunt continues...

TC

To the best of my knowledge, the US catalogs from 1992-1995 don't mention any of the Imperial Guards by name.

You're probably right then, I haven't looked at the US material for a long time now, nor do I have the time to refresh my memory.

The Skull's Eye Schooner box did imply that Broadside was the leader of the Imperial Guards, which seems to line up with this comic:

There are still Brick Kicks issues featuring Pirates, pre-1994 Shop at Home catalogs, and the 1994 Islander issue of the Mania Magazine that might hold more information...the hunt continues...

We need to acquire and add a lot more scans to Classic-Pirates.com, don't we?

I vaguely recall reading one of these in a supermarket isle when I was 9. Unfortunately my 'rents never bought any of these for me so I don't have any of them.

Fortunately, I do recall stumbling a website that had uploaded scans of the comics, but that was two or three years ago and I don't remember what the website was. The hunt is on!

Fortunately, I do recall stumbling a website that had uploaded scans of the comics, but that was two or three years ago and I don't remember what the website was.

Was it these comics in particular or just general LEGO comics?

Was it these comics in particular or just general LEGO comics?

I'm pretty sure it was these ones. When I was little, I remember being super jealous of Jack the Lego Maniac. You don't easily forget an ad campaign like that ;-)

While this has been uploaded to Classic-Pirates.com for a few days now, I think we should blog it as well to make more people aware of the comic!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

...soon

Well, it took some doing, but I finally found the June issue, and the last part of this comic. :pir-classic: Phes has been kind enough to post the scans from it here. Just scroll all the way down to read the last part, and to check out the collector cards that came with the magazine.

Thanks again to classic-pirates.com for hosting these! It's been great to share them with other fans.

Adrick

I'm not sure if these comics are wonderful or awful. :pir-tongue:

"Man, this LEGO System Pirate Set is way cool!"

Oh, heavy-handed 1990s advertising campaigns. :pir_laugh2:

I'm not sure if these comics are wonderful or awful.

:pir_laugh2: Besides the plugs, I enjoyed them, and I wish LEGO still came up with these backstories/comics for their sets.

Edited by Skipper

Great job TalonCard! Now we have the complete comic on our website! Just like the last time, I'll blog it!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]...soon!

To the best of my knowledge, the US catalogs from 1992-1995 don't mention any of the Imperial Guards by name. The Skull's Eye Schooner box did imply that Broadside was the leader of the Imperial Guards, which seems to line up with this comic:

"The Pirates, led by Captain Redbeard, are a powerful force of renegades. No Imperial treasure is safe when these seafaring mates are around. Their sailing ships are as fast as anything in the Imperial fleet. Their island outposts are fortified and well hidden. Whether on sea or land, they are a strong adversary for Governor Broadside and the Imperial Guards."

In retrospect, as a kid in '92 I must have just assumed the Imperial Guard leader was Broadside based on their visual similarities, but the box and comic did eventually confirm my assumptions.

I don't think Woodhouse ever appeared in the US promotional materials, unless it was in something I've been unable to get a hold of. There are still Brick Kicks issues featuring Pirates, pre-1994 Shop at Home catalogs, and the 1994 Islander issue of the Mania Magazine that might hold more information...the hunt continues...

TC

I believe in the vast majority of cases the blue coated leader was referred to as Governor Broadside (notably so in the lego books like THIS one) and the red coated leader was referred to as Admiral Woodhouse. This comic seems to be the strange exception and was potentially a screw up?

Edit: I've now seen what I said is consistent with the LEGO Pirates Wikipedia article... for what that's worth.

Edited by Weil