alois

Modular Madness: Café "The Corner"

indexed.gif B-OM-22E

When I first read about this contest, I knew I had to participate. So here's my entry:

7501234400_c2fe614136_c.jpg

It's a bar on a corner in a Dutch town. It is called "'t Hoekje"(which means "The little corner"), for obvious and multiple reasons. It was built in the 19th century in the Dutch renaissance-revival style, and afterwards an extension with a sunroof was added to provide more seating for the café. This was actually the first part I built, due to the fact that I wanted to do something with the solar panel pieces. It has two typically Dutch 'neck gables':

7501230060_f1a417f835_c.jpg

I added the piano to show the purpose of the hoist beam on top of the gable.

It also features a complete interior, with the actual bar on the first floor:

7501234070_5d78fb1d4c_c.jpg

The interior of the extension can be seen here:

7501231736_59ae0a78a7_c.jpg

On the second floor there is a bachelor pad with a living room/kitchen (and a separate sleeping chamber):

7501233310_c56c2c4019_c.jpg

There is also an attic, but this doesn't have an interior, although the piano may find its place there, if it fits through the window...

There are more pictures on my flickr-account.

Wow this is really nice! Tell me, How did you manage to build the floor on the first floor sideways like that? It's a very interesting technique that gives a cool pattern.

Great job! :thumbup:

Edited by TheBricktator

WOW! This is a real contender in this competition. There are too many things good about this to point out so overall, great job! :thumbup:

This is greatly detailed and love the architecture of it. The two tone roof with white accents on the brown really make this modular stand out.

Great entry, and good luck in the contest. :thumbup::classic:

Veery nice! It just has a great feel to it. Love the floor technique and love the overall non-squareness of it. Excellent MOC!

Very nicely done! I like the Cafe sign and the detailing over the door.

The floor pattern is my favorite though :thumbup:

That's an awesome M.O.C. !

I like everything, especially the glass roof and the black concrete sticks (sorry, I even don't know the French for such things) : they are brillant.

Good job !

...and the black concrete sticks (sorry, I even don't know the French for such things) : they are brillant.

Good job !

I'm not sure what the English name for them is, probably something unpoetic like "crash pole", but I think that's what the yellow posts on either side of the garage on the Fire Brigade are.

That diagonal tile really stands out. The Cafe sign and glass over the patio is a nice touch. Excellent job

I like that it doesn't feel like the typical "apartment over a business" formula even though it is an apartment over a business.

I also like how you used the short stairs to raise your bar level so you could have the diagonal floor treatment. I don't think it would have been quite as interesting if you had a door leading to the outside from that room with the floor being raised just one brick level.

As far as your neck gables, how do you have the upside down price of persia arches attached? Despite my entry being a big box, I like how your shape isn't filling the vertical space with a big box. Good parts usage with those rectangular cross-braced pieces (whatever the offical term is) on cafe's covered patio; I like not only how you didn't feel like you had to use them on the left side, but also how you simulated a sliding-widow with the two window pieces.

I knew what the posts on the gables were for, but do dutch buildings really use different ones on the same structure (square and round on yours)? I guess in this case it was two individual buildings that were converted into a single business.

Very nice techniques here and the bar keeps getting raised.

Judging is going to be really hard.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Fantastic building! As it was said before, there's too many interesting details. Just to point out, my favorite is the diagonal floor. Really well done!

I love it! Just like many others, I'm a huge fan of that diagonal floor. Great use of different techniques to make it happen.

I'm not sure what the English name for them is, probably something unpoetic like "crash pole", but I think that's what the yellow posts on either side of the garage on the Fire Brigade are.

They're called bollards in English.

This looks great, I really like the balcony and roofwork in particular. Best of luck in the contest! :thumbup:

This is a great entry in every way - I love the overall shape of it, the architecture, the modern extension with the glass roof, the interior and - obviously - that floor. An extraordinary modular building. Well done!

As far as your neck gables, how do you have the upside down price of persia arches attached?

They're attached with clips on the backside.

I knew what the posts on the gables were for, but do dutch buildings really use different ones on the same structure (square and round on yours)? I guess in this case it was two individual buildings that were converted into a single business.

I just tried to make the two gables different in a lot of details, to keep them interesting. For a part, they need to be different because of the different scale (12 studs vs. 16 studs).