xwingyoda

The Lego Shop Database

Guys,

Because some of us are about to go on vacations, I want to offer each of us a little tour of where to buy Lego.

It is very usefull to know this sort of things, dont you think ;)

Please provide our community (us ;) ) with the best shops in your town where we can find our precious sets ;)

Thanks in advance for helping in the creation of this needed database ;)

Here is just a simple rule: post your shops (with the address) and comments on those shops (variety, prices compared to S@H, PAB??...). Do I have to tell you guys that this thread will be kept clean, I really don't want to police you guys, so lets behave, yeah baby yeah ;)

Let me then start this Database with Wonderful Paris, France ;)

In Paris:

1) Jou

Okay, let me give you some more local infos ;)

Just for clarification: I'll talk about the shops I know here in Aachen!

Intertoys:

They often have nice sales on Lego sets, I can recommand to check those stores from time to time!

(Some examples: Sopwith Camel - 20 Eur, HP Aragog set - 15 Eur as far as I remember, 20% off at all Lego sets at last christmas season, SW first Minis 1,99 each,...)

Walmart:

At the local Walmart they often have sales too, e.g. they had the whole Orient Expedition line 50% off!

Globus:

They always have Lego sets on sale, not as good as the other two shops mentioned above, but nonetheless sales ;)

Teddy & Co:

Our largest toy store in Aachen, all sets are standard S@H / TLC prices, BUT they have the rummage tub!

What I can't recommand from my experiences:

Kaufhof / Lust for Life:Both have all sets for the same price you get them at S@H. But maybe you can still find a 80 Euro Falcon there!

Ok, I might as well post some Lego Shop details for the UK (maybe Sam or someone else can help me out too).

Argos

Usually has new Lego sets in on time (unlike some other UK stores) and tend to have promotions/deals (eg, early ARC fighter)

Woolworths

Doesn't tend to be very good for new sets, and there is not really a big selection of sets there. But it can be good for small cheap sets, tends to be minis etc..

Toymaster

This is one of the best stores. Sets tend to be in a little later then when they are released but usually have them all. The prices are a little higher than S@H but there are a few sales when new sets are about to be brought in.

TK-Maxx

Described by someone here as "a giant jumble sale" this store has to offer what ever you can find. Lego sets are mixed in with shoes and clothes etc.. but the prices are quite good, most items are reduced but there isn't a lot to choose from.

These are all I can think of for now, but I may add others as I think of them :)

Jon.

For France again, especialy if you live in Nancy

Joupi

Usually get lego sets for a little bit less than the normal price (tends to change lately...). They also sometimes have full loads of promo sets at small prices.

Theres also in the UK:

The Entertainer

A great shop for picking sets up on the cheap, and there online store is good too.

Walmart

Again they seem to get the sets in early and reduce them quickly.

Also check out all the big department stores, sometimes you can pick up sets from them.

Right now, for parts of Flanders i live in, it's more a question of what sets are available than what price they have. this list is also far from complete and only based on what I know

Antwerp city:

Bart smith: they have shops all over the country, very often rather limited in number of different sets. it depends on how large the shop is. Prices are normally TLC's, or close to what TLC is asking, they do have a stand with small sets at lower prices...

Blokker : is not a regular toy shop but a shop for all sorts of goods. they do have lego and have sales from time to time. if you're lucky, you will find good deals there, especially if they have to clear off shelves for new products

't kruitvat: again, not a regular toy shop, but you can have good deals there from time to time. they very often only have a small number of sets, like duplo, x-pods, basic theme sets, tubs...

Deurne:

(just outside the city of Antwerp, on the road to the largest Shopping center in Belgium, called Wijnegem shopping center)

Ultima second hand toy shop: they used to have lots of "old" and "new" second hand sets, today they're range of lego products is fairly limited, sometimes, you'll find rare sets there. not so long ago they had three or four futuristic space trains, and star wars from time to time

Speelgoed 2000: a few houses away from the former shop: a classic toy shop, not a part of a chain. all sorts of new sets of old and new themes. they used to have a lot of old sets, but i basically bought all of those :P :P now they more or less only have some old lego technic sets and the new stuff. prices are TLC's...

Wijnegem Shopping center:

apart from Blokker, Bart smith, 't Kruitvat, there also is "Intertoys"

Makro: they used to have a lot of lego, at lower prices than TLC's, but it's limited these days. Makro is a wholesaler, you can't get in without a member card

There is a classic toy shop further down the road in Wijnegem center: they have the regular lines, but left overs are possible...

I recommend:

FUN: really large toy shop, with pab boxes from time to time:

you can find addresses here:

http://www.fun.be/ + select "winkels"

DREAMLAND: also very large , with pab from time to time:

you can find addresses here:

http://www.dreamland.be/nl.html + select "info" than "winkels"

to my knoledge, they are the only ones to have the current star wars line, prices are normally TLC's or close to TLC's...

Well for anyone going to Minnesota US there are a number of stores with something worth looking at.

Kmart has some sales and clearance a month before new sets come out, usually January and June. Some stores are different than others in that some have clearance others do not or clearance prices don't always match. There are three in the Duluth area, West Duluth, Mill Hill mall area, and over the bridge in Superior. Kmart is often hit or miss.

Walmart generally has the poorest Lego selection of all the retail stores. Clearance and sales are always hit or miss. It is generally the mid-sized $30-50 sets that can be found on clearance. There are three near Duluth in Hermantown, Cloquet and Superior.

Target has a large section of Lego. The sales are a little fewer in the busy summer monthes and pick up near the holiday season. They rarely are out of anyone set as they get them in frequently. There clearance is usually very predictable in that they will always mark down certain sets at certain times of the year. Once marked down the usually follow the progression of 2 weeks at 33% off, two weeks at 50% off one week at 75% off and then gone. The sets fly off the shelves at 505 so only the worst sets are left come 75% off. There are two in the Duluth area. One by the miller hill mall and the other in Superior.

KBToys/toy liquidators, offer some better deals on older sets. Sometimes they even have sets from up to four years ago. Toyliquidators deal only in clearance sets. There are no stores in my direct area but there are a few within a 1-3 hour drive.

Toys R Us has the largest and best selection of sets. They seem to get lots of exclusives. They often have BOGO 50% off on sets. Also, they carry some of the larger sets other stores won't. Clearance is generally yearly with the green tag sales. The is one in Duluth near the Miller Hill Mall and ther are many more near the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Lego stores are becoming more prevelant also. Many are located on the east and west coast with a few in the middle of the country. The closest one to me is in the Mall of America. They always have neat little bits you can't get anywhere else and the PaB is decent to great depending on who has been through it or what has come in recently. There are some big spenders in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and I think they snap up the best stuff right away.

I know that other stores carry Lego but these are the prominent ones in the frozen north of the midwest.

The dollar stores also at time carry LEGO, though mostly the awful sports LEGO stuff nobody wants.

You may if you have time want to check garage sales or thrift stores as people do find once in a lifetime bargains at them. These are very hit or miss. Never able to constantly find LEGO.

Large resellers like Goodwill and Savers are also posibilities. It is rare that you find much of anything good but you can usually find something.

The US is so large it is hard to tell what stores are the best. If you plan on traveling to the US I recommend you look at the LUG map on lugnet and try to get in touch with them. If you plan on visiting Duluth, Minnesota let me know and you can stay at my house for free and I will show you every place that may have a deal or sale if you like.

UK

Alders seems to reduce fastand they have pretty resonable stock, just find one with a toy department ;)

Thanks SuvieD for the US post. In the central Florida (think Mickey Mouse) area you can check out

the following store...

Lego Imagination Center Orlando (Home of Orlego)

In The Downtown Disney Marketplace

1672 East Buena Vista Drive

Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

USA

Phone: (407) 828-0065

Fax: (407) 828-0059

Hours:

Sun-Thurs 9:30am-11:00pm

Fri-Sat 9:30am-11:30pm

Toys R Us

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - OCOEE [8751]

9489 WEST COLONIAL DRIVE

OCOEE, FL 34761

Tel: (407)578-5224

Hours:

Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm

Sun 11:00am-6:00pm

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - ORLANDO [8726]

1631 FLORIDA MALL AVENUE

ORLANDO, FL 32809

Tel: (407)859-4831

Hours:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - ORLANDO [8725]

730 HERNDON AVENUE

ORLANDO, FL 32802

Tel: (407)896-4220

Hours:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - ALTAMONTE SPRINGS [8724]

350 EAST ALTAMONTE DRIVE

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL 32701

Tel: (407)834-7300

Hours:

TOYS"R"US/KIDSRUS - SANFORD [8745]

101 TOWN CENTER BOULEVARD

SANFORD, FL 32771

Tel: (407)330-1335

Hours:

For more locations please read SuvieD's post.

In Holland things are going slowly:

We have Intertoys, but they don't have any EPIII sets (Yet).

Bart Smit has the smal sets

In Hoogvliet ( between Rotterdam and Spijkenisse): Speelgoedland

the owner of the shop is a fan to, so when I went there on 30th of april he had all the EPIII sets,

he also had the UCS Snowspeeder.

When you are near Rotterdam you should always go there, you never know whats in the store.

Ok, I might as well post some Lego Shop details for the UK (maybe Sam or someone else can help me out too).

Jon.

Embarrassing as it sounds I've seen some wipeout prices (50p) in Tescos...

God Bless,

Nathan

I no whats in every Pab store in the World. Thats one of the bonuses of being a Brickish member. But I dout they would let me post the inventries in Eurobricks...

about the Kingston shop:

It's located in the new shopping centre of Kingston, 2nd floor

you can easily reach Kingston by train or by the underground. the tube will bring you all the way to Richmond, which is not very far from Kingston. once you're there, you can get the train to Wimbledon. Kingston is stop 5, i believe. If you take the train from Waterloo to Kingston, it'll cost you 14 pounds (incl. return). the shopping centre is just 10 minutes walk, you can see it from the station.

the shop itself is not very spectaclar, it has an average pab, and most of the sets. when i was there, there was also a huge box with minifig parts. you can build your own minifigs (1

In the Southwestern USA (Arizona, more specifically Northern Arizona):

Apologies as I do not have specific addresses for these stores (If anyone is/will be in the area and needs addresses I will be more than happy to post them :-D ). Also apologies in advance if this list is too similar to Orlego's or SuvieD's lists (I don't think the US is that different from state to state).

- KayBEE toys usually has older sets and sometimes a good deal. For the most part they seem to either have really good prices (especially on the older sets) or outrageous prices (about 5$ more on average for newer sets, i.e. Ep III sets).

- Walmart tends to have a decent selection of Lego on the shelf. One big benefit is the clearance aisle/section. On many occasions I have got sets such as the 8781 The Castle of Morcia (I know not the best castle out there...) for 15$ (So I bought 2 ;) ). If you have the time, and you check often (especially after Christmas) you can find outrageous deals!

- Target at least locally, they seem to have a dwindling selection on the shelf. Clearance items are pretty much non-existent at my local Target, but I have been to some larger Targets in other cities with a large selection (including many clearance sets). I guess it depends on where you go.

- Sears isn't always the place most people think of for Lego but if you check after Christmas you might be surprised what you will find. I got 9 of the Maximum Wheels Creator Set (I think its set# 4100), for 18$ total! Another one of those stores where you just have to play it by ear, you might find a great deal.

- ToysR'US isn't in my immediate area but they are worth going out of the way for. Although not as much as I remember seeing years ago, they still keep a pretty good stock of Lego and for the most part have competitive pricing. Occasionally they have a deal that makes them better than the other stores in the area but usually they are at least the same price (with better selection).

- KMart is hit or miss like Target. At least in my experience, KMart might have that new set you can't find anywhere else or virtually no Lego at all *wacko* :'(. Still worth looking though!

- Flea Markets/Swap Meets I have found can be good places to shop for Lego (and other interesting junk ;) ). Only problem with these is that people sometimes have an inflated sense of value in what they are selling. As always use your best judgement.

Finally, as mentioned before garage sales can be great places to shop around. If you drive through residential neighborhoods on any weekend you are bound to come across a dozen garage sales and maybe one or two with some Lego. A lot of times it seems the folks selling them don't understand their value (to the buyers benefit) and so they may sell you some old/rare/expensive sets for next to nothing.[/i][/b]

In Canada, there is also:

Winners

Selection is poor, but when they have stuff it is always at least 40% off, usually 50% or more. Best deal was Yoda for $20 Canadian in a beaten up box.

www.winners.ca

Gyl

There's 3 LEGO stores in the Chicago IL USA location. I just went into detail under the "LEGO STORE CHIGAGO, REALLY STINKS!!!" thread. You can see the details there. If your headed this way feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to give you an update or awnser specific questions!

Ken

knandjn<remove>@hotmail.com

we finally have a pick a brick in Belgium. it's part of the Fun toystores. the yellow bags are quite small, about half the size of the traditional white lego bags. they're 8.99

in the USA:

Wal-mart: doesnt have a great selection, but hey, if teh prices are cheap.... Buy It!

K-mart: they usaully have soem fairly new sets at a decent price, but are usaully farther away.

Toys-R-Us: they have a great selection... prices ar high (whenever i go) and they rarley have many sales. they do have a large lego section! HUGE!!!!

big-lots: usaully... NONE!!!!!

pamida: usually some old dino transformer thingies ( the ones where they change into a different dino when you rebuild them) and some weird old ones.

~um i cant really think of any more.... Oh yeah!

aldi's: usually have some smaller sets around 3.99. (yeah always that price)

well those are mostly all in the USA. i am in the USA in ohio.

~crispen

In Bellevue Washington (kinda random, I know ;) )

Lego store: Bellevue square

Toys R' Us: Nearby (don't know exactly where, never been there myself)

in boston area massachusetts

any target or walmart or other toy store

lego stores at the natick mall and soloman pond mall

In my home town of St.Albans (a small town outside of london) there isn't that much apart form the local Woolies but there is a small toyshop called Ryders which usually has a good selection. They have the new knights kingdom and new Star Wars sets.