iam new to inventor 2011 and iam trying to design some new parts for lego. first is a planetary hub which is able to use with standard lego rims.

the vehicle side is made now. in opposite to the turntablebase it has a extra hole for steering axles.

12132446536_eb6c8e3c2b_z.jpg

Screenshot 2014-01-25 12.46.11 von efferman auf Flickr

what do you think the wheel side should can do? should it have a crossaxle or pin connectors for 3/6 hole rims?

if you see errors on the part, i have only some hours with inventor till now.

Edited by efferman

The extra holes are not needed. The normal turntable plate is good as it is. What we do need to see is the inside of the hub.

Looks great! I can't really tell which parts are fixed and which spin, but I assume the part with the pin connectors is attached to the dish with 4 holes in it (sorry not sure what to call it)? And, that dish snaps into the turntable and spins freely?

I would love to see LEGO offer something like this.

Its a standard turntable rotor (dark bluish gray), with a new hub attached, that rotates just as the other turntable half with the teeth (black) would.

yes, because the 4 to 1 reduction is enough and other combinations would increase the overall size. and the third reason, bigger gears i have not made yet :blush:

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I like the hole in the center. That would support the sun gear nicely.

Is there anything that would prevent the planet gears from working loose and falling out of the turntable side?

BTW, nice Inventor drawings. I recently installed Inventor as well, but have not played around with it.

Is there anything that would prevent the planet gears from working loose and falling out of the turntable side?

like my actual planetary rims i have to place some liftarms at the outside to prevent the gears for falling off

Good looking hub. :classic: It is interesting times now when people can even think about designing their own parts. Wasn't always like that. :cry_sad:

Looks nice, but a small recommendation. There are 4 holes (female pins) in the planet carrier part, and 3 (male) pins on the other side. Such 'asymmetry' would make for an 'odd' part. Might be worthwhile to reduce the number of planet gears to only 3. Also, the pin holes on the planet carrier might be difficult to mold (though not an issue for 3D printing). Such 4 holes would need to have the diameter stepped up at the other end (for the pins to click/expand/lock). For this to happen, the pin holes must go through the part and come out at the other side ... which is not trivial to do with the 3 male pin connections at the other/outer side.

Edited by DrJB

Yes, this design is probably not possible in a mold. I have tried a 3 planet gear setup, but this let raise the friction so i have skiped this. Maybe a second piece as adaptor between 4 and three holes could solve this problem. But i think in a 3d printer this model should be possible. Or i make a different hub with a five stud diameter multi hole setup and a fitting rim similar to reallife truck rims. Its worth to try

You should be able to get that made quite easily if I got my parts made then you can get your made.... :laugh:

Should you not have a small recess in the main part so that the small lip on the hub fits into it?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Can you make it with more than 4 planetary gears? I am sure you could fit a fifth one without colisions, Or make a bigger version that uses 16 tooth gears, with such pins that the new clutch gears can snap on.

More gears wouldnt have an advantage because the actual setup is really rocksolid. A bigger gearratio would make sense, but i am not sure if i can fit this in a unimog sized rim.

Why not make an additional hole to make this hub optimal for steering, and non steering when make a complete new part? This is not longer a turntable.

I like the hub/wheel part. Is there anyway to get more offset in order to move the steering point inside the wheel. That wheel makes it look like beadlocks.

v/r

Andy

Cool. This two part wheel concept could be used to have multiple wheel designs while using minimum pieces. Many after market wheel companies will do this. One "hoop" and many center hub pieces for whatever offset is needed. This an example of a planetary hub center piece.

v/r

Andy