Sign in to follow this  
Krikkit

LEGO Compatibles: What are peoples stances?

Companies like decool and souptoys have been making a lot of knock off figures, but, they also produce some unique figures that tie in to the super hero franchises.

I have seen big fig Venom, Rhino, the Thing and a Hulkbuster. They also make a variant of Hawkeye that is not a copy of the original, the fantastic four, bullseye and many iron man armours that we will probably never get from TLG.

On the dc front there has been a winter soldier, a batman beyond and a few other prints based on customs such as the Young Justice team.

So I find myself asking... Where do people stand on these figures?

No they do not pay for the rights on these likenesses, but then, nor do people that customise figures and sell them.

They do, however, provide figures that work really well in collections.

Do you believe that they force TLG to produce new figures sooner?

Does anyone feel that with the increase of these big fauxgures, more official big figs are being produced?

Remember, Kreo and Megabloks use the same build system and people are not up in arms against them for their "contributions" to the building block system scene.

Thoughts, views and the like, keep it civil.

I have never bought one, but I am thinking about buying some of the figures that lego does not produce and the SDCC exclusive knock-offs, but for the figures that are a straight up knock-off of lego figures, I only buy the original.

I have similar feelings to WarSquirrel. I have no issues buying the figures that LEGO doesn't make but won't touch the knock offs of official figures. I have some Fantastic Four figures on their way to me so I'm not in a position yet to comment on their quality, but the reviews of others on this site seem fairly positive. I can't imagine them matching the quality of the real figures but if there's a scene I want to recreate, there's no other choice for me as I have zero customizing ability.

My hope is that if these figures become popular enough, LEGO will realize there's a market for them and make their own.

Remember, Kreo and Megabloks use the same build system and people are not up in arms against them for their "contributions" to the building block system scene.

Wait, what? Dude, you realize Megablocks is practically a swearword on most Lego forums...? Like, seriously, many people, myself included, refuse to use them because they're of inferior quality. Regardless of what they might "contribute."

There are multiple topics about this discussion. I have no idea why we need another. I'm always going to be on the same boat. If others like them I don't care. If others don't like them I still don't care. Thank you, have a good night.

The reason I asked is mainly due to the fact that I have placed an order for the Rhino big fig, plus I have purchased The thing, the hulkbuster and the large venom. Personally I love them. Yes they feel slightly lighter than the hulk and the green goblin, but they have been produced from a mold of a custom. In fact we wouldn't have them if not for the custom being made in the first place...

Also, people can get narky about thread necromancy.

There's an 80 page thread over in community about these as I'm sure you're aware. I was under the impression that as these aren't Lego then threads relating will be moved out of the main discussion areas.

We know some people hate them... Some ignore them... Some like the unique figures not produced by Lego and some pick them all up regardless.

I will buy custom printed Lego parts and aftermarket items from vendors that intend their products be used with Lego. Knock off brands, though, are usually low quality plastic and their color pallet is too far off Lego's to be useful.

I find this hypocritical. You condemn any other brand of bricks but it is okay buying those knock offs just because Lego hasn't made them or made them limited supply?

If you feel good thinking "hey I got my Lego Marvel minifigures completed" by having those knock offs on your shelf or in your MOCs then have fun thinking that way. Only thing is they are not Lego and they will never be. And I know some of you like to make justification by saying "Lego should have done stuff like this, released lot of more minifigures, released superheroes minifigures serie" etc etc, it doesn't mean anything. It isn't some random cheap block brand. It is fraud, they are copying the exact designs Lego has and also using Marvel licenses Lego pays for.

So, in my opinion, if you really want a specific minifigures in your collection, you can customize it or buy it from a customizer. Otherwise it is terribly wrong and it is not Lego you are getting. But if you feel having knock offs of the things you want and can't get is good enough, then have fun living with that motto.

I'm generally against all decals including non purist custom minifigs. I'd rather wait for Lego to make it instead of having it floating around my collection. Most decals are awesome but I still stay clear

I wasn't referring to copyrighted material, but custom prints designed by the seller on actual Lego parts. Citizen Brick has some nice designs. I have used Brickforge and Saber Scorpion decals. My objection to other building system brands is quality.

This has been/ is being discussed in Community. I will lock this topic.

One last caveat to those buying these things. The "original" figures that Decool makes are not their own design either. Each one is based on a design stolen from somewhere. The ones not produced by LEGO are designs by either individual private customizers or small custom companies. Decool takes these designs without their permission and mass produces them.