TIE Fighter Collection Review

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the set (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote your opinion

1. Poor (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Below Average (6 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

3. Average (8 votes [20.51%])

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

4. Above Average (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

5. Oustanding (11 votes [28.21%])

Percentage of vote: 28.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ADHO15

ADHO15

• Another day, another hat

Member: 2428

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image
(04.02.09) This is my fourth review. It features:

Product: 10131 TIE Fighter Collection
Theme: Star Wars
No of pieces: 682
Release Date: 2002
RRP: USD $69.99
Featured Episodes: ANH/EU

Lego "Shop at Home" Catalog Description

Unleash the power of the TIE collection!
The Empire's most feared ships fly again in this special Star Wars collection! Complete set includes 4 models: 2 Imperial TIE Fighters, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter and 1 TIE/d Fighter, plus Darth Vader and Imperial TIE pilot minifigures and Droid Brain. Build your fleet today! Ages 8+. 682 pieces.

Posted Image
The set. It includes two standard TIE Fighters, a TIE Advanced x1 and a Droid TIE Fighter that wasn't featured in ANH.

Posted Image
These are the figs involved: Darth Vader, two TIE Pilots and a unique droid brain. The pilots didn't have weapons like they do in new sets.

Posted Image
The 'wing' of each fighter has the Imperial logo in the centre. It is quite detailed.

Posted Image
The front of the ship and cockpit can be seen in this picture.

Posted Image
The back and top of the TIE Fighter.

Posted Image
The TIE Pilot in the cockpit. He has a small control panel in front of him.

Posted Image
The TIE Advanced x1 belonging to the Dark Lord of the Sith himself...

Posted Image
Darth Vader. He's using force choke on you!

Posted Image
The back and top of the TIE Advanced x1 is accurate and detailed.

Posted Image
The Droid TIE Fighter looks very good for a little-known vehicle at the time.

Posted Image
The back of the Droid TIE Fighter.

Posted Image
The droid brain fits in the small cockpit in the top.

I like this set a lot and is worth the money. It has an good price/parts ratio. The fighters are similar if not the same as the individual ones in other sets, apart from the Droid TIE Fighter that is unique to this set (I think, I don't have individual ones). The TIE Advanced x1 doesn't look as this years redesign which has probably lowered the amount it's worth.

Design: 8/10 - All the fighters looks very accurate, apart from, of course, the blue on each one that is not canon but makes them a bit more colourful.
Minifigs: 7/10 - Good, appropriate figs included with one unique droid. The others can be bought in other sets.
Playability: 8/10 - An excellent set to play with. Each fighter has an opening cockpit and can be swooshed about.
Swooshability: 9/10 - The fighters are sturdy and easy to fly around.
Overall: 8/10 - An accurate calculated score.

See the gallery here.

KimT, you can add it to the index if you like. I made it to fill the gap. Also, you may add a vote to it and give any more suggestions.
Posted Image------------Posted Image  -  V2.0 coming soon...
Click here to support my Jedi Temple MOC (pictured) on LEGO Ideas

#2 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

Indexed and poll added
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

#3 pr0visorak

pr0visorak

• Silvery Provo

Member: 3570

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

I think that this set was worth the price but i did not get it since I am only into the clone wars. :classic:  Great job! :thumbup:
2nd Singaporean in Eurobricks and first few to enter the Singapore F1 Night Race on the 1st day!

Today is the Star wars Clone wars Ryloth the trilogy!
Posted Image

#4 Speedy

Speedy

• White Reggaeist

Member: 4268

Posted 05 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, it's great to see the original of the Vader's Tie Fighter which was updated this year.  The new one is a bit slicker, but if I could go back in time, I'd pick this set up too.

Da Shen

I am a Satanist and not ashamed.

My Facebook! My Tumblr

#5 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

i remember this set. its great value 4 ties for $70. less than $20 each :thumbup:

#6 mastertrebor12

mastertrebor12

Member: 7002

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

The "Droid TIE Fighter is actually called a TIE/d Fighter and the odd one out is Sullust
removed by KimT - sig way too big

#7 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

mastertrebor12, your sig pictures are WAY too big

#8 ADHO15

ADHO15

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

View Postmastertrebor12, on Aug 13 2009, 05:00 AM, said:

The "Droid TIE Fighter is actually called a TIE/d Fighter and the odd one out is Sullust

Hi there, mastertrebor. Welcome to Eurobricks!  :sweet:

I know that it is, but many other people here who aren't as big of a Star Wars fan as me may get confused if I called then TIE/d Fighter and TIE/In Fighter, etc. Thanks for pointing that out for people who weren't aware of that, though.

With regards to my game, I'd prefer it if you sent me a PM containing your answer. However, I am well aware that you cannot use the PM system until you've posted 10 times. Because of this, I'd like you to use my thread to avoid off-topic discussion in other threads. Any future questions you have can be posted there too, and you can contact me there at any time as well.
Sullust may be correct, but you must give me a reason for you chosing it, as sometimes, several of the answers can be correct. Feel free to tell me this in my thread.
Thanks for understanding.  :classic:

And about your sig, I totally agree with prateek, they're much too big. If you want to keep those pics in your sig, they'll need to be much smaller. There are tutorials around that can teach you how to do this, although I'm not sure where they are. Try asking a moderator or admin member for advice about this.

See you around!  :wink:

#9 Fumoffu

Fumoffu

Member: 5792

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

Nice review.  This set came out before I seriously got into Lego Star Wars.  I think the newer versions of these (Vader's Tie and Tie Fighter) looks better but I'll get it without hesitation had I been into Lego Star Wars back in those days.

#10 Future74

Future74

Member: 4801

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

Welcome to eurobricks mastertrebor12, you can find tutorals here

I got this set last year and I'm glad I did back than even though the price was steep it's huge now.

For me this set was a must because it contained the two most well known imperial fighters, TIE fighter and TIE advanced x1 from star wars.
Together with the X-wing and/or Y-wing it's possible to re-create (part of) the Death Star run from episode IV. So that's a plus.
I'm not a fool... I'm an AFOL!

My Star Wars Lego sets
My Brickshelf gallery
My MOCs, MODs and Review topic links
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Ratshot

Ratshot

• Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

This was an awesome collection. I wish I had the entire Tie collection, but sadly I am to poor to afford such nice sets :pir_bawling:

Good Job on the review :thumbup:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#12 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Member: 4695

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Well, now that the topic is revived, let's discuss!

ADH, Could you possibly take a comparison pic between the new and old TIE Advanced? I'd love that. Though I already have a TIE Advanced, I still wanna see them together.

Also, I am now inspired to go build a regular TIE Fighter, which I somehow still lack. I had one a long time ago, so now I'll rebuild it, but in the new style!
...I have a Death Star...

#13 ADHO15

ADHO15

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

View PostFumoffu, on Aug 13 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

Nice review.  This set came out before I seriously got into Lego Star Wars.  I think the newer versions of these (Vader's Tie and Tie Fighter) looks better but I'll get it without hesitation had I been into Lego Star Wars back in those days.
Thanks, Fumoffu.

View PostRatshot, on Aug 13 2009, 02:46 PM, said:

This was an awesome collection. I wish I had the entire Tie collection, but sadly I am to poor to afford such nice sets :pir_bawling:

Good Job on the review :thumbup:
Thank you very much, Ratshot.

View PostDarth Legolas, on Aug 13 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

Well, now that the topic is revived, let's discuss!

ADH, Could you possibly take a comparison pic between the new and old TIE Advanced? I'd love that. Though I already have a TIE Advanced, I still wanna see them together.

Also, I am now inspired to go build a regular TIE Fighter, which I somehow still lack. I had one a long time ago, so now I'll rebuild it, but in the new style!
I would love to, Legolas, but I don't have the new one, unfortunately. Even though I don't have it, I think it looks much better than this version and, given the choice, would buy that instead. Seeing as I have this one already, however, and it matches the rest of my TIE fighters, I'm not going to get the new one.

Good luck with that. I hope to see pics here when it's finished.  :thumbup:

Edited by ADHO15, 14 August 2009 - 07:22 AM.

#14 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

I find this set pretty average imo. I find the droid tie fighter just a filler in this set which was a stupid decision by lego. These fighters are very blocky and the tie pilots dont have a lot of detail and the droid brain is just stupid.

Great review for a poor set

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#15 Torax

Torax

Member: 6953

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

Nice review! I really want this collection.

[My Introduction Topic: Link][Trade me your regular LEGO for my BIONICLE! PM me for a list of what BIONICLEs I have!]
[Star Wars Module Standard?]

#16 ADHO15

ADHO15

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

View PostRoncanator, on Aug 14 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

I find this set pretty average imo. I find the droid tie fighter just a filler in this set which was a stupid decision by lego. These fighters are very blocky and the tie pilots dont have a lot of detail and the droid brain is just stupid.

Great review for a poor set
Thanks, Roncanator. It's good to see a negative take on the set too.

View PostTorax, on Aug 14 2009, 09:47 AM, said:

Nice review! I really want this collection.
Thank you, Torax.

#17 pedro

pedro

• Crazy Junction Master

Member: 1364

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Cheers for the review ADHO15! I really like this set but never actually picked it up... oh well! Still scores pretty highly in my book :wink:

View PostRoncanator, on Aug 14 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

I find the droid tie fighter just a filler in this set which was a stupid decision by lego. These fighters are very blocky and the tie pilots dont have a lot of detail and the droid brain is just stupid.
From reading Dark Empire I really liked the inclusion of the TIE-D - it's a nice addition to the TIE series in my opinion. They should've kept the lasers red of course, but that's the tiniest of niggles and easist of mods! All in all I think this set was great at the time for those who wanted to own or bulk out a TIE squadron; recreating the squad from the end of ANH, while offering an extra collector's piece.

#18 ADHO15

ADHO15

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:08 AM

View Postpedro, on Aug 14 2009, 05:59 PM, said:

Cheers for the review ADHO15! I really like this set but never actually picked it up... oh well! Still scores pretty highly in my book :wink:

From reading Dark Empire I really liked the inclusion of the TIE-D - it's a nice addition to the TIE series in my opinion. They should've kept the lasers red of course, but that's the tiniest of niggles and easist of mods! All in all I think this set was great at the time for those who wanted to own or bulk out a TIE squadron; recreating the squad from the end of ANH, while offering an extra collector's piece.

Thanks, pedro.

I agree that it was nice to see a less well-known TIE fighter get the spotlight for a change.

#19 fenris

fenris

• Photo This!

Member: 6569

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

actually i'm very happy tha TLC doesn't use any blue in the new darth-vader tie - i'm a big OT-fan and have only imperial ships but never bought a tie for the blue in it... now, i've git the new tie and i'm happy with it.

nice review!

Edited by fenris, 17 August 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#20 ADHO15

ADHO15

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

View Postfenris, on Aug 17 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

actually i'm very happy tha TLC doesn't use any blue in the new darth-vader tie - i'm a big OT-fan and have only imperial ships but never bought a tie for the blue in it... now, i've git the new tie and i'm happy with it.

nice review!

Thanks, fenris.

I agree that the new style is better. The TIE Fighters in the films were never blue, so the grey is much more accurate. However, if TLG do remake all the old versions, I'll probably stick to my existing collection.

#21 fenris

fenris

• Photo This!

Member: 6569

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

View PostADHO15, on Aug 19 2009, 10:41 AM, said:

Thanks, fenris.

I agree that the new style is better. The TIE Fighters in the films were never blue, so the grey is much more accurate. However, if TLG do remake all the old versions, I'll probably stick to my existing collection.

i fear that there's no danger that tlc will remake all the ties... i'd love it, but it's not what i would call highly probable...

anyway, you've got a really nice set and it's worth should be rising...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users