Mister Phes

Your Dream Pirate Sub-Theme

One day the LEGO Group decides to release a NEW sub-theme for Pirates but they decide to take feedback and ideas from pirate fans.

So your mission is to specify a nationality/faction for the new sub-theme! For example: You may want to introduce the Dutch into the LEGO Caribbean or you might want to send Governor Broadside's men on mission to retreive cursed Aztec gold.

If you're feel creative describe the sets in the sub-theme (this is optional). A typical Pirate sub-theme has a ship, large base, medium base, small base, a boat and a small island - but feel you don't have to be limited to that! Also come up with names for the key mini-figures like the leader but no need to name every single character.

Rules

• Only choose one sub-theme to begin with. Second and thirds can be saved for later.
  • It can't be adding to an existing sub-theme! But there can be mini-figure crossover.
  • It can't be random sets as they all must work together as a sub-theme.
  • Must be SYSTEM sub-theme. No Duplo or 4+

Now, get writing!

A Dutch VOC ship would be great, 5 midsections, 2 gundecks and Dutch sailors! *wub*

And a Dutch harbour, with large storage buildings, a realistic crane and lots of activity. *wub*

Merchants and ships, we need stuff to blow out of the water! *sweet*

Also some more Armada would be nice i think, there's so little of it.. X-D

Pirates of the carribean would make a nice licensed theme.... *sweet*

Then brin back the old school brown color, away with rown! :-D

New cannons, without the stick in the barrel, and no joints that stick out on the sides. :-D

And more female figures, otherwise my colony dies out *wacko*

Give us merchant!! No, give us Dutch Merchants!! The VOC!

I would love to buy a LEGO Amsterdam... Oh the thought alone..

Merchants would be great.

With big realistic storage buildings.

And I would love merchants!

Have I already mentioned merchant could make a nice theme??

Merchants on!!

I'd probably like ANY type of new system pirate...please, Lego? *sweet*

For this, I like the Aztec gold idea. This would allow for a large Spanish/Conquistador style ship.

A ship would need a port (large base), although that could leave the Aztecs outnumbered. If Lego reused the Spanish minifigs from the days of yore, they could introduce one or two new figs for the Aztec side; perhaps a warrior with a jaguar or eagle mask. Also, for the port, instead of the fortress include a warehouse or shop or a church/monastery. A minifig monk would be sweet.

The medium base would be for the Aztec treasure itself...perhaps something that could be combined with the upcoming Indiana Jones sets. Some sort of temple with the jaguar or eagle masked figs as guards.

Then I'd swap out the small base and boat for army-builders; maybe a jaguar or eagle statue (brickmade) with three or four Aztec warriors, and then a small boat with three or four Spanish/Conquistador soldiers as a landing party.

For the final small island set, I'd like a guard tower for the port. Or maybe a small lighthouse.

As for names, Moctezuma (Montezuma) for the Aztec leader, and Cortes for the Spanish, would be historically accurate. Otherwise, something like Aztl

Merchants. All generic characters, with no names and no back stories...

Harbor Ferry: small row boat (maybe include the small sail), one merchant figure, a bunch of crates and barrells loaded in the boat, and a shark ($10).

Smuggler's Sloop: small ship, similar to the one in Imperial Trading Post. Comes with two smugglers. ($20).

Smuggler's Cove: Burpy cave, with cargo hidden inside. Cannon to guard the cave. Includes a sail row boat, with two smugglers and a captured guard. ($20)

Custom House: similar to Lagoon Lockup, but with merchantile theme. Has a room for trading, with cargo in an open attic above and a sleeping/eating/living room. One merchant, one customer, one pirate smuggler in row boat. Includes monkey. ($30)

Merchantman: similar to Carribean Clipper, but bulkier. Has minimal armaments. Lots of cargo. Four merchants. ($50)

Trading Post: similar to imperial trading post. Pretty much just a reworking of the set. Includes a guard, wench, a couple of merchants and smuggler. ($100).

Maybe I'll work up some mock-ups of these...

Realistically, I don't see Lego going down this route for a remake of pirates. Especially, in the launching line. For that I'd imagine: (1) Large Pirate Ship for $100; (2) Medium Merchant Ship (more likely soldiers' ship) for $50; (3) Shipwreck Island for $30; (4) Trading Post (more likely a small fort) for $30; (5) Small Schooner (probably pirates) for $20; (6) Cannon Patrol Sentry Boat for $10.

Steve

Give us merchant!! No, give us Dutch Merchants!! The VOC!Have I already mentioned merchant could make a nice theme??

A merchants sub-theme would be great! Or a settlers/colonist sub-theme! A sub-theme that's not pirates or military.

If it wasn't 2:30AM I will divulge in my ideas further, however I shall refrain for another time. Do you have ideas for Dutch Merchant sets Mr. Tiber?

For this, I like the Aztec gold idea. This would allow for a large Spanish/Conquistador style ship.

Ahhhh... Lets not forget there is already an Imperial Armada sub-theme which depicts the Spanish so perhaps a Galleon would make a nice addition to that.

I'd put focus the of an Aztec sub-theme solely on the Aztec themselves. However I would include Imperial Armada mini-figures peripherially in some of the sets - the same way as some Islander sets included a couple pirate mini-figures.

Once again I will will divulge in my ideas further when it is not so early in the morning.

A merchants sub-theme would be great! Or a settlers/colonist sub-theme! A sub-theme that's not pirates or military.

If it wasn't 2:30AM I will divulge in my ideas further, however I shall refrain for another time. Do you have ideas for Dutch Merchant sets Mr. Tiber?

Mmmmmh, well I think a big merchant ship would be great! A ship like the Amsterdam!!

See? Probably to big though...A smaller one would also be cool I guess. This one's very nice and fitting.

And a port, with realistic storage building, like the one Jojo once made.

Well, I'm a bit short on ideas at the moment...

Edited by Mr Tiber

I would like a Dutch theme too (of course!)

Maybe some golden age/colonial housing and a port with cranes... Normal buildings to make a historical city.

Merchant ships will also be on my to buy list when Lego releases any. (or is that a too optimistical thought? :-P )

pc040047.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hmm ...

Perhaps a theme based on a historycal period?

Like the 1812-1815 war between the U.S. and England?

I think it offers a lot of oportunity for the building of frigates and sloops, some merchant ships and perhaps even a chance for TLC to design

a new sailing vessel hull?

Something bigger? :hmpf:

Portuguese sub-theme, begin sea-faring exploration here!

180px-PortugueseFlag1485.svg.png

Could have:

Prince Henry School of Navigation(Large base)

Caravel(Ship)

Discovery of Cape of Good Hope(Small ''base'' w/ small ship w/ Batolomeu Dias)

Trade with India:(Medium base w/ small merchant ship.)

And probably more!

I would have a more sivillian theme. the present sub themes are either imp guards imp soldiers pirates or imperial armada. what i think is missing is a more colony style. with bakers blacksmith servants governor . In my theme there would be a new raised baseplate(32x32) with two 90deg egdes so several plates could be buildt together in larger islands or bases.

and then small sets like a Inn and a blacksmith( castle serie have one so why dont we get the same)

been looking at the town and castle serie and there are so many independent sets that can be added to a town or other model area to improve it. thats why i think about this .

1.small : *boats(longer than the rowboat today with fisherman. (adding fish to the legoworld)

with possibillity to add sails

*wagons with goods ,food ets and a minifig

2.small set: *house/ hut (fisherman hunter farmer etc)

3.medium : *town houses ( bakery, shops , office(trading, colony, bank, etc)

* small base for fishermen,smugglers or just settlers . Buildt on the new type of raised

baseplate so kids or we could make bigger models by setting them together.

Large: * trading ship(lightly armed with smaller cannons(new type of prefab guns) ) 3 masts

large crew and several different kind of goods. with a wider prefab hull perhaps 20 or 24 wide

* harbour with cranes and storehouses wagons and several minifig, should fit the new type of

raised baseplates so it can be included in a town or base or island

Perhaps not the best idea but this is what i would go for.

1.small : *boats(longer than the rowboat today with fisherman. (adding fish to the legoworld)

I too have been pondering a fishing boat set for a Dutch sub-theme. It would be the equivalent of Harbor Sentry or Admiral's Launch.

I imagined a boat with a mast and on the very top would be a crane for raising and lowering a fishing net. The set would also include a Dutch mini-figure and there would be new fish pieces with a basket to put them in and maybe a larger fish like a Marlin (rather than a shark). Some sea gulls might also be an interesting touch but maybe that would be too much.

Here are some pieces I had in mind.

2551.jpg

4318.png

4504.png

75924.png

71155.1100907975.jpg

4424.png

The marlin!

Black_Marlin.jpg

Voc?, Yes please! , Merchants who can be robbed and fight the pirates. X-D :-D

I don't know if we must make special merchants, but the only name I remember is the name of a merchant named Six.

but because almost all dutch members said that, In the comic from 1989 there is a piratevillage with a inn and a maid who serves the pirates beer, that would also be a nice idea ;-)

Voc?, Yes please! , Merchants who can be robbed and fight the pirates. X-D :-D

I don't know if we must make special merchants, but the only name I remember is the name of a merchant named Six.

Where'd you get the name "Six" from?

It's similar to the whole idea of a "Merchant" theme, but I'd really like to see a "Trading Company" akin to the East India Trading Company in Pirates of the Caribbean.

They'd be run by some sketchball "Lord", there'd be loads of their own private soldiers, their outfits would be a gold variation of the Soldier uniform. Or something all new. Something all new would be excellent as well.

And the sets would naturally be decked out with civilian characters too. Swashbuckling, maybe. But civilians. Maybe the Lord, two Trader Soldiers, three civilian customers/merchants and a pirate prisoner.

Sets would be something like;

Trading Post Large Island Set - Akin to Imperial Trading Post COMES WITH LORD

Trading Warehouse Mid-Size Island Set - Akin to Skull Island

Dockside Tavern Mid-Size Harbor Set - Akin to Lagoon Lock Up

Trade Ship Mid-Size Ship - Akin to Caribbean Clipper (Ship's Captain has all black pirate hat)

Smuggler's Ship Smallish Ship - Akin to Renegade Runner

Rum Smuggler's Island Smallish Set - Akin to Shipwreck Island

Pirate Minifgures One of each new Minifig, a Monkey, a Parrot, Treasure, and a brown boat.

Design elements would try to find a balance between the Soldier/Imperial Guard look, but less white/yellow bricks with red roofs. Maybe white and gray bricks with green roofs?

And of course, why not recycle - the emblem of this theme would be the same emblem that is on the sail of the Trade Ship in the Imperial Trading Post. A "Barrel and Cross Anchors" under a crown.

I'd try to slip a classic figure in here and there ... a classic Pirate at the Rum Smuggler Island, a classic Soldier and Imperial Conquistador at the Tavern, an Swashbuckler at the Warehouse ... etc ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Van_Riebeck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town

I can quickly see this thread getting ready to explode.

Like every one else the Aztec or Inca element would be first rate as with the Conquistadors Lego were hinting at the early age of discovery when we tend to associate the Imperial Blues and Reds as something more 19th century.

One thing that really has to be said, as I see it two elements from other themes are already very appropriate - the ninjas and the red indians! Consider that the appearance of both these is still historically accurate, the red indians would compliment our red and blue (British and French) imperials perfectly for North America and then the ninjas could be used in connection with Dutch and Portugese traders who were the first to deal with the Hermit Kingdom.

The Dutch would be a nice touch as being from South Africa I could always have them establish the Cape Colony only to send my redcoats in to take it from them all over again... Or likewise New Amsterdam/New York. The Dutchies really need to learn to protect their colonies better :-P

One real strong concern is that certainly in the Cape Colony the Dutch troops were reputed to have worn green uniforms and one considers the tempting variation of green imperial troops. In fact, here's what I suggest as a sub-theme, colonial southern Africa being as that is my particular theatre of war and it would take away the Caribbean and Pacific impacts. Here, Dutch settlers could be put against Red Imperials, pirates (being based in Madagascar which was notorius for them as well as being a blue coat - French colony), the Africans ofcourse and also the Arab dohw's or Indian trading ships. Also there's the Portugese in Angola and Mozambique as well as Germans in South West Africa (Namibia) at a later stage so it's all very colourful!

So... here we go - SOUTHERN AFRICA:

Dutch Colonial forces of the VOC based in the Cape of Good Hope (aka The Cape of Storms to the Portuguese). The Dutch will be led by 'Governor Jan van Riebeck' and their forces would probably wear green although I'd like to see orange epilets on the green uniform to also help emphasise the Dutchness, we'll use yellow in the meantime. I have made some green troops and taken photos which I will post seperately. Other notable characters will be 'Simon van der Styl' etc. I've forgotten the names of the of the Dutch officers in the book but they were really nasty great characters for those who have read 'Bird of Prey' by Wilbur Smith. The Dutch base is ofcourse to be named 'The Cape of Good Hope' and resemble Imperial Trading Post with Table Mountain in the background. The main Dutch ship will have to be 'The Dromedary' (Camel) or 'The King William'. Smaller forts sould be 'Fort Orange' and 'New Amsterdam' Also we can use the islanders to portray the Batavian slaves (particularly women) who were brought to the Dutch colony.

Portugese Colonial forces should resemble the conquistadors but there needs to be something making them slightly more desctinctive though I can't think what in terms of dress. The Portugese will be led by 'Vasco Da Gama' as he is the first to have rounded the Cape and reach the east, 'Bartholamew Diaz' (also Porra) reached the Cape but his crew revolted and he was forced to turn back so maybe he could be in there as well but be jealous of the other guy. The Portugese thought the cape was crappy and too stormy so they preffered to set up shop in Mozambique. 'Lorenco Marques' was their main base but 'Natal' the second and most English of Britain's province bases after the Cape Colony was actually given the name by the Portugese and I think it means 'peaceful'. Anyway, the Portugese and the Dutch are near each other and not too keen - one Catholic, one Protestant, it could be a similar situation between the French and British. The main Portugese ship should be called 'The Prince Henry' to combat 'The Prince William' and as Prince Henry is also the one who started the school of navigation in Lisbon and is really the father figure behind Portugese colonialism. The bonus is we can use the Porras for Brazil too.

Both the Dutch and the Portugese from Southern Africa will attempt to reach and trade with the Hermit Kingdom (Feudal Japan) where ninjas and samurai are still more than happy in the 17th century.

The British will obviously get in on the action too and ultimately win :-P As Napolean storms through Europe and Holland looks set to fall the Brits become concerned with losing strategic territory for global trade in the war with France that is everywhere colonially so the redcoats will sail into 'The Cape of Good Hope' and raise the Union Jack declaring it 'Cape Town'. If the Dutch manage to hold on to the Cape and history is changed, the British will at the very least colonise the 'eastern Cape province and Natal. As such Durban will become the British HQ (today this is still South Africa's largest port - not Cape Town) but back then Durban will be 'Port Natal', other major bases will include 'Port Elizabeth' and 'East London'. We will be led by 'the Earl Grey' who was the main British Administrator and yep - he's the guy behind Earl Grey tea too so he needs to be holding a cup of tea and not a goblet! Another important character will be the hero 'Dick (Richard King)' who will be on a horse and who will ride for reinforcements when the Dutch attack. I think he should ride to get help from the Portugese as Britain and Portugal always have that secrete alliance *wink wink* and both hate the Dutch and Spanish. The main British ship something like 'The Kingfisher'. Also... The British brought Indians to Natal to build railroads so we can make use of the true Indians from the Orient Expedition stuff with Johnny Thunder.

Making life hard for all of these 3 will be - The Zulus, The Pirates from Madagascar as well as the actual French there themselves and all the Arab Pirate Dhows. In fact having black natives such as Zulu's would be an excellent sub-theme and likewise Arabs to fight the black natives and all the heathen Europeans too! The Zulus are led by 'Shaka' but he will be fighting with his brother 'Dingane' for the throne. In Zululand where they are known for practising the famous 'bull horn manouver' so that would make an interesting display.

Well guys to be honest I feel that Southern Africa has such a rich colonial and diverse ethnic history that it could be a good ol' model making bloodbath equal to the Carribean etc. Perhaps this whole theme could be large enough to warrant a thread of it's own? I can supply some historical maps etc to help define the whole idea.

What does the big boss downunder say?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2772589

Here's something I worked on lastnight and this morning guys. It's a few maps to help compliment my argument about a new Pirate Range based on Southern Africa. I hope the link works, I'm not so great at this sort of thing. The more I look at it maybe this is all for a slightly different discussion - a 'Theatres of War' thread or something relating to the Map Room.

Anyway, hope the information is useful for formulating those theories. It would be useful to construct maps like this for Australiasia/South Pacific, North America, South America, the Caribbean specifically and Western Europe as really that's where all our creations really take force.

Here's also the link for some green soldiers I made some time ago. Sorry about the poor quality but it was the best I could do at the time. Might give us an idea of what Dutch or other troops could look like.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=280536

post-1079-1192622288_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col. Whipstick

Wow col. Whipstick, you know your history, i'm impressed!

I don't think the dutch had uniforms those days though.....

They were more like a rowdy pirate bunch, with not a lot of organization i think.

Wow col. Whipstick, you know your history, i'm impressed!

I don't think the dutch had uniforms those days though.....

They were more like a rowdy pirate bunch, with not a lot of organization i think.

Well they certainly weren't as organised as say the British and French forces in the 18th and 19th centuries but I've read up on a few things suggesting that even the Dutch in the Cape were wearing uniforms.

My first thought if you can get a copy is the Wilbur Smith book - Bird of Prey. English privateers are taken prisoner during the Anglo-Dutch war and held captive in the Cape Fort, in it there are descriptions of green uniforms and Wilbur Smith is pretty veteran in his research. Anyway, that book is actually the prequel to the entire saga involving the Courntey family... If you haven't heard about any of this, it's worth having a look into... Read: Birds of Prey, Monsoon and Blue Horizon in that exact order - covers early colonial africa in some great vividity and then after that the later books go into the days of the British Empire. Yeah history is a bit of a drug for me, I could write some synopsis like this for the other theatres but felt Southern Africa would be suitable as I am British and South African.

here's a good link: www.wilbursmithbooks.com

If you have any enquiries about any history just yell, like to test my knowledge, we can never know too much...

Edited by Col. Whipstick

How about colonists vs. the imperials?

Similar to the U.S. versus the English like Hairy Rueben said,

but TLG would rarely make their own theme that portray something based on real history.

So it's colonist vs. imperials X-D

The colonists have more non-military sets.

Like small merchant vessels and fishing boats.

While the imperials get the bigger ships and forts >:-)

The imperials get a large gray stone fort while the colonists might get a small log outpost tower.

P

How about colonists vs. the imperials?

Similar to the U.S. versus the English like Hairy Rueben said,

but TLG would rarely make their own theme that portray something based on real history.

So it's colonist vs. imperials X-D

The colonists have more non-military sets.

Like small merchant vessels and fishing boats.

While the imperials get the bigger ships and forts >:-)

The imperials get a large gray stone fort while the colonists might get a small log outpost tower.

P

Not to pick holes in that theory... But the US versus Great Britain could only be the war of 1812. If you're reffering to the revolution, the US doesn't exist until after 1776, niether for that matter do Americans strictly speaking... And this is a pet peev of mine from that side of the Atlantic - it's not the English... It's the British! Since 1711 Scotland and England with Wales already annexed are merged creating Great Britain. I know it seems complicated but it would be like calling Texans Yankies as a comparison :-P

Green Coats! X-O

Hessians! Speaking of which, that would be a major dream theme of mine:

1776_logo_A.gif

Maybe I'll elaborate further later on. *y*

What face is this mini-figure using?

It looks like a classic smile face, only really blurry. :-P

Edited by oo7

The American Revolution would be interesting, but I thought we established that TLC wouldn't do anything based on real history X-D .

We are supposed to be dreaming, aren't we? X-D