Murdoch17

Adventurers Boat: the Delta Queen

Builders Notes:

I built this ship from two Adventurers sets: I used the boat from set #5975 (T-Rex Transport) and modified slightly to resemble set #5976, (River Expedition). The captain figure is supposed to be the Collectable Mini-Figure Captain (from series 10) in his youth. The ship features a boiler, steering wheel and a metal-looking smoke-stack using column pieces in black. I might even put this piece:

6636px2.jpg?0

on the back to signify the Queen's old owner, Octan Company.

Back story:

The Delta Queen was built in 1910 by the Octan Company for transporting supplies and empty oil barrels to it's many Oil refineries and pumping stations on the African coast. In 1914, World War 1 broke out and Octan's Egyptian properties were seized by the British for use to the war effort. This seizure included the Delta Queen, which was partially sunk in a 1916 accident in the Mediterranean. The ship was considered a loss and Octan was payed for it's replacement at the Great War's end. The wreck was bought in 1919 by a former US Naval officer named Jack Hawkins. He brought the ship up to the surface, repaired it, and started a business sailing cargo and customers around the Horn of Africa. He befriended adventurer Johnny Thunder during the 1921 search for the Re-Gou Ruby while looking for work in Alexandria. Johnny kept in touch with Jack, whom eventually helped Harry Cane (pilot extraordinaire and another adventurer friend) build a car for Johnny after his beloved automobile, the Scorpion Tracker, was lost in a sandstorm. They dubbed it the Treasure Tracker and gave it to Johnny after the Orient Expedition was over in 1924.

Photos:

12906277294_69cf8d559e_z.jpg

front view

12905940913_dc0e300ff7_z.jpg

rear view

12905940693_199f36511f_z.jpg

Over-head view (with now cargo to help show the deck)

12906276434_299031f795_z.jpg

Captain Jack Hawkins is on the left, while Johnny Thunder is on the right. (Johnny is supposed to be the 2014 LEGO Movie version)

12820952613_4aa3e6227d_z.jpg

A better look at the car (seems as though someone is missing their hat now! :tongue: )

(LDD file coming soon)

Comments, Questions, & complaints welcome!

LDD file contains no cars, no figs, just the boat as seen here:

1394025968m_DISPLAY.jpg

LXF here:

http://www.mocpages.com/user_images/80135/1394027734m.lxf

Edited by Murdoch17

I had the Trex transport and the boat does indeed look very similar, Johnny's new car looks nice,

it makes me want to build my own adventurers expedition, a ship, some cars etc.

I'm now adding the Delta Queen's lxf to the first post, in case wants it...

EDIT: done!

Edited by Murdoch17