Sign in to follow this  
Aliencat

Redux of Technic set 8830

This is my first Technic MOC, I really enjoyed building it :)

Lego Technic set 8830 was one of the first Technic sets I got as a kid, and always one of my favourites:

original8830.jpg

So I supersized and modernized it:

8830plus1.jpg

Here it is stripped of exterior body parts so you can see the Power Functions stuff:

8830plus4.jpg

Here's a

And finally here's the Brickshelf folder.

Edited by Aliencat

Very nice job on the modernisation, you've retained the look of the original but achieved a very modern technic look. My brother had that set when we were younger and passed it on to me. I was never quite sure what it was supposed to be. It says Rally on the front, but it's like no vehicle I know.

Do you have the original? It would be good to see the two side by side.

Laurie

The original model is a Moon Buggy. I think AlienCat's moc captures that feel better than the original - well done.

The only thing that would be a cool addition would be to have independent suspension on each wheel. It'd be difficult to implement though.

Very cool! Very nicely done! I especially like how you modified the PF remote control to have a steering wheel! Very clever! :thumbup:

Cool model. The PF functions are nicely designed and it captures the look of the old set very well. :thumbup:

I'm not sure what the original set was supposed to be. It was called the Rally 6 Wheeler in the US and the Moon Buggy in the UK, although it doesn't look much like a moon buggy at all. :wacko:

Here's a

That looks like immense fun.

Maybe I've poo-pooed these Power Functions units too harshly.

(I'm just mad they pushed 9V trains out of the way.) : p

Quite an awesome upgrade. the original model is the kind of geeky stuff that kept me AWAY from Lego most of my life.

Your version is the kind of thing that sucks one in. Show a tiny car like that zipping around on a tv commercial and the kiddies would be crashing the doors of the local toy store.

I... really want to build this.

How very nice! :thumbup:

This was one of my first technic sets as well and I see that the incredible tight corners one could take with the original model are also possible with your modification. It moves well with the added power functions.

About the purpose of this thing: I don't know, here in Holland it was called "6 wheeled Explorator", but the rallysign puzzled me.

I'm all for figuring things out myself, but this is one time where I'd break down and follow instructions just to get it absolutely right.

Mmmmh. :look:

I´ve got the bricks and I´ve got the Power Function elements.

What keeps me from imitating your absolutely great model?? :sweet:

Thank you very much for sharing the pics. :thumbup:

May I ask for a closeup of your remote control (especially the wheel function)?

Hey thanks a lot for the responses everyone! :)

Unfortunately I can't make instructions for this or closer pictures of the workings, because I already took this apart, I'm making something bigger and with more functions now :P (also Power Functions remote controlled).

Maybe some of the pictures in the Brickshelf folder can help you guys in figuring out how it works?

May I ask for a closeup of your remote control (especially the wheel function)?

This I can do, I'm using the same remote control for my next Power Functions MOC, so I'll be sure to take a clear close-up picture of the remote control for you when it's done.

Edited by Aliencat