Sign in to follow this  
Scaevola

Temple of Tsaulkoth

A free-build for Kaliphlin

13518043863_1ef3422532.jpg 13518039963_8f2a0abca5.jpg

The Temple of Tsaulkoth is a temple on the outskirts of Anemaquar, the chief city-state in the Kaliphlinite Principality of Quataria. The church is the center of religious worship in Quataria, as well as the seat of the Archpriest of Anemaquar. This is not part of my sigfig's storyline (that will commence in the next post). Constructive critiscism regarding photos and building are welcome.

13518017123_e010c894a1.jpg

A view of the temple grounds.

The tree looks better in real life

Edited by Scaevola

Looks really good! I like the window on the second floor! And that tree design looks great! How did you do that?

Some nitpicks

The windows could have some sort of framing around them. Right now the glass parts on the third floor blends in with the other bricks..

Regarding the photos

DonĀ“t use flash. Go outside on a cloudy day, that is the best light you can have!

Take a shot of your moc from above in an angle that makes you see the whole moc. Right now we see everything from below.

The whole moc should be in at least one picture. Right now you have cut of the top part of your moc..

But a great start and I hope you take my advice in the right way! Keep mocing! :)

Thanks de Gothia. I agree about the frames and thanks for the photography advice. The tree was made from a combination of Mark of Falworth's Falworth Tree and one of Derfel Cadarn's in his guide on Eurobricks.

Links: http://inspiredbrick...n-tutorial.html

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=60907

Just put antennae on top of the clip pieces and put on the foliage pieces

Edited by Scaevola

This is a great start! Your use of poster-board is good, you just need to work on getting your whole build to have it as the backdrop. Try different angles and cropping to show only the white background and make sure all else isn't visible. And as deGothia said, don't use flash! Your pictures are a whole lot better than most people's who use flash, but the flash still has negative effects. Use a different source of lighting. I have special photography lights, but I know that the average AFOL doesn't. You can always make do with a lamp and a white sheet between the lamp and your build to add more lighting. Keep experimenting and soon you'll be an expert!

@MKJoshA

Thanks again everyone for the tips. I'll make sure to better my photographs in the next moc I post.

IF you have a detachable flash, turn it towards your ceiling or wall and "bounce" the flash for softer light. Also, you could use filters. Most photography lights require a filter, be in the photo box or a diffuser between the light and the object. Building wise, good first build for the project! I personally have a hard time getting behind DC's 1x1 round plate style (except when the master does it himself) but I think this looks pretty good, it has a different, jungle temple feel to it. Again, it is a good start.

Forgot to comment on the door, I really like that!

Thank you Ska for the advice. I'll try and develop a more varied texturing technique (I agree with you regarding the rounds, but they look nice when applied sparingly)

Edited by Scaevola

Nice build. I like what you did with the droid arms and vegetation, and the SNOT. It would be nice to see more of the vegetation. I agree with all the other comments. One thing that stands out for me is stylistic rather than technical: in real life I believe these cobblestone or flint walls usually have larger retaining stones in the corners to stop them from crumbling apart.

Nice build

:classic:

Great job! I like the round brick walls and the window framing will polish off the effect and the tree is amazing. :sweet:

The lush vegetation gives a nice overgrown feel, (not sure if you were going for that, but I think its good). :thumbup:

Nice build and the tree looks really good! One thought though would be to add another leaf piece on top to help hide the black antenna....

Nice job, I like the vegitation, the tree, and the texturing. I also think window frames would make it look cleaner. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Nice moc dude! You got your tips regarding flash. I like the door a lot :) Nice

This is a great start Scaevola, and you've already got some top advice from ppl here. I really like the off-square footprint of the building, the detailed door and the lush vegetation. The stained glass window is a great idea, but my suggestion would be to use a different technique to build it other than stacked 1x1 rounds - otherwise it blends in with the walls as they are very similar textures. Stacked square plates would work better perhaps, or cheese slopes if you are feeling adventurous! My other suggestion is to search for reference material for rooftops - topping out buildings can be very challenging and it helps to have an idea what yr going for or it can end up looking a bit randomly tacked on. Not that i'm saying that your roof is bad mind you, just that it could use a bit more visual punch.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next! :classic:

Thanks for the advice Gabe. I was going to use the same stained glass technique on other mocs but was thinking of cutting down on the 1x1 round s for the stone