Sign in to follow this  
tkatt

MOC: The 13 building, an odd width modular experiment

I was intrigued when I found out the Detctives Office would have an alley. Well it wasn't exactly what I expected, so over the past few months I've been experimenting with my own take on a modular with an alley. I settled on a 13 stud wide building with a 3 stud wide alley. Going with a 13 wide building presented some challenges but also allowed for nice symmetry on the front. I do feel I may have gone a bit overboard with the decoration on the front, but I had fun putting it together so I stuck with it.

The 13 Building

20478692674_18fbcf2d5a_c.jpg

20913411048_5ea5fbde25_c.jpg

20913411898_679e0c0c4a_c.jpg

21091222292_9116fc81e2_c.jpg

20913413278_30367a1b8c_c.jpg

I may add more interior details- or I may not. The top floor is furnished but impossible to take a picture of, I intended for the roof to be removable...

21109008201_0dc6c48a45_n.jpg21101297705_cd865aba60_n.jpg

The Gargoyle fits pretty well right there, but it does seem a bit out of place to me

20913219690_72d3ece828_c.jpg

20914511069_350d18beb8_c.jpg

Some day I hope to have a decent camera and lighting. When/if that ever happens I'd like to update all my posts with better quality pictures.

But for now I'll close with the obligatory "sorry about the poor quality photos" line.

Thanks for checking it out.

And it has an awesome interior downstairs to boot :thumbup: , impressive designing and highly original a 13 wide building......Brick On 'tkatt' ! :grin:

Well, yes, the gargoyle is somewhat big here and looks like a stone sculpture on/under a wooden wall and roof. But it's still a great building with a great decoration. :thumbup:

I think it is great, wonder if TLG would see this and start thinking of this type of building for a 2nd modular release each year. Not sure how much it cost, but I know I would pick this up.

This is awesome! I love the staircase and the use of the round wall pieces. You've also achieved a nice texture over the whole building. Good job!

Brilliant, love the alleyway and the build, especially that staircase. I think I like non 16/32 wide modular more as they add variety. I am just working on a 22 wide, that leaves 10 studs on the baseplate for a smaller building.

Very good building. Lovely colours and an interesting spiral staircase in that tower at the back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think I would go for a 4 wide alley to allow minifigs to "walk" down the alley properly

And I like it 3 wide. Minifigs side squeezes that speaks not only about the narrowness of the passage, but its relevance and necessity.

A great experiment, it is necessary to adopt.

That's just part of the brown on the first floor of a little color does not match with the gray base color at home. Or I'm wrong.

Edited by Nemo57

Very good building. Lovely colours and an interesting spiral staircase in that tower at the back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think I would go for a 4 wide alley to allow minifigs to "walk" down the alley properly

I think it has a good size as it is. If the building was more narrow it would look strange in that height. You could always place another 1-3 wide alley adjacent to the alley side, making it a 4-6 wide alley.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think it is great, wonder if TLG would see this and start thinking of this type of building for a 2nd modular release each year. Not sure how much it cost, but I know I would pick this up.

I would have a hard time determining the cost. Most of the parts came from a couple of bulk buys from a thrift store, the rest are from PAB walls.

I think it has a good size as it is. If the building was more narrow it would look strange in that height. You could always place another 1-3 wide alley adjacent to the alley side, making it a 4-6 wide alley.

This is exactly what I was planning to do. The building next to it will be 14 wide, so the alley will be 5 studs wide.

This sort of reminds me of old german guild buildings for some reason. It just has that sligthly medieval feel. Its pretty original too. The staircase certainly gives it character.

There is a lot of decoration and I thought at first too much, but I think it's probably just the gargoyle. The building overall looks great! I really like the shape and the side will look fantastic with a slightly larger alley.

I love it! The alley way makes a nice brake from side-by-side and looks completely natural. Nice place for a clandestine meeting! I also like buildings that get away from the 16/32/64 wide pattern. While may layout is dominated by official Lego Modulars, I have built my own bases for them so any future buildings do not need to be stuck to a standard 32x32 plate.

Can we see a shot of the back? The spiral staircase fits right in for your design! Gives an older feel.

Al lastly, I hope nobody was injured in that accident in front of the barber shop!

Interesting choice of size, the rooftop looks well finished considering its an odd number. I like the colour scheme on the facade. Well done!

Nice skinny building! I wish that TLG would come up with similar designs instead of huge buildings like they always do. Highier would be fun too! Great work here!