L@go

MOC/MOD: Eight New Vehicles for my City

indexed.gif V-LV-43F to V-LV-44D, V-LV-44F, V-LC-14E & V-LC-14F

Hello again!

After having presented various MOCs and MODs in this (four), this (eight) and this post (five vehicles), I have kept on building, and suddenly one of my cars hit a special note with the community. It's funny how I can't tell which design will be the most popular one, but in this case it was my supercar. Along with that car, which incidentally is my s(t)igfig's new ride, I'll present seven other designs - most of them my own, but also a couple of modified ones - that I've uploaded to Flickr as I've edited the photos.

The cars were designed with MLCad before I ordered the necessary bricks. I hope you enjoy the show :)

1) The Australian Sedan.

This is the least modified MOD I've done this time. I liked the original, by Eurobricks member AllanSmith, so much that I wanted to have my own. The original (which this doesn't differ much from) can be found here. I've based mine on his white and blue Mustang version, with minor changes.

6311164416_4b718770bb_z.jpg

6310643609_353ea3b988_z.jpg

The minifig is my stereotypical image of an Australian - no offence :)

2) The American Sedan.

This is my own design - it goes well with the Australian sedan, but I've chosen a more menacing colour for it. The long overhangs are inspired by the big American sedans and coupés, but I also feel that there's a hint of the 1976-89 Aston Martin Lagonda to it.

6304255614_858bf75032_z.jpg

I was just snapping a couple of pics of it, and the owner didn't seem to mind...

6303729323_8246b722a9_z.jpg

...but suddenly he had clearly had enough, and the situation became a bit tense, so I decided to leg it.

6304258874_99b642dec6_z.jpg

3) The Rat Rod.

This is heavily based on Polish Guy's "Voodoo Psychosis", which you can have a closer look at here. While he based his design on a real car, I didn't - and so I had more opportunity to change details, like the slanted grille - and the real reason I wanted to do my own version in the first place, was that I wanted to try to fit a minifig inside it. Apparently, the original has since been resprayed - which is a shame, as this really looks very good in sand green!

6322095247_7f066ccb75_z.jpg

6322620358_742affa6f7_z.jpg

As I was taking the pictures I discovered that the car looks just as good without its roof on.

6322093879_e13efd0887_z.jpg

The owner is obviously a hippie. I really like this minifig combo!

4) The Buggy.

This started out as an attempt to build something in dark bluish grey, and then I realised it could be a nice opportunity to use the printed rivet tiles I bought from Citizen Brick a while ago. It evolved into this design, which I'm quite happy with - especially the rear end with the exposed engine with chromed parts from ChromeBricks.

6307736176_b0dfc40b0c_z.jpg

6307214469_7545454d6c_z.jpg

I'd already used bricks from two different customisers, so why not top it off with a hairpiece from Arealight?

6307214317_f2b46fc083_z.jpg

The owner seems happy with his hairdo, as he admires the reflection in the chrome air cleaner...

5) The MPV Van.

This minivan ended up being slightly Renault Espace-ish, the first, edgy version. I wanted to build a car in dark green, and it somehow turned into an MPV. The rear end is hinged for easy access to the luggage compartment.

6320274609_83b6f98245_z.jpg

6320797558_2eefca3ca3_z.jpg

The owner is an avid supporter of a football team called Wolfpacks...

6) The Modern 6624.

The original idea was to update a classic Town design to fit in with the more modern ones, and 6624 Delivery Van seemed like a nice choice. It's ridiculously stubby in its original version, being four studs wide and eight studs long, so the logical evolution would be six wide and twelve long. And this is the result:

6316428399_7465cca34a_z.jpg

I knew the grille would have to have vertical slots, like the original.

6316429197_9a318afefe_z.jpg

I managed to find original, unused stickers on BrickLink at a reasonable price - which is quite astonishing as the set is 28 years old - to add the finishing touch.

6316947618_f46bbf06bb_z.jpg

The rear door hinges upwards, like the original, and the colour combination for the driver is the same as in 6624 - but as this was supposed to be more modern, I decided to give the car a female driver :)

7) The Supercar.

Of all the things I've built after my dark ages, this is undoubtedly the one that has received the most attention, not least because it was blogged by TBB. The result was 12,000 hits in one week on my Flickr account (up until then, I had about 30,000 hits in total over my first nine months on Flickr)... and all that for what started simply as an attempt to build a nice car for my s(t)igfig.

This one is built on the same 4x10 vehicle base as most of my other cars, but it's six studs wide to easier achieve the aggressive shape. I knew that it had to be mid-engined with a big rear spoiler, and the end result is pretty much in sync with what I aimed for. I'm very happy with the wing, which has a design I haven't seen before; the air intake and the front design. There is room for improvement on the general chunkiness - the car's 'shoulders' are a little bit too high - and I've also realised, after some feedback on Flickr, that I could actually have made the roof one plate lower. I'll fix that next time!

6327419512_c0a1fc7409_z.jpg

6327419810_af894ef713_z.jpg

I added some stickers to give it the look of a race car for the road.

6327418470_2c0ac89e50_z.jpg

Some say he's terrified of corn flakes, and that there's a recharging socket in his left nostril. All we know is...

The final vehicle I'll present today is very different - but after the nice reception my flatbed rescue truck got, you might just like this, too:

8) The Steinwinter.

Ever since I saw this in an old deck of Top Trump cards, I've been fascinated by Steinwinter's wacky and different approach to truck design. The idea is, as far as I can tell, that as long as the truck fits under the front of the trailer, the length of the trailer can be increased without affecting the overall length of the vehicle. Here's a picture of the original:

70175d1200045287-steinwinter-truck-1983-steinwinter-1983-04.jpg

A Lego recreation obviously had to be six-wide, with larger wheels than the ones normally used by Lego in the City sets, and the choice of front windscreen was easy. As you will see if you check out this web page on the original, I've taken some liberties with the wheel assembly on the trailer, and the proportions on the truck aren't perfect, either - oh, and I totally chickened out when it came to the diagonal stripes... but apart from that, I think I've succeeded quite nicely.

6350396390_624d85ae8c_z.jpg

6349649657_e4f7c1f66f_z.jpg

6349649811_48b150d9ee_z.jpg

The truck itself is quite slick, even though the design is similar to a (streamlined) aircraft tug...

A nice bi-effect of the colour combination was that I could use the magic wand from the Collectible Minifigures magician as mounting bars for the rear-view mirrors - without the white edges looking strange. I know the hitch is ridiculously simple, I was more concerned with the overall look of the model.

6350395822_99befccb76_z.jpg

The lights on the roof of the trailer are trans-clear lens pieces by BrickForge. And although the truck is streamlined, I can't help thinking it's somewhat wasted when there's a huge wind-stopping wall right above it... still, it's a fascinating concept.

Well, that's it! And although I don't have huge plans for future vehicles, there will probably be more after a while. I hope you enjoyed my new vehicles, and I also hope that you'll leave a comment - after all, without input the output isn't likely to get better :)

More pictures can be found in the Vehicles set in my Flickr.

Edited by Phred

I'll comment properly later(as I'm at work on my phone right now) but as always I love your work. I'm usually not fond of the city style cars, but you make them work so well. I especially like that supercar with the Stig. :thumbup:

The Steinwinter is really amazing. The real thing is pretty amazing too, though as you said, the streamlined tractor is a bit pointless considering the trailer is as aerodynamic as a brick.

The Supercar is great, the color combo screams Veyron, as does the air intake above the roof.

The Rat Rod looks alot like a motorcycle I've seen around a few times. I love the color and the use of hands as headers.

I definitely see Lagonda in your American Sedan, particularly the long front overhang. The Lagonda had much more of a wedge shape though.

Edited by bootz

Hi

These are really awesome! great work. I love the detail on the truck at the bottom I have never seen a truck like that before so thank you for posting a picture of it. I also really liked the roadster before the truck that is absolutley amazing

Again great work

Charlie

The Steinwinter is possibly your finest vehicle created yet, fantastic designing ! :moar:

Both the Aussie Falcon and Supercar come a close joint second......though a red and white Falcon would upset the Blue and White Ford fans ! :iamded_lol:

Keep them coming 'L@go' and Brick On Drive On ! :grin:

Another fantastic line up of cars and trucks 'L@go'! I love them all especially the "rat Rod', "Buggy", "Supercar", and the modern take of the classic delivery van. I like the untraditional colors used on a few of the cars. And very nice job building that interesting truck... I've seen that picture before and wanted to build one but, both builds turned into airport fuel truck default_laugh2.gif Keep up the awesome builds default_classic.gif

Great job L@go, I really like the MPV especially as its on 4 wide. I also like the delivery van but the 'Steinwinter' is awesome! It looks very much like the original in the pic, strange how they designed a truck like that, reminds me of something you would see at an airport.

Excellent work.The Steinwinter is amaizing!!!!:thumbup:

Thank you very much!

The Steinwinter is really amazing. The real thing is pretty amazing too, though as you said, the streamlined tractor is a bit pointless considering the trailer is as aerodynamic as a brick.

The Supercar is great, the color combo screams Veyron, as does the air intake above the roof.

The Rat Rod looks alot like a motorcycle I've seen around a few times. I love the color and the use of hands as headers.

I definitely see Lagonda in your American Sedan, particularly the long front overhang. The Lagonda had much more of a wedge shape though.

Thanks! Regarding the colour and pipes on the Rat Rod, I can't take credit for that - it's the work of Polish Guy.

The Steinwinter concept is fascinating - and strange - and it was quite easy to transform the design into Lego. And the Supercar was never meant to be Veyron-like, so that is entirely coincidental, and I didn't recognise the similarities until after I'd built it. But I definitely see your point!

These are really awesome! great work. I love the detail on the truck at the bottom I have never seen a truck like that before so thank you for posting a picture of it.

My pleasure! The first time I saw it I was gobsmacked by it as well.

...though a red and white Falcon would upset the Blue and White Ford fans ! :iamded_lol:

Thanks for your kind words! I didn't think of that obvious colour glitch... I hope I haven't mortally offended anybody :)

And very nice job building that interesting truck... I've seen that picture before and wanted to build one but, both builds turned into airport fuel truck...

Several airport vehicles are very similar to the Steinwinter, so I can see how you ended up in that direction. I've never seen any that's quite as streamlined, though :)

Great job L@go, I really like the MPV especially as its on 4 wide.

Thank you! I very much like that people look at these models and find themselves different favourites. It's one of the things that makes it so much fun to build MOCs.

The Australian Sedan is nice but the new 6624 minivan is amazing: I want it! :laugh:

Wouldn't it be nice if Lego updated that design? I think it's a good idea!

Thanks for the comments, guys, they're very inspiring!

Pretty cool creations. I really like the MPV and Supercar. I've never seen that Steinwinter, interesting look. You're rendition is very accurate, but it tucks too far under the trailer. You should move the hitch piece back at least one spot.

I like the rat rod and the delivery van the most. The van because it brings backgood memories. I had that set and your updated version is great. The colors of your rat rod are perfectly chosen.

Well done

Thanks, both of you!

You're rendition is very accurate, but it tucks too far under the trailer. You should move the hitch piece back at least one spot.

I beg to differ. Have you seen any of the pictures where the trailer is connected?

lkw01.jpg

I think it's pretty accurate.

I love the origionality of all your vehicles L@go. :blush: Most of the time you will see a fig scale car in yellow, red or orange. Even though I am a culprit of this,I love the way you use dark green, sand green, dark blue, and more in your models! Once more I will say that these MOC's leave nothing to be desired!

Brick On!

Dakar

Very nice new collection of cars L@go. Super car is definately my favorite. Second favorite is the remake of the delivery van. Really like how you built some of the other cars in more rare colors. Keep up the great work! :thumbup:

What could still be said about this? You can look several times at these mocs and still find a detail you did not recognize before. I already commented on your supercar - it is a classic yet. The delivery van is a gem, too. Concerning the Steinwinter I absolutely agree with LT - at least it is your most daring yet very successful effort. And although I am not so fond of 4w vehicles I am quite stunned by yours - looking at them I understand that colour becomes a very important element of a MOC if space and forms are limited. It is kind of fourth dimension of lego design if you will. This is something I have to consider much more.

Keep it up! I am looking forward to the next bunch. :thumbup:

Most of the time you will see a fig scale car in yellow, red or orange. Even though I am a culprit of this,I love the way you use dark green, sand green, dark blue, and more in your models!

Really like how you built some of the other cars in more rare colors.

Thank you both! By basing most of my cars on the regular 4x10 base, I've kind of restricted my options - so colour is one way to accomplish variation (like ER0L said). I haven't quite exhausted that base yet, there are still some cars to come :)

I love your Steinwinter. It looks great! I'd love to see a picture of it acting as an Aircraft Pushback.

Thanks! Yeah, there's a certain similarity :)

Keep it up! I am looking forward to the next bunch. :thumbup:

Thank you so much for all your kind words. There'll hopefully be another bunch before the year ends, or somewhere around that time.

Great collection of vehicles :thumbup: I really love the Steinwinter and the rat rod. Keep up the good work :classic:

Thanks! I changed the colour of the Falcon so as not to make it a complete copy of yours - and thereby apparently annoyed all Ford fans down under, according to your fellow countryman, the Tiger :D

Excellent mocs. The Rat rod and Steinwinter are my favorites. I love the color you choose for the rat rod. Really brings out the old school feel. Perfect! The Steinwinter is very unique as well. Speaking of the Steinwinter, did you know they designed a truck based on the Steinwinter for an 80's TV show called "The Highwayman"?

adbde851-83df-4742-a6ba-dee6.jpg

i206906.jpg

http://www.famouscars.de/images/highwayman/highwayman.htm

Overall great job! Not sure if this has been covered already, but can a mini fig fit in truck?

Speaking of the Steinwinter, did you know they designed a truck based on the Steinwinter for an 80's TV show called "The Highwayman"?

I'd seen the pictures - they turn up when you google 'Steinwinter' - but I didn't know the story behind the beast. Thanks for the info!

Not sure if this has been covered already, but can a mini fig fit in truck?

If you look closely, you'll se that he's seated (comfortably) inside. I don't build cars that can't fit minifigures - that's important to me! :)

Edited by L@go

I'd seen the pictures - they turn up when you google 'Steinwinter' - but I didn't know the story behind the beast. Thanks for the info!

Sure. I remember seeing the show as a kid. Always loved the truck with the helicopter inside; but crack up looking back since he would always use the helicopter to get away from cops.. and they would always wait for the 45 seconds or so for the helicopter to lift up out of the truck and take off! That's Hollywood for ya!

If you look closely, you'll se that he's seated (comfortably) inside. I don't build cars that can't fit minifigures - that's important to me! :)

Very cool. That's how i feel with my town and technic creations as well! All have to be able to support there associated figures!

A great selection of cars, I love the hot rod. I am going to try make some of these for my city.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Those are some great vehicles! I'm trying to learn to make good cars and I feel inspired. My faves were the Buggy, the Modern, the last race car and the Steinwinter thing-a-ma-bob lol