Ondra

Lego technic challenge 2012

What would Lego perffer, a utracomplex crawler or one easier to sell?, anyway it is a good challenge I hope to see a lot of crawler designs. I thought Lego had cuusoo for this...

Edited by jorgeopesi

Thank you.I hope this challenge win some crawler with speed gearbox, lockable diffrentials and maybe pneumatic suspensions.And some big piece count.

Thank you.I hope this challenge win some crawler with speed gearbox, lockable diffrentials and maybe pneumatic suspensions.And some big piece count.

AFOLs think the same but Lego want to buy sets and a more complex crawler than the 9398... it will be too expensive... no benefits...

oh my goddess, what a prize

will we see some of our genius builders in the finals?

how avoid plagiarism with the older crawlers of mahjiga, zblj and sariel

if old mocs are be allowed?

000.jpg_thumb.jpg

will a third party tire disqualify the moc? it would be a wonder if not.

Rc or not?

how complex could it be

so many questions. i think i want see the rules first

Efferman has already made a fantastic 4x4 Crawler using parts from TWO 9398 sets, but it may be too expensive to be a Technic set that kids (and parents) could afford. The official challenge rules are not yet posted on the link shown on the image above (Lego.com/Technic). Hopefully, one could use DIFFERENT parts than the ones provided in the 9398 set. :look:

I think model that win this challenge will be little "censored" by lego designers.I there will be limitation to 9398 pieces that will be very shame. :hmpf_bad:

i think a small crawler like my little willys would be a good moc from the view of selling, but in a fan voting a big and complex model, like sheepos defender, has the better chances

This is pretty interesting... I am certain that much criteria will be in place after a model is selected and there will be extensive testing made to be certain that the model has no imperfections with design/playability... There are more than likely going to be a ton of submissions with ideas that belong to other builders... Sheepo's Land Rover could probably win this, but I don't think that is exactly what they are looking for...

It was considered. There won't be problems with plagiarism this time because once the Designers will choose the top 10 to go into the voting phase there will be plenty of time for us tor report any illegal entries.

And in the end we are the ones who will chose the winner.

There will be allowed other parts than those in the set, as log the rules are obeyed.

All the details will be known still this month.

I don't see how anyone could build a model that would be Lego quality to be a real set in such a short time unless a model is submitted that has already been previously built. And if that happens, then that would be unfair to anyone who just finds out about this contest and is already at a disadvantage because someone had more time to build a similar themed model. How can someone start on a project and possibly compete with someone else who has been building a model for say a year?

We'll just have to wait for the official announcement and the rules

There was a lot of speculation about the VIP promotion that LEGO did recently and all the questions were answered once the website for the promotion went live. I have no doubt the same applies here.

How can you talk about disadvantage and make such considerations if you don't know yet which the timeframe to submit your designs will be? :classic:

Also you're assuming that MOCs made previously can be submitted, but forgetting that might be some rule preventing it, to know when the rules will become published.

We'll have plenty of time to make some decent models.

What a lucky situation. I've just started a crawler (or a vehicle that also has crawling abilities), I think I'll enter the contest.

A couple of things about this contest are very surprising to me. The first is that I am surprised they would want to release another crawler model only one year after the first one. Usually they try to diversify the offerings more because otherwise the new model with compete with the existing one which is still for sale. Secondly, I am surprised they could turn a fan generated model into a real set so quickly. I would expect it to take a year or more after a contest to be able to get through the redesign, testing, and instruction making process.

A couple of things about this contest are very surprising to me. The first is that I am surprised they would want to release another crawler model only one year after the first one. Usually they try to diversify the offerings more because otherwise the new model with compete with the existing one which is still for sale. Secondly, I am surprised they could turn a fan generated model into a real set so quickly. I would expect it to take a year or more after a contest to be able to get through the redesign, testing, and instruction making process.

These 2 points are exactly what I was thinking as well... The original 9398 Crawler is probably going to be around for quite some time...

Interseting idea, i'd like to join this, hopefully theres no prejudice to age, although I know one of you long time collectors with thousands of parts will win...I'll try my best!

A crawler is like an extreme off-road vehicle and almost everything is invented in lego, except for changes in the body and any news of wonderful minds... many cars will closely resemble those we already know, and that's the real challenge, anyone who can do something new, playable and relatively simple could win, although I have no idea what criteria they have lego. Maybe the concept tatra-crawler born :laugh: . I think I can do something decent in less than a month... :sweet: .