Sign in to follow this  
Paperballpark

Airjitzu flying machines

Has anyone managed to make the Airjitzu flyers actually controllable? As in, hook them up to PF?

I bought the parts for one a few weeks ago, and after a bit of brick mutilation, managed to hook up a PF motor.

The video can be seen here: https://flic.kr/p/Ke1cW8 (spoiler: it didn't fly).

I replaced the motor with an XL one, and added some more gears to make it faster still, but it still didn't even get close to lifting. I'm wondering whether I need yet more power, or maybe four going at once, or maybe they're just not meant to actually fly in the way I'm trying to get them to?

Also, any tips on how to embed a flickr video would be appreciated :)

I've seen some people manage to motorize them at a fast enough speed to cancel out or nearly cancel out their weight, but not enough to generate meaningful amounts of lift. Also, you'd need some sort of additional propeller to ensure that the main rotor spins at full speed rather than the body spinning in the opposite direction of the rotor (this is why helicopters have either a second rotor on the tail to stabilize the body of the aircraft, or a second rotor on top spinning the opposite direction of the first).

Small hobbyist-oriented UAVs/drones generally have a "quadcopter" design, but this is not possible with Airjitzu propellors because you need rotors spinning in opposite directions, and Airjitzu propellers are only designed to generate lift by spinning in one direction. So a tail rotor would be your only real option for powered flight.

Also, you'd need some sort of additional propeller to ensure that the main rotor spins at full speed rather than the body spinning in the opposite direction of the rotor (this is why helicopters have either a second rotor on the tail to stabilize the body of the aircraft, or a second rotor on top spinning the opposite direction of the first).

Good point...

I've seen some people manage to motorize them at a fast enough speed to cancel out or nearly cancel out their weight, but not enough to generate meaningful amounts of lift. Also, you'd need some sort of additional propeller to ensure that the main rotor spins at full speed rather than the body spinning in the opposite direction of the rotor (this is why helicopters have either a second rotor on the tail to stabilize the body of the aircraft, or a second rotor on top spinning the opposite direction of the first).

Small hobbyist-oriented UAVs/drones generally have a "quadcopter" design, but this is not possible with Airjitzu propellors because you need rotors spinning in opposite directions, and Airjitzu propellers are only designed to generate lift by spinning in one direction. So a tail rotor would be your only real option for powered flight.

Is a pity that they don't make a version with an inverted design so that they could be more easily adapted to make a quadcopter. Edited by BrickCurve

Oh, I thought you meant control them in the air... That would be weird.

But i'm sure the prototype will eventually be successful.

Nice! I wanted to avoid cutting the piece but may have to do so.

How did the Airjitzu Flyer stay attached to the launcher? What about remotely moving that away and letting the Flyer launch separate from the pad. Not the same as powered flight but could be a cool way to race them.

Instead of lift, I'm thinking thrust. I'm tempted to try and build would be a working airboat. Remember the original Airjitzu was only strong enough to lift a single minifigure. So I wonder if it will push a small boat on water..

The gear keeps the flyer attached, as the bottom part can't go up past the gear.

And you do have to cut the piece, it isn't possible to gear it otherwise.