Brutus

Chosing Fabric for Cape and Method for making custom capes and other s

Hello all,

Well, I have picked up LEGO once again since both my son and daugther have started to build a lot of different sets; and I guess for me it all started by building the Millienium Falcon and the Death Star and now I'm hooked. But I'm really a fantasy guy and I want to make custom capes and other stuff to start doing my own custom minifig.

I have look thru some of your tutorials but I wonder if any one have experience of printing with an InkJet Printer on some kind of fabric. I have looked at Lamanda's stuff and they look really awesome but I want to make some of my own. I have look at MMCB webpage as well but it seems quite time consuming and I wonder if anyone have tried to just to print with an advance inkjet printer on a special fabric.

If so, which printer and what kind of fabric? I know that really advance Epson printers like 4880 and such cut the deal but I wonder if anyone have tried the Epson 2880 or the new Canon 9500 Mark II to print on fabric?

Many thanks,

Brutus

Welcome to Eurobricks Brutus!

Paper printed on both sides works remarkably well in combination with a laser printer.

2591788879_8dc51f0c78.jpg

2591789017_b003627231.jpg

Those are paper, and they look quite good for 5 minutes of work. Might be possible with a inkjet too.

If you are bent on fabric, then my tip is take some samples, and experiment

Edited by Stauder

Hi!!! I've never printed directly on the fabric. What I do is to print over an iron-on transfer paper (I use one produce by canso, but Avery and almost any paper brand have their own). After it dries, I iron it over the selected fabric. I usually use a fabric that, at least here, is calle microfibre. It's a good choice, since it doesn't fry too much. I also use some clear cota over the canvas once I'm finished. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stauder (nice capes by the way),

yes would like to get their emails if possible. I would like to try fabrics in the first place and if that does not cut it I'll go for paper.

Thanks a lot,

Jonas

Thanks Frogstudio,

I'll try the iron-on transfer paper and microfibre solution and see where it gets me...

Thanks a lot,

Jonas

I'd PM you the e-mail adresses, but it seems your PM messanger is disabled due to your low post count. 

I'd prefer not to post their emails out in the open here, so I will PM them to you when your PMs are turned on (10 posts was it?).

Until then, good luck with your capes!

Stauder.

Yepp, my post count should now be three as I just started posting here...

Thanks,

Brutus

I've printed on a number of different fabrics. When I first started off I used printable art canvas which can be costly ($10 for 5 sheets) but it's resistant to fraying and is perfect for printing on, but recently I've switched to cotton poplin, which is what mmcb uses, but you have to use fabric stiffener to make it rigid enough for it to hold up. I suggest buying Liquitex matte medium to stiffen the fabric.

Thanks for you input PrincessAriana,

Since I'm buying a new printer anyway for my photography I'm curious which printer you are using?

Well, my main interest is still making really nice prints for my photography but if I would be able to print some really nice caps, sails etc... to my family's minifigs it would be a really nice bonus. I have been looking at Epsons 2880, 3880 and Canons new 9500 Mark II but according to my local shop they were unsure if they would be able to print on fabric.

Thanks,

Brutus