Kai NRG

Ch II: Team DeGothia: Cat A: Lookout!

Rex keeps an eye out on the Avalonian coastline for suspicious ships...

14416171746_d304c5ae1a.jpg

Front view:

14416170296_31e9e4e3b4.jpg

My tree! Quite uncomfortably delicate.

14435951071_ee83da141e.jpg

An underwater shot:

14437964362_4c21ca6209.jpg

A quick little build so I could make it in for Cat. A. Hope you enjoyed it!

I'd like to apply for UoP DoH credit for tree #1, (Landscape Design), underwater (Hydrology), history #1 (History; not one of the double scene ones), and forced perspective (General Building).

Thanks for checking it out!

Great work with this! The forced perspective and ship are superb, as is the underwater section. +1 UoP DoH for all claims

+1 All claims. Superb forced perspective and water, and that fragile tree is lovely. Great build.

+1 UoP vote for Landscape Design: Tree 1; Hydrology: Underwater; and General Building: Forced Perspective. I'm not read deep enough into Historica yet to comment on History, but it's a really cool build!

Thanks everyone!

...I do have a question though, is that a fish or a whale? :laugh:

:rofl: You have a point there! A fish, I guess.

+1 All claims. Superb forced perspective and water, and that fragile tree is lovely. Great build.

Thanks robuko!

+1 UoP vote for Landscape Design: Tree 1; Hydrology: Underwater; and General Building: Forced Perspective. I'm not read deep enough into Historica yet to comment on History, but it's a really cool build!

Well this is what the DoH program says, "you must build three MOCs depicting significant events in Kaliphlin's history (you make up the events, or use whatever existing history there is)," so I don't suppose you have to know a whole lot about the History to judge it. But that's okay, I can probably get the credit somewhere else! Thanks!

I'd give you +1 but I was beat to it by 4 others :wink: Anyway, very cool build. Great forced perspective here

I'd give you +1 but I was beat to it by 4 others :wink: Anyway, very cool build. Great forced perspective here

Does that mean you give me a +1 for History? I only have three so far. :sweet:

Thanks!

Good work on cranking out this sweet little Cat A build at the last minute, Kai! :thumbup: Lots to like here - the forced perspective in the first shot works really well (i love that microscale ship!), the spindly tree and the detailed underwater scene. The UoP credits you applied for here certainly were well chosen! :classic:

However, i'm less sure about your application for the history credit. Here is the description of the subject from the wiki:

"A special discipline, wherein you must build three MOCs depicting significant events in Kaliphlin's history (you make up the events, or use whatever existing history there is). You must also supply a story of suitable length and quality describing the historical event pictured. At least two of the history builds must consist of at least three different pictures, either different scenes altogether, or the same scene at different moments in time, with changes to the scene such as figure movement."

Here are some questions that you might want to consider about this moc (as it relates to Kaliphlin history): What significant historical event is being portrayed here? Do you think that portraying current events (in the GoH timeline) counts as history? Is portraying an event that takes place in Avalonia suitable for a subject about Kaliphlin history? Do you think that you have provided enough background story for the viewer to understand the historical significance of the event in your moc?

You already have approval for this subject, so these questions might seem a bit redundant. However, if you have trouble answering them for yourself, then you might want to try for the subject again. But if you do decide to claim the history credit for this build (as you have every right to do now), then you might want to apply these questions to your next history build, in order to better understand the requirements of the subject.

I hope you don't think i've been too harsh with this critique btw, the history subject seems like one of the more demanding in the UoP course, so i think it's inevitable that there is going to be some confusion surrounding it. Great build anyway! :classic:

Then, yes I do!

Thanks!

<snip>

Thanks Gabe, I appreciate the thoughts. You certainly do have a point there, in fact when I re-read it the second time both the point about it not necessarily being Kaliphlin history and the rather short story bugged me a bit. As far as the story it was pretty easy to satisfy myself that, even though I hadn't written it, the essentially 'supplied' history behind Ch. II fit well enough. You are right though that it doesn't really pertain to Kaliphlin History at all. Given that, and that it shouldn't be too hard to re-apply for the credit with a different build, I think I will take the claim back.

I had definitely planned a bit more on topic for my next two - continuations of my 'Tales from the Past' storyline (yeah, it's been a while since I did anything with that!). Shouldn't be hard to make that three!

Have I misunderstood the FP thing.? Shouldn´t the microship be blurry and the minifig sharp? Or could you do both types? Right now we see all the small details on the ship giving it (to me) a tiny look...

But I love the moc itself! The waves and the tree are so good!! :wub:

Have I misunderstood the FP thing.? Shouldn´t the microship be blurry and the minifig sharp? Or could you do both types? Right now we see all the small details on the ship giving it (to me) a tiny look...

But I love the moc itself! The waves and the tree are so good!! :wub:

I suppose, normally, the FP should focus on what's closest (but think the actual definition is just using different scales to give the illusion of distance; “A technique that employs optical illusion to make an object appear farther away, closer, larger or smaller than it actually is. It is used primarily in photography, filmmaking and architecture. It manipulates human visual perception through the use of scaled objects and the correlation between them and the vantage point of the spectator or camera.”). In this case, I wanted to give the feeling that you were looking over the guy's shoulder - plus, the ship is the focus of the build, so I kinda thought that's what I should focus on. And, that's what my camera took, too!

Thanks!

Nice forced perspective shot Kai! I really like the vines of the tree too...! :thumbup:

Very nice work! The ship, the tree, and the water all look really good!

Thanks Thomas!

Nice forced perspective shot Kai! I really like the vines of the tree too...! :thumbup:

Thanks Gunman! :classic:

Sweet vignette, Kai. The underwater section is really neat and your tree design looks superb, especially how you have roots clinging to the back of the build :thumbup: Nice microscale ship as well :classic:

Cool scene Kai. The tree and underwater shot are very nicely done. Great work with the forced perspective too!

I love the black roots on the backside of the build.

Thanks! I was hoping those would be noticed!

Sweet vignette, Kai. The underwater section is really neat and your tree design looks superb, especially how you have roots clinging to the back of the build :thumbup: Nice microscale ship as well :classic:

Thanks SK! I was actually surprised by how well the underwater picture turned out!

Cool scene Kai. The tree and underwater shot are very nicely done. Great work with the forced perspective too!

Thanks ME!