Pickbricker89

Big Ben clock turning issue

I just recently purchased the 10253 Creator Big Ben set and it is pretty freaking awesome. The detail is phenomenal and the structural integrity still surprises me. I can move it around with almost no casualties!

However, I'm having major issues getting the "clock turning" feature to work. The hands move fine, albeit a little "sticky", before attaching the final module of the tower to the base, and the knob and respective gears turn smoothly on the base. Once it's all fitted in, though, it won't budge using the handle in the back. I've tried loosening the gears, making sure they're not too snug to turn, etc., but the gears in the base actually slip out of place if I try turning it too forcefully. Has anyone else had this issue yet?

What I'm afraid of is that the Technic rod used in the vertical tower bit is just too long to not have any strengthening joints, so the tension of all four clock faces is too much for the small gears to distribute the force. Also, the rod in my set was slightly bent (but if you have any technic pieces of this length, you know they are somewhat bendable and can be straightened out), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If anyone has had this issue, I'd love to hear your solution(s) or feedback. I'm mainly curious if it's a minor design oversight or a piece defect on my end. Thank you!

Note: Don't get me wrong; this set is totally worth the hype and I'm completely ecstatic over it, save for this minor bug.

Hmm, do you have a picture of the issue? It's a bit tricky to tell form just a description. You have doubled checked that part of the model against the instructions right?

I just recently purchased the 10253 Creator Big Ben set and it is pretty freaking awesome. The detail is phenomenal and the structural integrity still surprises me. I can move it around with almost no casualties!

However, I'm having major issues getting the "clock turning" feature to work. The hands move fine, albeit a little "sticky", before attaching the final module of the tower to the base, and the knob and respective gears turn smoothly on the base. Once it's all fitted in, though, it won't budge using the handle in the back. I've tried loosening the gears, making sure they're not too snug to turn, etc., but the gears in the base actually slip out of place if I try turning it too forcefully. Has anyone else had this issue yet?

What I'm afraid of is that the Technic rod used in the vertical tower bit is just too long to not have any strengthening joints, so the tension of all four clock faces is too much for the small gears to distribute the force. Also, the rod in my set was slightly bent (but if you have any technic pieces of this length, you know they are somewhat bendable and can be straightened out), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If anyone has had this issue, I'd love to hear your solution(s) or feedback. I'm mainly curious if it's a minor design oversight or a piece defect on my end. Thank you!

Note: Don't get me wrong; this set is totally worth the hype and I'm completely ecstatic over it, save for this minor bug.

Have you contacted TLG yet? That would be a good idea, send them a picture as well, they have a support centre, try that.